Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the RN!

D

Deleted 7

I was talking to a friend of mine last night that I went from basic, trade course and my first ship with, cracking lass. She is still in the mob and has a cushdy draft (lucky cow). We were talking about all those sh*tty things that us lovely OMs got caught up with in a daily routine and how we reckon we were being seen off 50% pf the time :rambo:

Like cable partiy and how come it was always the same watch that got pinged for it, not matter if it was 12am or 5am, the same darn watch always managed to get dragged out of bed. But saying that, we did have a laugh. No big lights, just those tiny, ickle, small red tourch things we stuck on our fowly jackets and trying to work out where that voice was coming from and hoping your oppo don't drop the shackle on your hand!

Makes you kinda think you should have gone MA or SnS :dwarf:

So, to end this long winded drivel, what were your lovly times in the mob?

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
But it is funny how it always seems to be the same watch for everything - like it was always my Defence Watch that would be the 'off watch' when it came to the big NBCDX which always seemed to be needed to round off an Exercise......

D

Deleted 7

Re: 'Seen off' - the joys of being taken for a ride in the R

lol I was always 1st or 2nd of port on all 3 ships, I never saw Stbd doing cable party/ssd/defence watch on etc.....................kinda canny, you not think lol

Guess they must have thought you lot were so darn good at it they didn't want the others to come along and cock it up - I mean, you were so well practiced !

Chaz

MIA

silverfox said:
But it is funny how it always seems to be the same watch for everything - like it was always my Defence Watch that would be the 'off watch' when it came to the big NBCDX which always seemed to be needed to round off an Exercise......

Ditto! Always seemed to have the long morning before a Thursday war and not the long first!!

the_matelot

War Hero

Chaz said:
silverfox said:

Ditto! Always seemed to have the long morning before a Thursday war and not the long first!!

Pick your watch m8t! I always managed to dip in!! :D

slim

War Hero
Funny as a Wafu I didnt seem to get to involved in these activities.
Perhaps scramble the Helo more than made up for it though, small ships flights don't have another watch.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Jenny_Dabber said:
lol I was always 1st or 2nd of port

Ditto.

2nd Port Always got "seen off".

My best "black cat" at being 'seen- off' was during the Falklands on Argonaut.

1st & 2nd Stb'd & 1st Port got evacuated to Fearless whilst 2nd Port remained on the flightdeck to haul on a series of ropes leading Fwd to the 1000lb UXB in the Seacat magazine. Sat atop the hoisted UXB was a loony Clearance Diver & his mates, making sure it didn't swing & hit anything on the way out.

The only other people between decks? Yup 2nd Port, reduced steaming watch, a PO Stoker & his 'erk' in the boiler room steaming the undamaged boiler with 2 Damage Control wedges on the deckplates for 'starting-blocks' in case the bomb went pop.

As the bomb was being lowered & reached the waterline a Scare Charge, dropped off a nearby ship, went bang & the PO Stoker, whilst being first off the blocks & first to the bottom of the ladder, still bears my scars as I clawed past & got to the top before him.

"It's not fair" he was heard to call from far behind.

D

Deleted 7

Now...........thinking WAFU is the way ahead lol

Letsbeavenue

Badgeman

What are these watch things? Unless you're timing one's mandatory 8 hours unbroken rest per day... :thumright:

D

Deleted 7

Letsbeavenue said:
What are these watch things? Unless you're timing one's mandatory 8 hours unbroken rest per day... :thumright:

FARKING WAFUS :threaten:

Jenny_Dabber said:
................or SnS ...............:dwarf:

So, to end this long winded drivel, what were your lovly times in the mob?

You wouldn't have wanted S&S in my days JD - the mess was always under the cable deck or forward gun - definitely not nice when dabtoes were dropping the hook at 02dubs in some far away harbour, or having a night shoot !
Strangely enough, when a RAS was needed you couldn't find the dabbers for some reason, except when the Canman wanted a beer RAS !!

:)

gcwenn

I was SnS and i have to say that when i got to SR and the ship went into defence watches i stayed day-working. I cannot tell you just how guilty i felt as i crawled into my scratcher at 10.30ish in the evening knowing that i would not get up until 7 in the morning! And my on-watch killick would wake me with a cup of rosey.....i trained him well!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

Must've been awful for you, I'm surprised you could sleep. :thumright:

Never mind eh, a big welcome to RR.

Enjoy!

You swine, you

gcwenn said:
I was SnS and i have to say that when i got to SR and the ship went into defence watches i stayed day-working. I cannot tell you just how guilty i felt as i crawled into my scratcher at 10.30ish in the evening knowing that i would not get up until 7 in the morning! And my on-watch killick would wake me with a cup of rosey.....i trained him well!

Lucky you !! But wouldn't that (tea in bed) be considered bullying these days ?

My action station was in the Gunbay, along with (if my memory isn't too shot away ;) ) 4 other Supply guys and one dabber Gunbay Captain (loved their titles in those days did the dabtoes!!).
It was thanks to him that the end of my thumb was nearly lopped off when he decided to operate the footswitch on the shell hoist which was my action station.
And, they were duly missing when we, supposedly, had to collect all the empty cartridge cases after a shoot - a 'few' slipped out of our hands when trying to collect them for restoring in the mag room.
There were also supply staff in the shellroom, magazine and working on the seacat - probably due to the reduced manning standard they operated in those days.

Happy Days :)

Was Blue card holder at Collingrad,every weekend off plus make and mend every wednesday.

Of course, life was a lot harder in the 70's.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The irony of this thread is that everyone seems to be posting what cushy jobs they used to have.

It's interesting that "current servers" probably haven't got the time to drip nowadays.

D

Deleted 7

Ninja_Stoker said:
The irony of this thread is that everyone seems to be posting what cushy jobs they used to have.

It's interesting that "current servers" probably haven't got the time to drip nowadays.

Too bloody right, join the navy, become an OM, never have a moments rest at sea, along side, de-rusting, painting, cleaning, running about after the buffer, BM, really am thinking that WAFU was the way ahead now lol

Ninja_Stoker said:

Cushy ? sometimes, but then there was a lot more seatime then. It seems that every government since has cut back on seatime to save fuel - or is that because of 'climate change' .. ;)

Maybe "current servers" are too busy on their ipods or begging for slices of pizza on youtube :| ;) :p

Mind you, when alongside, I didn't see many helping to store ship with the Dusties.... !!

JD, I did my share of chipping and scraping etc when sea training and occasionally under pun - not a nice experience I'll grant you that !
Mind you, if you thought that was yukky - wait until Lil' JD comes along.... :thumright: !!

:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Lift-off for Shetland spaceport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to resume compulsory strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nation's job hunt JETS off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Landmark event for the space industry lifts off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Take-off for UK-built supercomputer nanosatellites MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK leads thousands of NATO troops in major exercise off Scottish coast MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prepare for lift-off: Jet Zero Council to deliver carbon-free flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK kicks off Climate Week NYC with a series of ambitious climate commitments MoD News 0
R I need help sorting my late fathers 6 off 1939-45 medals & 2 off Mention in Dispatches Certificates. History 14
MoD_RSS UK-built nanosatellites ready for take off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House resumes voluntary strike off process MoD News 0
U Quick question about paying off foreign RFA 2
MoD_RSS Pond project pays off for great crested newts in Essex MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to resume the compulsory strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Audlem Road, Stapeley, Nantwich and land off Peter De Stapeleigh Way, Nantwich (refs: 2197532/2197529 - 15 July 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House to restart the voluntary strike off process MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA secures loan write-off from payday lender MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The danger of unsecured loads – Highways England reminds drivers to check before setting off this summer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £105 million to keep rough sleepers safe and off the streets during coronavirus pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Qatari Typhoons take off as joint squadron MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Third Future Accommodation Model (FAM) pilot takes off in RAF Wittering MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home work pays off for LLWR MoD News 0
B How soon will the commonwealth hold be taken off please? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Furlough scheme cut-off date extended to 19 March MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Team spirit pays off for Distington residents MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS to benefit from £13.4 billion debt write-off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Station Road, Long Melford, Suffolk (ref: 3214377 - 1 April 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First new ventilators to roll off production line this weekend as industry answers call to step up manufacturing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Off-payroll working rules reforms postponed until 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coarse fishing on rivers is off limits for three months MoD News 0
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Market exploration: roll on roll off and containerised freight screening MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to help businesses with off-payroll working rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s first industrial contribution to International Space Station ready for take off MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC announces change to the off-payroll working rules MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Tech Rocketship Awards take off in Taiwan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Muc-Off pays beach clean charity after failing to recycle packaging MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How the UK is helping connect off-grid communities across Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Off-payroll review launched MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 200 people to spend Christmas off the streets and in their own homes thanks to innovative government programme Housing First MoD News 0
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Fishing vessel sinks off Isle of Man MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land off Darnhall, School Lane, Winsford, Cheshire (ref: 2212671 - 4 November 2019) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Couple and their dog safe after being washed off breakwater at Mullion Cove, Cornwall MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Platform Evacuation off Shetland MoD News 0
A How to turn off swear censorship? Site Issues 2
MoD_RSS Aerospace investment to take-off following US Trade Mission MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Man overboard rescued off Dover 'was wearing lifejacket with good strobe light' MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prime Minister launches new Growth Deals funding as he kicks off Union visits in Scotland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World first as kits designed to extract metals from the Moon and Mars blast off for space station tests MoD News 0