Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeing as there is no Wardroom Forum.... (Amend 1)

scouse

War Hero
smoothbore said:
Guns said:
There are more Middies coming through. With the cost of Uni it is becoming more common for people to join up, why bother with a degree. The whole degree thing is becoming less important as you get past 25-30 yrs, it boils down to life/work experience. Also Middies can work towards a OU Degree by doing basic training and then some bits and pieces. They are weighing up 3 years and £15,000 debt or be a Middy and fly helos Don't knock it, it was my sales pitch when I was a recruiter. Also people joining at around 19/20 after getting bored of work or having dropped out of Uni.

I was most shocked when I saw two YOs in ALBION who were Middies, I was taken aback I tell you.

Misty eyed at the thought of my time as a Snotty. I never got in trouble or anything, honest.

I've obviously missed something because I always thought that it was possible for a Midshipman to be Commissioned. If you joined at 18 on the SL & didn't do Uni then you served 2 years as a Mid & 3 as a S/Lt before getting the second stripe. As an SL Mid you used to do just 3 terms at BRNC before passing out for Fleet Time, Fleet Board & OOW course. Therefore perfectly possible to be a Midshipman and Commissioned. Its just that in recent years many more people joined up after Uni as S/Lts so fewer Middies around.

I do remember a famous photograph from the late 1970s, I think, of a SK Mk2 at Culdrose being crewed completely by Midshipman, including the Captain of the Aircraft.
A Buccaneer on our Sqdn was manned by a Snotty Pilot / observer Acting S/LT Bloody heros in my eyes :thumright: Thompson was one of them :thumright: Ill get you a wet in any where :thanks:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: Seeing through clouds, snow, rain and fog... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: seeing through the clouds MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Toilets that need a good seeing to. Diamond Lil's 14
Val the Gal Men Who Need a Good Seeing To Diamond Lil's 9
Rumrat Seeing as its Valentines day Diamond Lil's 20
J Women who need a good seeing to (deviant thread) Diamond Lil's 43
BillyNoMates Women that need a good seeing to (if you had a time machine). Diamond Lil's 63
Blackrat Women that DON'T Need a Good Seeing To. Diamond Lil's 493
F seeing the RNR doctor Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
rod-gearing Seeing the Light Motoring 11
marvin Shouldn't we be seeing an uplift in RNR training? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
P Description of the Wardroom Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
P NELSON Wardroom to be sold off Current Affairs 45
O Drake Wardroom Bases / Shore Est 15
Guns Wardroom toasts of the day The Quarterdeck 58
D Jolly Roger in the Wardroom/Mess Submariners 1
T Is the Wardroom endangered by Swine Flu? The Gash Barge 1
Scran_Bag A Wardroom secret discovered after 66 years ? Diamond Lil's 10
S Wardroom on tour.......NOT Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 72
S Nelson Wardroom The Fleet 44
J What is the point of the Wardroom in the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 111
MoD_RSS UK-Bangladesh Climate Partnership Forum launches virtual series MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Kenya Economic Development Forum: New UK funding for prosperity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and US reaffirm relationship at Atlantic Future Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Ahmad addresses at the Virtual Climate Vulnerable Forum Leaders’ Event, Chaired by Her Excellency Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw announces UK-Poland Green Recovery Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA to host innovation investment networking forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) forum launches this month MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Amb Pruce's Speech at the Forum on Youths’ SOGIE & Mental Health
 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA Supplier Forum, 3 July MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Seminar with the Forum of Indian Regulators (FOIR) on Better Regulation (20th May) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Caroline Dinenage's keynote speech for the Founders Forum - Healthtech stage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Biometrics Commissioner’s address to the Westminster Forum: 5 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President closing remarks at Placencia Ambition Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President speech at opening of Placencia Ambition Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office brings together Police and Crime Commissioners at Tackling Crime Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK welcomes journalists from across the Middle East for second UK-Arab Commentators Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities Secretary visits Jerusalem for fifth World Holocaust Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Ahmad sets out UK commitment to Declaration of the Stockholm International Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement at the Global Refugee Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Reed's address at the Judicial Forum in Bosnia and Herzegovina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turkmen delegation to attend Creative Central Asia Forum in Tashkent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guatemala holds its own Business and Human Rights Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Communique on the UK-Tunisia bilateral forum MoD News 0
slim Was Rum Ration a Better forum in the Olden Days Diamond Lil's 14
MoD_RSS Secretary of State speech at the Ambrosetti Forum: Intelligence on the World, Europe, and Italy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second Polish-British Science Forum to take place in London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK pavilion at the Economic Forum in Krynica MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO Minister Wheeler visit to Fiji and the Pacific Island Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regional forum for Senior Responsible Officers established in the Midlands region MoD News 0