Selection Interview

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gumble10, May 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got my selection interview next week im hoping to become a MA. Can anyone let me know what sort of questions I may be asked about my chosen trade? Also can you inform me on where I may serve after I qualify?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. Ninja_Stoker

Typical questions are:

How long is Initial Naval Training, what does it involve
    Where is MA Training based and how long does it take
    What types of ships/submarines could you be drafted to
    What is the minimum period you must serve
    What is your starting pay
    How long is your contract

• Like Like x 1
  4. What types of ships/submarines could you be drafted to?

Could you inform on where an MA could serve please. Thanks

5. This could get a bit tedious. You will serve wherever the Navy requires you to.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

To narrow it down a bit, MA's tend not to serve routinely on small ships (Hunt, Sandown, River class, P2000's).

The bigger the ship, the larger the medical contingent. On frigates there are usually LMA's.

Shore-side, all Naval base areas including Commando Units (30, 40, 42, 43, 45, Poole, CTC)

7. Ok thank you. Also a quick one what's the difference between a first class medic and a second class medic?

8. Ninja_Stoker

MA2 is a trainee, MA1 is a trained rank.

9. I printed off ninjas notes from t'other thread to help in my prep, aside from all of those points is it good to have a good grasp of current affairs navy related? I have been reading navy news from the last few months and have the navy on twitter and facebook so i get updated with news- is that enough? Also how in depth in regards to the current fleet might they go- i know a fair few of the ships and their class etc, is it worth researching it more in depth? Fanx guysss

10. I was asked what ships are there, i also had to name the type 45's. I was briefly asked about what ships are out on deployment now and what ships will i be on. They won't try and trick you out, what you know will most likely be plenty.

Good luck girrrrrl you will be fine x

11. Make sure you know about key aspects of phase 1 training. A week ago I had an update interview/catch up and totally bombed when asked about Phase 1 as I have been focusing too much on other aspects, which I guess didn't really look good in the eyes of my CA.

12. Is your CA a little dim, does he not realise your a "Diver" and therefore have no real requirement to know about, what is in reality for divers the attend only course that is phase 1? :grin:

Good effort on sharing this to save anyone else the embarrassment you may have had to endure at the time!

13. Not dim, but I think he was a little concerned when he asked "What will you be doing during phase 1" and I replied with "learn to tie knots and identify whore houses...you know, learn be a matlot". It's all okay though as I managed to really impress him later on by showing him how well polished my personal mirror is.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Good job it wasn't 30 to 50 years ago when we had a big fleet.

The interview time would be taken up naming a goodly few vessels!!!!! :grin:

15. Sure ya did ;) With the mirror gag as well I am gathering this is a joke, but you are applying for diver so...it's not impossible haha

Thanks for the advice about phase 1 though, I have watched the BBC series even though it is from 2010 and outdated as it's only 8 weeks (I think), I have also read some of the recruit diaries on the website which hopefully reflect the current structure and that- hopefully it's enough!

16. I keep it on me wherever i go!
    [​IMG]

Being serious, I forgot to mention things like damage control, firefighting, first aid and NBC training etc. But in my defence this was a "catch up" so I didn't expect to be quizzed on the same material as my selection interview.