security clearence

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rodeo, Feb 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys does anybody know when they start checking you for clearence?is it when you finish your application or any time after that?

2. Does it really matter? It's not going to change anything.

3. :roll:

I'm beginning to see why some of you more established users get sick of silly questions :p

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally speaking we will not submit the Security Questionnaire to the Defence Vetting Agency until we have a viable candidate - ie someone that has passed the Recruiting Test, Medical Examination, PJFT & Selection Interview - together with favourable references.

Those with a shady criminal or financial past are probably best declaring it upfront to save time, money, pointless effort, angst & an uncertain career prospect.

5. What exactly do they ask the references?

Im a fresh out of uni, never had a job, im putting my old lecturer who knew me well, and my mate who lives next door to me as references. To be honest ive not much of a great choice.

Both will give good references but only on a academic, non-working relationship basis.

Am i going to have a problem?

6. Ninja_Stoker

I doubt there will be a problem with an educational reference as they tend to be the most honest. Many employers seem to lose their bottle when it comes to writing a reference as they fear being sued - madness really- all we want is the truth.

The reason for the references is to confirm, from a position of relative public standing, the claimed moral integrity & reliability of the applicant. Those who cannot provide details of a person willing to vouch for them, spins us back to the precise reason we ask for them in the first place.

7. I didn't actually give any employer references, just two people who know me and can vouch for my integrity, reliability, etc. They're not relations and have known me far longer than the alternatives. Will that prove a problem? I could change one but it would have been a bit of a palaver and a delay to my application to locate my last employer due to the business suffering major upheaval and being split all over the place.

8. Ninja_Stoker

It's up to the individual, you either get the information or wait & risk it that the referees already named will suffice.

Generally you are advised to think ahead rather than be reactive.

9. It is not a unique situation you know. One that the CA's and people at DVA meet daily I would imagine. Don't make hurdles for yourselves.

Best thing with vetting is be honest, hide nothing. They WILL find out!!

10. please dont shoot me down for asking this question, (i am in the process of filling in my Security clearance form) but who are my "nominees" a section near the back of the form, is that where i get my referees to fill in??

11. Ninja_Stoker

After you sign & date pages 14 & finally 18, you need go no further - that bit (page 19 onwards) is filled out by your sponsor- the Careers Adviser.

12. Thanks Ninja, knew I could count on you :wink: