Selection Interview

Got my selection interview next week im hoping to become a MA. Can anyone let me know what sort of questions I may be asked about my chosen trade? Also can you inform me on where I may serve after I qualify?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Typical questions are:

How long is Initial Naval Training, what does it involve
Where is MA Training based and how long does it take
What types of ships/submarines could you be drafted to
What is the minimum period you must serve
What is your starting pay
How long is your contract

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To narrow it down a bit, MA's tend not to serve routinely on small ships (Hunt, Sandown, River class, P2000's).

The bigger the ship, the larger the medical contingent. On frigates there are usually LMA's.

Shore-side, all Naval base areas including Commando Units (30, 40, 42, 43, 45, Poole, CTC)

I printed off ninjas notes from t'other thread to help in my prep, aside from all of those points is it good to have a good grasp of current affairs navy related? I have been reading navy news from the last few months and have the navy on twitter and facebook so i get updated with news- is that enough? Also how in depth in regards to the current fleet might they go- i know a fair few of the ships and their class etc, is it worth researching it more in depth? Fanx guysss

LaurenMc

Lantern Swinger
I printed off ninjas notes from t'other thread to help in my prep, aside from all of those points is it good to have a good grasp of current affairs navy related? I have been reading navy news from the last few months and have the navy on twitter and facebook so i get updated with news- is that enough? Also how in depth in regards to the current fleet might they go- i know a fair few of the ships and their class etc, is it worth researching it more in depth? Fanx guysss
I was asked what ships are there, i also had to name the type 45's. I was briefly asked about what ships are out on deployment now and what ships will i be on. They won't try and trick you out, what you know will most likely be plenty.

Good luck girrrrrl you will be fine x

FireMonkey

Lantern Swinger
Make sure you know about key aspects of phase 1 training. A week ago I had an update interview/catch up and totally bombed when asked about Phase 1 as I have been focusing too much on other aspects, which I guess didn't really look good in the eyes of my CA.

Make sure you know about key aspects of phase 1 training. A week ago I had an update interview/catch up and totally bombed when asked about Phase 1 as I have been focusing too much on other aspects, which I guess didn't really look good in the eyes of my CA.
Is your CA a little dim, does he not realise your a "Diver" and therefore have no real requirement to know about, what is in reality for divers the attend only course that is phase 1? :grin:

Good effort on sharing this to save anyone else the embarrassment you may have had to endure at the time!

FireMonkey

Lantern Swinger
Is your CA a little dim, does he not realise your a "Diver" and therefore have no real requirement to know about, what is in reality for divers the attend only course that is phase 1? :grin:

Good effort on sharing this to save anyone else the embarrassment you may have had to endure at the time!
Not dim, but I think he was a little concerned when he asked "What will you be doing during phase 1" and I replied with "learn to tie knots and identify whore houses...you know, learn be a matlot". It's all okay though as I managed to really impress him later on by showing him how well polished my personal mirror is.

I was asked what ships are there, i also had to name the type 45's. I was briefly asked about what ships are out on deployment now and what ships will i be on. They won't try and trick you out, what you know will most likely be plenty.

Good luck girrrrrl you will be fine x
Good job it wasn't 30 to 50 years ago when we had a big fleet.

The interview time would be taken up naming a goodly few vessels!!!!! :grin:

"What will you be doing during phase 1" and I replied with "learn to tie knots and identify whore houses...you know, learn be a matlot".
Sure ya did ;) With the mirror gag as well I am gathering this is a joke, but you are applying for diver so...it's not impossible haha

Thanks for the advice about phase 1 though, I have watched the BBC series even though it is from 2010 and outdated as it's only 8 weeks (I think), I have also read some of the recruit diaries on the website which hopefully reflect the current structure and that- hopefully it's enough!

FireMonkey

Lantern Swinger
I keep it on me wherever i go!

Being serious, I forgot to mention things like damage control, firefighting, first aid and NBC training etc. But in my defence this was a "catch up" so I didn't expect to be quizzed on the same material as my selection interview.