'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the RN!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Jenny_Dabber, Sep 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was talking to a friend of mine last night that I went from basic, trade course and my first ship with, cracking lass. She is still in the mob and has a cushdy draft (lucky cow). We were talking about all those sh*tty things that us lovely OMs got caught up with in a daily routine and how we reckon we were being seen off 50% pf the time :rambo:

Like cable partiy and how come it was always the same watch that got pinged for it, not matter if it was 12am or 5am, the same darn watch always managed to get dragged out of bed. But saying that, we did have a laugh. No big lights, just those tiny, ickle, small red tourch things we stuck on our fowly jackets and trying to work out where that voice was coming from and hoping your oppo don't drop the shackle on your hand!

Makes you kinda think you should have gone MA or SnS :dwarf:

So, to end this long winded drivel, what were your lovly times in the mob?

2. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Cable Party? Sounds like SSDs to me which IS always the same people - Durr!

3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

But it is funny how it always seems to be the same watch for everything - like it was always my Defence Watch that would be the 'off watch' when it came to the big NBCDX which always seemed to be needed to round off an Exercise......

4. Re: 'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the R

lol I was always 1st or 2nd of port on all 3 ships, I never saw Stbd doing cable party/ssd/defence watch on etc.....................kinda canny, you not think lol

5. Guess they must have thought you lot were so darn good at it they didn't want the others to come along and cock it up - I mean, you were so well practiced !

6. Re: 'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the R

Ditto! Always seemed to have the long morning before a Thursday war and not the long first!!

7. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Re: 'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the R

Pick your watch m8t! I always managed to dip in!! :D

8. Funny as a Wafu I didnt seem to get to involved in these activities.
    Perhaps scramble the Helo more than made up for it though, small ships flights don't have another watch.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Ditto.

2nd Port Always got "seen off".

My best "black cat" at being 'seen- off' was during the Falklands on Argonaut.

1st & 2nd Stb'd & 1st Port got evacuated to Fearless whilst 2nd Port remained on the flightdeck to haul on a series of ropes leading Fwd to the 1000lb UXB in the Seacat magazine. Sat atop the hoisted UXB was a loony Clearance Diver & his mates, making sure it didn't swing & hit anything on the way out.

The only other people between decks? Yup 2nd Port, reduced steaming watch, a PO Stoker & his 'erk' in the boiler room steaming the undamaged boiler with 2 Damage Control wedges on the deckplates for 'starting-blocks' in case the bomb went pop.

As the bomb was being lowered & reached the waterline a Scare Charge, dropped off a nearby ship, went bang & the PO Stoker, whilst being first off the blocks & first to the bottom of the ladder, still bears my scars as I clawed past & got to the top before him.

"It's not fair" he was heard to call from far behind.

10. Re: 'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the R

Now...........thinking WAFU is the way ahead lol

11. Re: 'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the R

What are these watch things? Unless you're timing one's mandatory 8 hours unbroken rest per day... :thumright:

12. Re: 'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the R

FARKING WAFUS :threaten:

13. You wouldn't have wanted S&S in my days JD - the mess was always under the cable deck or forward gun - definitely not nice when dabtoes were dropping the hook at 02dubs in some far away harbour, or having a night shoot !
    Strangely enough, when a RAS was needed you couldn't find the dabbers for some reason, except when the Canman wanted a beer RAS !!

:)

14. I was SnS and i have to say that when i got to SR and the ship went into defence watches i stayed day-working. I cannot tell you just how guilty i felt as i crawled into my scratcher at 10.30ish in the evening knowing that i would not get up until 7 in the morning! And my on-watch killick would wake me with a cup of rosey.....i trained him well!

15. Ninja_Stoker

Must've been awful for you, I'm surprised you could sleep. :thumright:

Never mind eh, a big welcome to RR.

Enjoy!

You swine, you

16. Lucky you !! But wouldn't that (tea in bed) be considered bullying these days ?

My action station was in the Gunbay, along with (if my memory isn't too shot away ;) ) 4 other Supply guys and one dabber Gunbay Captain (loved their titles in those days did the dabtoes!!).
    It was thanks to him that the end of my thumb was nearly lopped off when he decided to operate the footswitch on the shell hoist which was my action station.
    And, they were duly missing when we, supposedly, had to collect all the empty cartridge cases after a shoot - a 'few' slipped out of our hands when trying to collect them for restoring in the mag room.
    There were also supply staff in the shellroom, magazine and working on the seacat - probably due to the reduced manning standard they operated in those days.

Happy Days :)

17. Was Blue card holder at Collingrad,every weekend off plus make and mend every wednesday.

Of course, life was a lot harder in the 70's.

18. Ninja_Stoker

The irony of this thread is that everyone seems to be posting what cushy jobs they used to have.

It's interesting that "current servers" probably haven't got the time to drip nowadays.

19. Too bloody right, join the navy, become an OM, never have a moments rest at sea, along side, de-rusting, painting, cleaning, running about after the buffer, BM, really am thinking that WAFU was the way ahead now lol

20. Cushy ? sometimes, but then there was a lot more seatime then. It seems that every government since has cut back on seatime to save fuel - or is that because of 'climate change' .. ;)

Maybe "current servers" are too busy on their ipods or begging for slices of pizza on youtube :| ;) :p

Mind you, when alongside, I didn't see many helping to store ship with the Dusties.... !!

JD, I did my share of chipping and scraping etc when sea training and occasionally under pun - not a nice experience I'll grant you that !
    Mind you, if you thought that was yukky - wait until Lil' JD comes along.... :thumright: !!

:)