Selection after AIB

Ray1218

Midshipman
Hey guys, I have AIB coming up and i was just wondering which way selection works if i am successful at AIB. I know that the selection board will sit before an entry date and select people based on score, roles and needs of service etc. My question is that since I am applying as a direct entry HM officer, would i be selected along with the other warfaires as HM is technically still warfare branch, or if as a direct HM applicant would i be selected out of other HM applicants only. Just wondering what my chances are if i do pass AIB of actually getting selected as I know how many warfare applicants there are.
Thanks

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
At AIB you will be scored based on your performance in all of the assessed tasks. This score will mean that you either pass or fail AIB, as the score has to be above the pass mark. Note that the pass mark doesn't change depending on quotas for intakes - it applies to all candidates fairly.

The selection board will sit 5-6 weeks before the next intake into BRNC. At this point, they will decide amongst themselves which candidates they will offer BRNC slots to based on scores, and also what role will be offered to them. For example, pilot applicants may be offered observer or air traffic controller.

The board will prioritise candidates with the best scores, and so, the chances of you getting into BRNC depend on how well you score at AIB. A high score will make you more competitive for the available spaces, and a score lasts for three intakes (1 year).

I am unsure as to whether or not the board selects candidates specifically for roles, or purely by officer spaces available at BRNC. I suspect - based on the information about aircrew candidates being offered alternative roles - that slots are role-specific and the spaces at BRNC are pre-allocated to a given role (e.g. if there are 10 pilot slots at BRNC out of a total 200+ intake, the 10 pilot candidates with the best AIB scores will be offered a slot. If they are short on observers, the board might look to the remaining batch of pilots who weren't selected for pilot but could be suitable for observer.

The next selection board sits on the 23rd of March for the next intake on the 11th of May.

You will be given an indication at the end of your AIB as to how likely you are to be selected. All you can do is prepare and do your best. Everything else is beyond your control.

Best of luck.

Lovablesnowman

Midshipman
Have we ever got confirmation on whether you're competing against people going for your selected role or everyone in general? For example if I go for warfare officer submariner and score a low pass will I be ahead in the queue compared to warfare officer surface? Say the warfare officer surface gets a higher score than me but fails to get selected for the surface fleet because it's more competitive, is he then offered the submariner role before me (who has a lower AIB score than him but specifically applied for warfare officer submariner)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Passed AIB however told selection unlikely Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G RNR officer aib/branch selection Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
W AIB Selection Board Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
S Level of detail required for service knowledge in Selection Interview and then AIB? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
J afco cancelled selection interview for Aib Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B Post AIB Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
shotty13 AIB. All about Admiralty Interview Board - Officer Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3094
F Naval nurse selection process Joining the Royal Navy 6
F Student Nurse Selection Board!! Anyone else have there dates?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
F Royal Navy Student Nurse selection board Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS UK teams complete space weather mission study ahead of selection decision in November MoD News 0
A Changing role after successful selection interview Joining the Royal Navy 16
J Weapons engineer advanced apprentice Scheme Selection 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
9 Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C September selection (BRNC) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
C Selection Interview for AET Joining the Royal Navy 15
S Officer selection for ratings after initial training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
A Accelerated Apprentice Selection Chances Joining the Royal Navy 2
LeedsBornLeedsBred My Royal Navy selection interview experience Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Ghost29 Rating selection interview help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Ghost29 Selection interview for ET(WE) Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Press release: UK starts selection process for next Poet Laureate MoD News 0
P Accelerated Apprenticeship selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
J Selection Date for AA Roles? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Entry and Selection dates Joining the Royal Navy 2
Stirlin Secret Agent Selection WW2 Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 4
RAM28 Will I be put forward for selection? Joining the Royal Navy 1
K MEO Selection Joining the Royal Navy 9
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
W Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
J Naval Nurse Adult (Student) Selection Board - a review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
B Selection interview help ET(ME) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Another set of questions on Selection Interview. Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
1 Aircraft controller selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Subbers Aircrewman Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
R Officer selection during training? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
W Selection interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Time line from selection interview to completing eyetest question. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
3 The actual 'selection' part? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
IlikeB33r ETME(SF) Selection Interview pointers Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
S AET Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
A Chances Of Selection Into BRNC for Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
muskovardo Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Selection interview! Help! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
muskovardo Selection interview - Planning and organising Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MrClements New Selection Interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MrClements New Selection Interview Diamond Lil's 3
H Before entering the officer selection process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
FreedomTea From picking up the phone to Britannia - A guide to Officer Selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
R Is the selection interview on the same day as the recruitment test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2