Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection Interview

muskovardo

Lantern Swinger
Hey guys

Sorry if its just poor searching skills on my behalf or if i am maybe going into too much detail. I have been researching stuff for my interview on Friday. Confident on all of the competency based questions that i will be asked but the thing i am wondering is what depth will i need to know what my job involves.

I am applying as a ETME (SM). I have obviously read the job specification from the RN careers section on the website. From that i understand that i will be doing maintenance on your submarine’s systems, meaning air and water purification to engines and power-generation equipment and also on nuclear reactor itself. I when i sea i will be part of damage control and firefighting team. When not at sea am i think that its maintenance and fixing/diagnosing faults?

I was just wondering if this was enough detail for the interview or weather they would expect me to go into more depth. I have also been looking into how nuclear reactors work and other systems but being a qualified electrician i know abit about that.

Cheers guys

cal

Midshipman
It should be enough, as I don't think I was even asked about my specific job. I think there was actually only two questions specific to the navy:

1. "Why do you want to join the royal navy?"
2."What can you tell me about phase 1 training?"

muskovardo

Lantern Swinger
Cheers for that Cal. Think im just getting nervous and over analyzing. Have passed the interview before but that was on the old process so thinking that it is slightly different! Think i want it more now because i'v already F****d it up once.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hey guys

Sorry if its just poor searching skills on my behalf or if i am maybe going into too much detail. I have been researching stuff for my interview on Friday. Confident on all of the competency based questions that i will be asked but the thing i am wondering is what depth will i need to know what my job involves.

I am applying as a ETME (SM). I have obviously read the job specification from the RN careers section on the website. From that i understand that i will be doing maintenance on your submarine’s systems, meaning air and water purification to engines and power-generation equipment and also on nuclear reactor itself. I when i sea i will be part of damage control and firefighting team. When not at sea am i think that its maintenance and fixing/diagnosing faults?

I was just wondering if this was enough detail for the interview or weather they would expect me to go into more depth. I have also been looking into how nuclear reactors work and other systems but being a qualified electrician i know abit about that.

Cheers guys

You won't work on the reactor until you're a senior rate, just knowing it's a steam raising plant is sufficient.

At sea you'll either be watchkeeping aft in the engine room or watchkeeping fwd in the control room carrying out minor defect repairs and maintenance on watch.
Alongside it's balls out defect repair and heavy maintenance (plus duties and watchkeeping whilst your duty) getting the boat ready to go back out again.

Submarines don't have standing firefighting teams and don't do damage control as such, that's a surface fleet thing.

muskovardo

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for that WreckerL, ill make sure all that stays in the brain. Think i may need to chill out and stop worrying!

Doughie

Midshipman
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for your help. Also had my interview today and used some of this info and passed

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
A Changing role after successful selection interview Joining the Royal Navy 16
9 Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Selection Interview for AET Joining the Royal Navy 15
LeedsBornLeedsBred My Royal Navy selection interview experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Ghost29 Rating selection interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Ghost29 Selection interview for ET(WE) Joining the Royal Navy 4
W Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Selection interview help ET(ME) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Another set of questions on Selection Interview. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
1 Aircraft controller selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Subbers Aircrewman Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
W Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Time line from selection interview to completing eyetest question. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
IlikeB33r ETME(SF) Selection Interview pointers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S AET Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
W Selection interview! Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
muskovardo Selection interview - Planning and organising Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MrClements New Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MrClements New Selection Interview Diamond Lil's 3
R Is the selection interview on the same day as the recruitment test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Red_Ferny Passed my selection interview! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
G Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Selection interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C Selection interview help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J Selection Interview questions/HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
R Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
OMM passed selection interview ET-WE 4-12-12 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
L Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Changing job selection after succesful selection interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Selection Interview Success !!! Realistic chances of a commission ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Selection Interview 2 questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Level of detail required for service knowledge in Selection Interview and then AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
L Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 53
B need a bit of help- selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
J afco cancelled selection interview for Aib Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
W Pilot Interview (Before Selection) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
R Officer Selection- Initial Interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
mandon75 Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Selection Interview - Fleet Air Arm Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
B Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
B passed my selection interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
shotty13 AIB. All about Admiralty Interview Board - Officer Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3129
theymademedoit Cup my balls! A GUIDE TO THE SELECTION INTERVIEW AND MEDICAL Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
slim Gender Identification and Selection Diamond Lil's 13
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO General Council: DG Selection Process MoD News 0
B AA AE selection Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO General Council on the Director General Selection Process MoD News 0