Selection Interview for AET

craigy

Midshipman
Hi Folks,

Before I begin I've searched the forum before starting this post. I think I've found some information but not sure it's still relevant as some of the posts are now a few years old. I've also been on the RN website which is full of information but I can't seem to find anything on phase 2 training.

I have my selection interview next Thursday for which I'm very excited about. My chosen role is AET and as you know I need to know as much as I can about the role before I get there. I know there's 10 weeks phase 1 at HMS Raleigh and I believe I'd then move onto HMS Sultan for 22 weeks for phase 2a training, is that correct? After phase 2a I believe I then move onto phase 2b which can be at either RAF Marham for F34b, RNAS Culdrose for Merlin Mk2 or RNAS Yeovilton for Wildcat.

I understand (or at least think I do!) that AET's are responsible for maintaining and servicing aircraft prior to and after flying and I'll need to qualify for QM and QS which I believe is during phase 2b.

Postings - I've done loads of searches on this but still can't work out where I may be posted to. It looks like it'll be primarily land based, especially in the early years but once fully qualified I can go to sea, possibly aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth, can anyone help me out with this?

Anything you can help me out with is much appreciated!

Thanks

Craig

***Post edited upon finding more information***

Last edited:

slim

War Hero
Does not matter which aircraft or type of aircraft that you work on so long as you always remenber that you are one of Gods Chosen few :)

slim

War Hero
And the Lord spake to his chosen ones and said "Take up thy Clicky Beds and walk. Come out of the shade and back into the sunshine for those that have sinned will surely take care of your needs for the rest of their time"

huwshpis

War Hero
Soap?? What is this thing you speak of?
I am given to understand, Wrecks, that it is an alkaline compound of fats and other chemicals that is intended to be applied to the human body in a process known as washing. Paraphrasing Mr Wackford Squeers, "Wash" is "to scour, to clean, to make bright", although I was always under the impression that making bright involved old rags and Brasso and was performed under the jaundiced eyes of the Jimmy and the Buffer.

fishhead

War Hero
I am given to understand, Wrecks, that it is an alkaline compound of fats and other chemicals that is intended to be applied to the human body in a process known as washing.
You'll have lost him with that explanation. If you can think of any other use where soap might be used you could try that ;)

WreckerL

War Hero
I am given to understand, Wrecks, that it is an alkaline compound of fats and other chemicals that is intended to be applied to the human body in a process known as washing. Paraphrasing Mr Wackford Squeers, "Wash" is "to scour, to clean, to make bright", although I was always under the impression that making bright involved old rags and Brasso and was performed under the jaundiced eyes of the Jimmy and the Buffer.
Every days a school day. I found spending a day down the battery cleaning the cell tops sufficient, plus playing with lye (potassium hydroxide, also used in soap making) on the electrolyser cleaned your hands well, to the point of removing your fingerprints as well!