Selection Interview

thanks for that slime on89, i somehow managed to find the folder i got given in year 11 and it basically had all the stuff in it you mentioned.
Made me feel a lot better ha!
thanks again!

Chris1337

Midshipman
Does anyone have the link to the old thread with the same info Nina_Stoker provided?

I recall a few old posts that was useful for those who were a failure at school/education (me) and has nothing to show for the interview..

Any help/advice with the educational section of the interview would be appreciated..

Would it be worth my while taking my CV with what i've done since leaving school to elaberate on - or is that pointless?

Cheers

Cfish3r

Figured I would dig up this old thread rather than start a new one...

I am applying for Warfare officer. I have my sift interview on Wednesday.
I had a bit of a rough time at college, I did well enough in the first year, but my attendance really became quite poor in the second year.
I am not really sure. I never really skipped lessons as such, but there is no excuse.

I am really worried that this is going to bite me in my interview some how; It's my fault I know. How can i minimise the damage this one foolish year of my life will cause?
I really tried very hard at school, and I really regret my second year of college, and I know that I would give my career 150%.

Will the interviewer be looking at any reports from my college?
Has anyone been in a similar situation? What have you said?

Sparkasaurus

Badgeman
Not sure how it works when applying from college but I imagine they'll just be looking at your results and not an attendance report from the college? If it significantly affected your performance in 2nd year then I could see them asking why that happened? Hopefully NS or Soliel will be around shortly to provide a more useful answer!

Cfish3r

If it helps, I am working full time between the end of college (a month ago) and whenever I get in, if I get in.
My Sift interview is on Wednesday...

That is the only real area I think I could fall down on significantly. Unfortunately, I don't have a decent answer for why my attendance fell. I just had a really bad year, and found it difficult to sort it out.

My work attendance and performance has been pretty good though. I have been working part time at the same place for three years, and am now full time there. (it's an office job).

soleil

War Hero
Figured I would dig up this old thread rather than start a new one...

I am applying for Warfare officer. I have my sift interview on Wednesday.
I had a bit of a rough time at college, I did well enough in the first year, but my attendance really became quite poor in the second year.
I am not really sure. I never really skipped lessons as such, but there is no excuse.

I am really worried that this is going to bite me in my interview some how; It's my fault I know. How can i minimise the damage this one foolish year of my life will cause?
I really tried very hard at school, and I really regret my second year of college, and I know that I would give my career 150%.

Will the interviewer be looking at any reports from my college?
Has anyone been in a similar situation? What have you said?

Are you well prepared in other respects for your Sift Interview? Is your knowledge of the Service good and do you have examples you can give demonstrating your leadership potential?

Cfish3r

My service knowledge is pretty good. I am aware of the current deployments, along with which ships more or less are at each.
I know my ship types, most weapon systems, + aircraft. I know a small amount about the rifles etc.
I am aware of at least some of the future plans, a bit about the strategic review. Things like that.

I can think of at least one strong example of leadership, and another where I worked closely in a team, some of which involved leadership.

During school, for which I was virtually a model student due to being in Boarding School, I took part in what is called a Business Enterprise scheme, which involves setting up companies. I was a director in the leading company for my school, which turned around £3k a year in profit which isn't bad considering it is run solely by students, on essentially your lunch breaks.

Also I completed my Duke of Edinburgh silver, and am working towards my Gold which involves some leadership and a lot of team work.

My 'attendance' for both my work places, (I had two part time jobs during college) along with the volunteer position I do on a Saturday morning has been pretty good, so perhaps they would look at that?

Also, now that I have been working full time for a few months, would they not take that in to consideration more so than college as it is more recent? And I have been with the employer for three years which is longer than I spent at college?

I would like to think that things like that outweigh that final year of college.

Cfish3r

Sorry, I'm not really sure what I am expecting you lot to reply with.
I suppose I am just trying to reassure myself more than anything.

Nobody can give me a magic answer that will make them ignore it. I will just have to see how it goes, and be as honest as I can, which is, I am not really sure what happened, but I know I made a mistake, but it is something that will not happen again.

Latest Threads