see me if you wish to apply for this funding

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by golden_rivet, May 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This PhD studentship will examine the role of public bystanders-as-witnesses to events through their use of personal 'mobile media' (chiefly, mobile phone cameras and video) in shaping breaking and commemorative news narratives. The particular focus will be on the insertion of 'public witnesses' into television news frames and 'traumatic spaces' (Zelizer, 2002) in mediating and mitigating catastrophic media events in contradistinction to the performance of this function
    by journalists and other news workers. This research will contribute to an understanding of the nature and extent of the development of so-called 'citizen journalism' (Gillmor, 2004) in relation to claims that news agendas and narratives have become 'democratised' through the increased availability of highly portable audio/visual recording equipment to members of the general public.

The research student will be expected to have a background in discourse analysis and media studies. He/she should also possess interest in the fields of conflict and commemoration. Over the three-year period of the research grant, the research student will be working as part of a research
    team on the project outlined below and will be expected to contribute fully to activities organised within its remit.

and so on ...
  2. Hmmmmmmm - no takers ??? :bball:
  3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I'd love to GR but I'm researching the Development of Children and Young Adults this year, keeps me off the streets :thanks:
  4. DITTO

To busy weeding the allotment!!
  5. Who is funding it? Imperial War Museum? ESRC? Would be a fun PhD to do and I suspect there will be fairly high number of applicants for it. A great one to apply for, especially if you're a bootie or other just back from Aghanistan. More so if they are part of any of the combat ops recorded and disseminated through their own cameras, videos, phones, etc.
  6. Applications should be made using the AHRC application forms for Doctoral Research (available from:
    and submitted to Dr Nuria Lorenzo-Dus, Applied Linguistics, School of Arts, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea, SA2 8PP, tel. no.: + 1792 602540, [email protected]. Applicants should arrange to supply two references (on the AHRC forms) and information from their previous university about their grades and results for any prior degrees. The closing date is Friday 8 June 2007 at 4pm.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
  7. Would love to but not got no university degree.

know how to use a mobile phone though.

8. Is a correspondence course available? I need to keep near my sources of quill pen feathers and ink (turkeys and lamp black respectively).