Selection interview! Help!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by wallace100, Jun 27, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my selection interview coming up and im trying to revise the criteria given, 'Developmental focus' Teamworking' ect.... However, how much knowledge of the navy and my chosen role will they expect me to have? Alot of the history? will i need to know all current equipment, current operations and what ships are based where ect? How in depth will they go?
    I want to be as well prepared as possible!!
  2. From past experience no history of chosen branch was needed, however I was asked which different ships I could be deployed on and what their specific roles were. I was also asked which ship I would preferred to be deployed on (your answer will have no bearing with regard to which vessel you are initially placed on but its just to show that some though thought has gone into your decision to enter the navy and for the role that you are applying for). Knowledge of current operations for your chosen branch won't hurt although I wasn't asked about this specifically.

Know the application process inside out, rates of pay, rank structure and the info above about your chosen branch and you should be golden. Most of the other questions are regarding your education & motivation to join etc. Best of luck!!!
  3. Sound, cheers mate
  4. I had my interview a month ago, and spent ages revising what types of ship are currently in the fleet, what systems they use etc. and didn't need any of it! (maybe I just got lucky?) You will be asked typical interview questions like; what does the navy do, why do you want to join, what is the training pipeline for your job role. Think of some scenarios you can use when they question you on the criteria given. I was also asked questions like 'when have you had to make a hard decision', 'what has been the most difficult time in your life' they really know how to put you on the spot!
    Of course its good to brush up on everything you mentioned so you can talk about it if such a question is asked. Always looks good if you've done your homework! you probably will also be asked some scenario questions: there will be 4 small cards given to you with different scenarios on, the interviewer will read them out and you will have to tell him/her what you would do in that particular situation and why.
    Don't let your nerves get the better of you, I was absolutely sh*tting myself, I kept jiggling my legs without realising and the interviewer had to keep telling me to stop cos I was making the desk wobble!
    As with any interview, at the end if they ask if you have any questions... always ask questions!

Good Luck!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ask a question if you want an answer to something. Please don't dream-up a bunch of inane questions because you think we want you to ask questions just for the sake of it. We don't. And a punch in the face often offends.

Don't over-think it. Have examples for each of the interview topics, have a fall-back/secondary example.

Where possible, try not to use the same experience for every section as you'll find the snoring a distraction.

Find out as much as you can about your particular job, Initial Naval Training, branch training, equipment, etc.

Be smart, be punctual, be yourself.

Relax. Good luck.
  6. Questions are good. I recommend some of the following:

"So the RN's policy on drugs is fairly well publicised, but once you're actually in it's not that strictly enforced is it?"

"What's the RN's policy on sick leave and how much can I reasonably take in a year?"

"How long after starting training as a steward can I apply for SAS selection?"
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I fear that if I were to interview you, I may offend. ^_~