Selection Interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by muskovardo, Jul 8, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys

Sorry if its just poor searching skills on my behalf or if i am maybe going into too much detail. I have been researching stuff for my interview on Friday. Confident on all of the competency based questions that i will be asked but the thing i am wondering is what depth will i need to know what my job involves.

I am applying as a ETME (SM). I have obviously read the job specification from the RN careers section on the website. From that i understand that i will be doing maintenance on your submarine’s systems, meaning air and water purification to engines and power-generation equipment and also on nuclear reactor itself. I when i sea i will be part of damage control and firefighting team. When not at sea am i think that its maintenance and fixing/diagnosing faults?

I was just wondering if this was enough detail for the interview or weather they would expect me to go into more depth. I have also been looking into how nuclear reactors work and other systems but being a qualified electrician i know abit about that.

Cheers guys

2. cal

cal Midshipman

It should be enough, as I don't think I was even asked about my specific job. I think there was actually only two questions specific to the navy:

1. "Why do you want to join the royal navy?"
    2."What can you tell me about phase 1 training?"

3. Cheers for that Cal. Think im just getting nervous and over analyzing. Have passed the interview before but that was on the old process so thinking that it is slightly different! Think i want it more now because i'v already F****d it up once.

4. You won't work on the reactor until you're a senior rate, just knowing it's a steam raising plant is sufficient.

At sea you'll either be watchkeeping aft in the engine room or watchkeeping fwd in the control room carrying out minor defect repairs and maintenance on watch.
    Alongside it's balls out defect repair and heavy maintenance (plus duties and watchkeeping whilst your duty) getting the boat ready to go back out again.

Submarines don't have standing firefighting teams and don't do damage control as such, that's a surface fleet thing.

5. Thanks for that WreckerL, ill make sure all that stays in the brain. Think i may need to chill out and stop worrying!

6. Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for your help. Also had my interview today and used some of this info and passed