Selection Interview

Cfish3r

I suppose that depends on your definition of okay.
I really hope so.

My AS grade were:
Physics - B
Computing - A
Photography - A.
(which gives me 150 UCAS points).
General Studies - A (Is General Studies even accepted???)

Which gives me a good start.
I would like to think, that I would realistically at least get:
Physics - D
Photography - B
Computing - C
General - B.

Sparkasaurus

Badgeman
That's a pretty drastic drop. A single grade drop from AS GCE to A GCE could be expected due to the ramp up in difficulty (often just be a couple of marks).

I did some mock interview preparation with college students who were applying to University at my old college. I'm not sure what the ACLO's are expecting in SIFT interviews, but I imagine you'd at least have to explain what happened and what the weakness was - this was what I expected them to explain if there were significant changes in grade patterns between GCSE and AS-GCE. Officer training is, in parts at least, academic.

Submarinerjoey

Midshipman
I have passed selection interview what can i expect from the PRNC?

yEEEES!:headbang: I have passed my Selection interview! Am just waiting for security checks to go through and a joining date? Does anyone know how long the security vetting takes roughly ? as i passed my interview bout a week and a half ago and it still says in progress when i check online . Also what can i expect from the PRNC. I know about the run of 1.5 miles but what else

Graeme

Badgeman
yEEEES!:headbang: I have passed my Selection interview! Am just waiting for security checks to go through and a joining date? Does anyone know how long the security vetting takes roughly ? as i passed my interview bout a week and a half ago and it still says in progress when i check online . Also what can i expect from the PRNC. I know about the run of 1.5 miles but what else

Mines took about 2 weeks from me completing the online form to getting security clearance, but times vary, it could be 2 weeks to 2 months nobody knows.

Regarding your PRNC questions, there is a page about it on the Navy's website

Royal Navy Acquaint Days | Royal Navy

Submarinerjoey

Midshipman
Ok thanks , now my online portal says completed but AFCO still haven't rang me . When I called a week ago they said they were waiting for my starting date and that they would contact me. I feel I should ring them but i don't want to harass them. How long roughly does this whole process take as its been about three weeks since I passed my interview?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ok thanks , now my online portal says completed but AFCO still haven't rang me . When I called a week ago they said they were waiting for my starting date and that they would contact me. I feel I should ring them but i don't want to harass them. How long roughly does this whole process take as its been about three weeks since I passed my interview?

If the portal indicates "SC- Completed" it means you're now security cleared. Your AFCO will receive notification, so no point ringing to tell them.

Generally entry dates are allocated a couple of terms ahead. If joining as a STD(SM) your AFCO will have advised approximate waiting times, so unless you've been told otherwise, those passing the Recruiting Test in the first half of this year could expect an entry date in the last quarter of next year, and would probably be notified of the entry date in the first quarter of next year.

Good luck.

SCRAM-2012

Midshipman
Had my Selection interview today and passed. this advice was tremendously helpful thanks. However photos not required for Navy just Royals. pissed away a fiver just in case.

SCRAM-2012

Midshipman
"ISeeThreeShips;1115615]Well done! Was it what you were expecting?"

Thanks ET (MESM) clearance and PRNC dependant but should start at Raleigh end of September.

The interview was exactly as Ninja_stoker posted.
Its hard to know how much prep to do for service knowledge. Most important to know exactly what your role, terms of service and training will be. I was asked for the displacement / length of the Astute and type 45 don't think it would have mattered if I didn't know, just that I understood just how huge Astute is.

As an older guy with a wife and a kid very important to demonstrate that my family is supportive and understands that I will be away from home for long periods. Also made it clear that My wife and I had a clear plan for the future and the decision to join the Navy involved my wife.

Last edited:

Latest Threads