Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seeing as there is no Wardroom Forum.... (Amend 1)

blue_sophist

Lantern Swinger
McHammock said:
blue_sophist said:
RP1986 said:
Guns said:
A sort of putting the world to rights dit session gen buzz that the Middle Watch on the Bridge is all about. OOW, QM, BM and Yeoman all chatting about general stuff.
Most of the OOW's during the middle watch's i did were there because they were under W/R puns for upsetting the Jimmy or Navs, and if not asleep in the CO's chair they were dripping about how hard a life it was as a two ringer. :evil4:
Up and away, it's the only way.
Being a Lt should be a transitional period in life .... ^_^;

Being a passed over two ringer was my ambition in life, then some stupid bu**er (sorry sir!) went & gave me another half stripe. Do these people not realise striping up Nos 1's & mess kit is at least the cost of a case of cooking port!!!!

... but think of the pension, dear fellow. You know it makes sense.

And anyway, the re-striped Mess kit should do you for another 20 years if you don't get fat ;-)

RP1986

GCM
I know i've posted this before, but as were talking about the W/R i really had to post it again. :boogie:

A warfare officer in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 50 and 51 degrees north latitude and between 4 and 5 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an RP," said the warfare officer. "I am," replied the RP, "How did you know?"

"Well," answered the warfare officer, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information and the fact is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip."

The RP below responded, "You must be an Warfare Officer?

"I am," replied the warfare officer, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the RP, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault.

Re: Seeing as their is no Wardroom Forum....

thingy said:
rosinacarley said:
Isn't fora plural of forum as stadia are the plural of stadiums?

Fora is indeed plural of forum but stadia is the plural of stadium just as agenda is the plural of agendum and addenda is the plural of addendum. However we must be careful as two old women called Sara would be called Sara in the singular and not Old Sarum! ;)

Pundenda - pundendum?

pastrdp

Lantern Swinger
RP1986 said:
I know i've posted this before, but as were talking about the W/R i really had to post it again. :boogie:

A warfare officer in a hot air balloon realised he was lost. He reduced altitude and spotted a man below. He descended a bit more and shouted, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man below replied, "You're in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 30 feet above the ground. You're between 50 and 51 degrees north latitude and between 4 and 5 degrees west longitude."

"You must be an RP," said the warfare officer. "I am," replied the RP, "How did you know?"

Guns - you may have a point after all, at least we could retire to a safe distance where the DWs can't pick on us

"Well," answered the warfare officer, "everything you told me is technically correct, but I've no idea what to make of your information and the fact is I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help at all. If anything, you've delayed my trip."

The RP below responded, "You must be an Warfare Officer?

"I am," replied the warfare officer, "but how did you know?"

"Well," said the RP, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You have risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise, which you've no idea how to keep, and you expect people beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now, somehow, it's my fault.

pastrdp

Lantern Swinger
Damn - don't know what happened there, guess that's what happens when you don't have an RO to type your signals, should have read - Guns you may have a point, at least we could then retire to a safe distance where the DWs couldn't pick on us.

blue_sophist

Lantern Swinger
This is rapidly turning into a case for a Wardroom Thread :)

My pudenda are unmoved by the activities in this forum, or other forae ... g'night :)

rosinacarley said:
Her bum does look big in that Lamri!

She should eat less donuts I think.

And her back is a really strange shape ..., but as you Italians know, perspective is a strange and wonderful thing :)

pastrdp

Lantern Swinger
Niner_Domestic said:
Worryingly I am now disagreeing with my own idea. There is hope for me as a Flag Officer

I'm sure there's always room for another quarter inch admiral![/quote]

Bu99er me - I'm feeling thicker than ever, what is a 1/4" Admiral

pastrdp

Lantern Swinger
Guns said:
I see Midshipman are now considered Commissioned Officers according to the latest DIN and will get their parchment.
My favourite Midshipman moment was in the Caribbean - involved Rum, White Tropical Uniforms, some US ladies off a cruise liner who were much older than me and .... well a gentleman never tells (unless on a dit session).

Also, without doing the ARRSE is better thing, they do have forums for Officers, Seniors and Juniors. Could we consider that for Rum Ration. Wardroom, Senior Rates and Junior Rates. Allow people to post topics that are pan RN/RM but more rate/rank specific.

Everyone is welcome to read/post in each but it does allow threads to be more targeted.

Just a thought, what do people think.

Me

Guns you started this, do we still have snotties, most grads seem to join as in zone 2 1/2s the only subbies at Dratmouth are SUYs

Guns

War Hero
There are more Middies coming through. With the cost of Uni it is becoming more common for people to join up, why bother with a degree. The whole degree thing is becoming less important as you get past 25-30 yrs, it boils down to life/work experience. Also Middies can work towards a OU Degree by doing basic training and then some bits and pieces. They are weighing up 3 years and £15,000 debt or be a Middy and fly helos Don't knock it, it was my sales pitch when I was a recruiter. Also people joining at around 19/20 after getting bored of work or having dropped out of Uni.

I was most shocked when I saw two YOs in ALBION who were Middies, I was taken aback I tell you.

Misty eyed at the thought of my time as a Snotty. I never got in trouble or anything, honest.

pastrdp said:
Niner_Domestic said:
Guns said:
Worryingly I am now disagreeing with my own idea. There is hope for me as a Flag Officer

I'm sure there's always room for another quarter inch admiral!

Bu99er me - I'm feeling thicker than ever, what is a 1/4" Admiral?

Please Sir, please Sir, I know.

Words or terminology used in the Canadian Navy

Quarter-inch admiral - A less-than-complimentary term for an officer cadet; the term comes from the rank insignia of an Officer Cadet, which is a narrow 1/4 inch stripe.

ctfairway said:
Nutty said:
ctfairway said:
A Wardroom forum would undermine one of the great strengths of RR in

Nutty

Yes Nutty you are right - "quality" was the wrong word - I certainly dont want to suggest that RR should take itself too seriously - the more off the wall and outrageous the post the better!

PS Do you break wind with a "ph" or an "f"???!!!!
CTF

:threaten: :threaten: :toilet: :tp:

CTF

I am so slack I fart with a " Haa" as in Haaonda

Nutty

slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
To be honest there has been nothing I have seen on this site that would have been better placed in a wardroom, chiefs mess, POs mess etc, though there are a few subcribers who might be better confined to a paint locker, but that is really a different problem.

Maxi
When you've finished rounds would you please release me from this paint locker :whew:

To be honest Slim I wasn't exactly thinking of you with the paint locker but if you feel the cap fits then who am I to disagree.

scouse

War Hero
Slim woudnt be able to get in the paint locker :thumright: :angel12: unless hes shed a few pounds/ from your old oppo heh!! heh!! o_O

HarryBosch said:
rosinacarley said:
Her bum does look big in that Lamri!

She should eat less donuts I think.

And her back is a really strange shape ..., but as you Italians know, perspective is a strange and wonderful thing :)

Excuse me Royal, I am not entirely certainly what you are getting at. But if you would like to report to la casa del mio padre he will give you some pasta.

RP1986

GCM
scouse said:
thats a brill article RP1986/ and you can write backwards as well :thumright: :angel12:
i'm a bit out of practice but give me some time and i'm sure i could get back into it :whew:

pastrdp said:
Guns said:
I see Midshipman are now considered Commissioned Officers according to the latest DIN and will get their parchment.
My favourite Midshipman moment was in the Caribbean - involved Rum, White Tropical Uniforms, some US ladies off a cruise liner who were much older than me and .... well a gentleman never tells (unless on a dit session).

Also, without doing the ARRSE is better thing, they do have forums for Officers, Seniors and Juniors. Could we consider that for Rum Ration. Wardroom, Senior Rates and Junior Rates. Allow people to post topics that are pan RN/RM but more rate/rank specific.

Everyone is welcome to read/post in each but it does allow threads to be more targeted.

Just a thought, what do people think.

Me

Guns you started this, do we still have snotties, most grads seem to join as in zone 2 1/2s the only subbies at Dratmouth are SUYs
They put an end to it when they sewed buttons on to their lower sleeves preventing the wiping of noses thereon. Chiefs have long suffered .

smoothbore

Lantern Swinger
Guns said:
There are more Middies coming through. With the cost of Uni it is becoming more common for people to join up, why bother with a degree. The whole degree thing is becoming less important as you get past 25-30 yrs, it boils down to life/work experience. Also Middies can work towards a OU Degree by doing basic training and then some bits and pieces. They are weighing up 3 years and £15,000 debt or be a Middy and fly helos Don't knock it, it was my sales pitch when I was a recruiter. Also people joining at around 19/20 after getting bored of work or having dropped out of Uni.

I was most shocked when I saw two YOs in ALBION who were Middies, I was taken aback I tell you.

Misty eyed at the thought of my time as a Snotty. I never got in trouble or anything, honest.

I've obviously missed something because I always thought that it was possible for a Midshipman to be Commissioned. If you joined at 18 on the SL & didn't do Uni then you served 2 years as a Mid & 3 as a S/Lt before getting the second stripe. As an SL Mid you used to do just 3 terms at BRNC before passing out for Fleet Time, Fleet Board & OOW course. Therefore perfectly possible to be a Midshipman and Commissioned. Its just that in recent years many more people joined up after Uni as S/Lts so fewer Middies around.

I do remember a famous photograph from the late 1970s, I think, of a SK Mk2 at Culdrose being crewed completely by Midshipman, including the Captain of the Aircraft.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Press release: Seeing through clouds, snow, rain and fog... MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: CDE themed competition webinar: seeing through the clouds MoD News 0
BillyNoMates Toilets that need a good seeing to. Diamond Lil's 14
Val the Gal Men Who Need a Good Seeing To Diamond Lil's 9
Rumrat Seeing as its Valentines day Diamond Lil's 20
J Women who need a good seeing to (deviant thread) Diamond Lil's 43
BillyNoMates Women that need a good seeing to (if you had a time machine). Diamond Lil's 63
Blackrat Women that DON'T Need a Good Seeing To. Diamond Lil's 493
F seeing the RNR doctor Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 4
rod-gearing Seeing the Light Motoring 11
marvin Shouldn't we be seeing an uplift in RNR training? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
P Description of the Wardroom Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
P NELSON Wardroom to be sold off Current Affairs 45
O Drake Wardroom Bases / Shore Est 15
Guns Wardroom toasts of the day The Quarterdeck 58
D Jolly Roger in the Wardroom/Mess Submariners 1
T Is the Wardroom endangered by Swine Flu? The Gash Barge 1
Scran_Bag A Wardroom secret discovered after 66 years ? Diamond Lil's 10
S Wardroom on tour.......NOT Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 72
S Nelson Wardroom The Fleet 44
J What is the point of the Wardroom in the RNR? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 111
MoD_RSS UK joint statement on progress made by the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Bangladesh Climate Partnership Forum launches virtual series MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK-Kenya Economic Development Forum: New UK funding for prosperity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and US reaffirm relationship at Atlantic Future Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Ahmad addresses at the Virtual Climate Vulnerable Forum Leaders’ Event, Chaired by Her Excellency Sheikh Hasina, Prime Minister of Bangladesh MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Embassy Warsaw announces UK-Poland Green Recovery Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS DASA to host innovation investment networking forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) forum launches this month MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Amb Pruce's Speech at the Forum on Youths’ SOGIE & Mental Health
 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKAEA Supplier Forum, 3 July MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Seminar with the Forum of Indian Regulators (FOIR) on Better Regulation (20th May) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Caroline Dinenage's keynote speech for the Founders Forum - Healthtech stage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Biometrics Commissioner’s address to the Westminster Forum: 5 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President closing remarks at Placencia Ambition Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COP26 President speech at opening of Placencia Ambition Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office brings together Police and Crime Commissioners at Tackling Crime Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK welcomes journalists from across the Middle East for second UK-Arab Commentators Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Communities Secretary visits Jerusalem for fifth World Holocaust Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Ahmad sets out UK commitment to Declaration of the Stockholm International Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement at the Global Refugee Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Reed's address at the Judicial Forum in Bosnia and Herzegovina MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Turkmen delegation to attend Creative Central Asia Forum in Tashkent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guatemala holds its own Business and Human Rights Forum MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Communique on the UK-Tunisia bilateral forum MoD News 0
slim Was Rum Ration a Better forum in the Olden Days Diamond Lil's 14
MoD_RSS Secretary of State speech at the Ambrosetti Forum: Intelligence on the World, Europe, and Italy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second Polish-British Science Forum to take place in London MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK pavilion at the Economic Forum in Krynica MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO Minister Wheeler visit to Fiji and the Pacific Island Forum MoD News 0