Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selection Interview

Hey, just a quick question regarding the certs and National Record of Achievement. I left school and college a while ago now and only really have my degree from university available to hand to bring with me to my interview. What exactly do they expect you to have with you?!

thanks for the reply... sorry if this is completely moronic but what does your NRA include? The only thing that comes to mind for me is something I was given back in secondary school

slime_on89

Midshipman
My NRA includes a summary from all my subject teachers about how I performed years 7-11, any certificates I may have picked up on the way e.g Attendance Certificates etc, and i've put all my a level certificates and anything related in there.

thanks for that slime on89, i somehow managed to find the folder i got given in year 11 and it basically had all the stuff in it you mentioned.
Made me feel a lot better ha!
thanks again!

Chris1337

Midshipman
Does anyone have the link to the old thread with the same info Nina_Stoker provided?

I recall a few old posts that was useful for those who were a failure at school/education (me) and has nothing to show for the interview..

Any help/advice with the educational section of the interview would be appreciated..

Would it be worth my while taking my CV with what i've done since leaving school to elaberate on - or is that pointless?

Cheers

Cfish3r

Figured I would dig up this old thread rather than start a new one...

I am applying for Warfare officer. I have my sift interview on Wednesday.
I had a bit of a rough time at college, I did well enough in the first year, but my attendance really became quite poor in the second year.
I am not really sure. I never really skipped lessons as such, but there is no excuse.

I am really worried that this is going to bite me in my interview some how; It's my fault I know. How can i minimise the damage this one foolish year of my life will cause?
I really tried very hard at school, and I really regret my second year of college, and I know that I would give my career 150%.

Will the interviewer be looking at any reports from my college?
Has anyone been in a similar situation? What have you said?

Sparkasaurus

Badgeman
Not sure how it works when applying from college but I imagine they'll just be looking at your results and not an attendance report from the college? If it significantly affected your performance in 2nd year then I could see them asking why that happened? Hopefully NS or Soliel will be around shortly to provide a more useful answer!

Cfish3r

If it helps, I am working full time between the end of college (a month ago) and whenever I get in, if I get in.
My Sift interview is on Wednesday...

That is the only real area I think I could fall down on significantly. Unfortunately, I don't have a decent answer for why my attendance fell. I just had a really bad year, and found it difficult to sort it out.

My work attendance and performance has been pretty good though. I have been working part time at the same place for three years, and am now full time there. (it's an office job).

soleil

War Hero
Figured I would dig up this old thread rather than start a new one...

I am applying for Warfare officer. I have my sift interview on Wednesday.
I had a bit of a rough time at college, I did well enough in the first year, but my attendance really became quite poor in the second year.
I am not really sure. I never really skipped lessons as such, but there is no excuse.

I am really worried that this is going to bite me in my interview some how; It's my fault I know. How can i minimise the damage this one foolish year of my life will cause?
I really tried very hard at school, and I really regret my second year of college, and I know that I would give my career 150%.

Will the interviewer be looking at any reports from my college?
Has anyone been in a similar situation? What have you said?

Are you well prepared in other respects for your Sift Interview? Is your knowledge of the Service good and do you have examples you can give demonstrating your leadership potential?

Cfish3r

My service knowledge is pretty good. I am aware of the current deployments, along with which ships more or less are at each.
I know my ship types, most weapon systems, + aircraft. I know a small amount about the rifles etc.
I am aware of at least some of the future plans, a bit about the strategic review. Things like that.

I can think of at least one strong example of leadership, and another where I worked closely in a team, some of which involved leadership.

During school, for which I was virtually a model student due to being in Boarding School, I took part in what is called a Business Enterprise scheme, which involves setting up companies. I was a director in the leading company for my school, which turned around £3k a year in profit which isn't bad considering it is run solely by students, on essentially your lunch breaks.

Also I completed my Duke of Edinburgh silver, and am working towards my Gold which involves some leadership and a lot of team work.

My 'attendance' for both my work places, (I had two part time jobs during college) along with the volunteer position I do on a Saturday morning has been pretty good, so perhaps they would look at that?

Also, now that I have been working full time for a few months, would they not take that in to consideration more so than college as it is more recent? And I have been with the employer for three years which is longer than I spent at college?

I would like to think that things like that outweigh that final year of college.

Cfish3r

Sorry, I'm not really sure what I am expecting you lot to reply with.
I suppose I am just trying to reassure myself more than anything.

Nobody can give me a magic answer that will make them ignore it. I will just have to see how it goes, and be as honest as I can, which is, I am not really sure what happened, but I know I made a mistake, but it is something that will not happen again.

Cfish3r

I suppose that depends on your definition of okay.
I really hope so.

My AS grade were:
Physics - B
Computing - A
Photography - A.
(which gives me 150 UCAS points).
General Studies - A (Is General Studies even accepted???)

Which gives me a good start.
I would like to think, that I would realistically at least get:
Physics - D
Photography - B
Computing - C
General - B.

Sparkasaurus

Badgeman
That's a pretty drastic drop. A single grade drop from AS GCE to A GCE could be expected due to the ramp up in difficulty (often just be a couple of marks).

I did some mock interview preparation with college students who were applying to University at my old college. I'm not sure what the ACLO's are expecting in SIFT interviews, but I imagine you'd at least have to explain what happened and what the weakness was - this was what I expected them to explain if there were significant changes in grade patterns between GCSE and AS-GCE. Officer training is, in parts at least, academic.

Submarinerjoey

Midshipman
I have passed selection interview what can i expect from the PRNC?

yEEEES!:headbang: I have passed my Selection interview! Am just waiting for security checks to go through and a joining date? Does anyone know how long the security vetting takes roughly ? as i passed my interview bout a week and a half ago and it still says in progress when i check online . Also what can i expect from the PRNC. I know about the run of 1.5 miles but what else

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Changing role after successful selection interview Joining the Royal Navy 16
9 Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Selection Interview for AET Joining the Royal Navy 15
LeedsBornLeedsBred My Royal Navy selection interview experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Ghost29 Rating selection interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Ghost29 Selection interview for ET(WE) Joining the Royal Navy 4
W Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Selection interview help ET(ME) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Another set of questions on Selection Interview. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
1 Aircraft controller selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Subbers Aircrewman Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
W Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Time line from selection interview to completing eyetest question. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
IlikeB33r ETME(SF) Selection Interview pointers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S AET Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
muskovardo Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Selection interview! Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
muskovardo Selection interview - Planning and organising Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MrClements New Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MrClements New Selection Interview Diamond Lil's 3
R Is the selection interview on the same day as the recruitment test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Red_Ferny Passed my selection interview! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
G Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S Selection interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C Selection interview help? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J Selection Interview questions/HMS Sultan Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
C selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
R Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
OMM passed selection interview ET-WE 4-12-12 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
L Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Changing job selection after succesful selection interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Selection Interview Success !!! Realistic chances of a commission ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Selection Interview 2 questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Level of detail required for service knowledge in Selection Interview and then AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
B need a bit of help- selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
J afco cancelled selection interview for Aib Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
W Pilot Interview (Before Selection) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
R Officer Selection- Initial Interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
mandon75 Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
D Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Selection Interview - Fleet Air Arm Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
B Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
B passed my selection interview. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
shotty13 AIB. All about Admiralty Interview Board - Officer Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3129
theymademedoit Cup my balls! A GUIDE TO THE SELECTION INTERVIEW AND MEDICAL Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
MoD_RSS UK statement to the WTO General Council: DG Selection Process MoD News 0
B AA AE selection Joining the Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO General Council on the Director General Selection Process MoD News 0
B SELECTION BOARD FOR NURSING Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
R Selection after AIB Joining the Royal Navy 1