Security Questionnaire (rather complex problem)

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by RNRC, Jul 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys, I'll try and keep this as brief as possible.

I am going through the application process with the RN at the moment - have done the RT (which went well), fitness test is on Tuesday, I passed the medical etc etc. I did some research on the Security Questionnaire since I want to iron out any problems before I am asked to fill it in.

I discovered that certain abberations in a credit check are a bar to entry, and decided to get my credit report from Experian before proceeding. Low and behold, there is a CCJ on my record.

To cut a long story short, the original judgement for this was illegal in just about every way (I was not served with court papers so didn't even know about the hearing, and the claimant deliberately withheld information from the county court).

Basically, I am now setting the wheels in motion to get the CCJ overturned and off my record. The forms for the county court to reconsider the decision have been submitted and I've gathered all the evidence necessary to present to the judge. I have spoken to the court advisers and apparently the whole process should take about 5 weeks.

My question is - what should I write in the Security Questionnaire about CCJs etc? If I have to fill it in before this saga is over, should I say that I am in the process of getting the original judgement overturned? If I have to fill it in after the judgement has been overturned, should I explain that this has happened and supply some evidence from the courts?

And finally, when the original CCJ is overturned (it will be!), will this effect my eligibility for entry?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ninja will be along shortly 8)
    However it would be best to be completely honest and inform the RN of ALL the facts. You may have to expand on a seperate piece of paper.
    I cannot understand how you were not informed of the hearing as when I have taken out claims in the small claims court the person I have been sueing has always had the papers sent to him by the court.

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Well, if you didn't know about it why should you declare it?

OK, you've done the credit check yourself and found out you have a CCJ against your name, this suggests to me that you may well have had an inkling that you may have had a black mark against yourself.

A CCJ is basically a way of getting a court to recognise someone has a debt against the person or company seeking to get the CCJ issued. That was explained in real dumbfcuk terms but you get my drift. The main reason people seek a CCJ isn't to be a twat to you or cock you about because you owe them money but it's because they can write the debt off against tax. Hence they never let you know.

I'm sure a grown up will be along shortly to give you the official version but at the end of the day without you making the checks can you honestly say you had no idea you might have a CCJ against your name?

4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

In County Court proceedings they do not have to prove service of the papers, just send them to the last known address.

I had a problem with Wessex Water some years ago who went to court saying that I had not paid my water rates, I had in fact moved house, and told them so when giving them the details of my new address. Luckily I had some good advice from one of the County Court staff (who informed me that they, Wessex Water, had put through over 1500 summons that day. I eventually got through to Wessex Waters legal department, after threatening to name the receptionist on my claim against them when she refused to put me through. Upshot was that by the end of the week I had a full letter of apology stating that it was there mistake and a small amount of compensation for my inconvenience.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking, if you have carried out a credit check on yourself it's recorded, so it would be rather difficult to deny you know about the CCJ.

Whilst there are a plethora of reasons for having an unresolved CCJ, in the majority of cases the individual knows they owe money if it's a loan, credit card, overdraft or hire purchase agreement and unless they moved address, the creditor will usually request the debt is paid several times before embarking on legal process. If the sum is in dispute, then it can be contested.

Once the CCJ is resolved to the satisfaction of the creditor & the credit record updated, there should not be a problem with security clearance unless the individual knew about the debt & chose to ignore it until it became an issue for an unrelated reason.

6. Well one at a time.

I am a recent graduate and am paying off a fairly sizeable student overdraft as a result. I did a credit check because I wanted to see how this was described in my record (my bank have stated my history with them is 'healthy', whatever that means, so it turns out this wasn't a problem).

The CCJ was issued by a previous landlord. I cannot speculate as to why I wasn't served with notice, I can only presume the papers went to the wrong address. It is as somebody has said not a legal requirement that a person is served with notification providing the claimant issued the notice "in good faith" that it was going to the right address.

I have no intention of keeping this information from the Royal Navy and I have already emailed my CA with a full update on this including the court action currently being undertaken.

I don't want to get too deep into the reasons for the CCJ, but it was wrongly issued (I have taken legal advice to support this analysis) and I am certain the courts will overturn it.

I am just trying to deduce what precisely to say in the Security Questionnaire, especially when the decision has been struck off my credit record. Do I explain that there was a CCJ on there but that it has now been struck off by the county court?

TIA

7. Basically do you owe this money or is someone trying it on?
    If it is a legitimate unpaid debt then pay it, if not then you should contest it.

8. I am reluctant to say that the Landlord has 'tried it on'. It is a large national company and my suspicion is the legal department (which is based at a central office in Hull) was not aware of the finer details of what was discussed with the local office (in Manchester).

It is not a legitimate debt, and I do not owe the money. It has arisen either out of error or negligence on the part of the Landlord.

9. You say you've emailed your CA with the full details of this CCJ and the actions around it. Best bet would be to ask them exactly how to write it in the Security Questionnaire. You won't be the first person to come along with issues so they will be able to give the correct advice specific to your individual case.

But as a general advice, be open and honest and if in doubt write it down.

10. I have not had a reply yet. I am supposed to telephone the CA after the PJTF on Tuesday to arrange an interview, at which I believe I am required to fill out the Security Questionnaire.

My concern was that I may not have had an answer to my email prior to making this telephone call on Tuesday, and was hoping to get some clarification from the expertise of this forum.

I will find out either way by Tuesday at the latest, but I was hoping to perhaps secure an answer before then.