Security clearance

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kal_Stu, Feb 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, sorry about all the questions at the moment..

I Am waiting for my security clearance forms to come in the post and I know one of the questions will be "have you ever had any criminal offences, cautions, reprimands or warnings." My problem is I can't honestly remember if I have had any warnings when I was younger. I am about 99.8 % sure that I haven't. The only thing I can think of is once when I was 13/14 and th police caught me and 2 friends in a building that was getting rebuilt. He talked to us but I can't remember if he said it was a warning or if he was just giving us a bollocking for being in the building. I remember nothing ever happened after he talked to us. I.e he never said we were getting charged and he never said anything to our parents. I don't know if that is a warning?

Is there anyway I can find out if it was a warning or what it was? And when I get my form to tick yes or no on what would I tick? I don't want to tick the wrong thing. I don't want to tick no and find out that I did have something and my application be binned but I don't want to tick yes and have the whole thing delayed for no reason.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks kal

2. You're alright mate, unless you were taken back to a police station and made to sign a warning then nothing would hvae happend. The police officer may have taken your details for future reference but these would not have gone onto the pnc. And if I am correct a formal warning stays on your record for 5 years, so it should not be there at all by now if at all. I doubt you will have any trouble.

Of course this is just my opinion. I work as a "civil servant" and have some experience with this sort of thing. If the offence took place pre-PACE then the copper probably just gave you a ticking off and forgot about it.

I would not want you to get you app rejected but at the end of the day you sign a disclaimer "To the best of you knowledge" so it could be easily forgotten.

SM or NS might have some advice about this.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sounds like it was an informal warning which need not be disclosed.

If the DVA think differently they will write direct & ask "Erm, have you forgotten to mention something?" (or words to that effect.)

For those yet to submit a security questionnaire, the advice is disclose everything apart from parking tickets & speeding fines (which did not result in a ban).

4. Also known as "Honesty is the best policy and far less painful in the long run" :)

5. I presume it is ok just to tick no then? In the case if anythin does turn up than just tell everythin that happened.

Thanks kal

6. Best of luck Kal, I hope it all goes well for you. By the way, your grammar and spelling etc is a heck of a lot better than it was when you first joined the sight (boom boom, couldnt resist) :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  7. Ha I like the end that was good :) thanks and good luck with your application

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

If you haven't submitted the form declare everything.

9. On a different note about security clearance. I've already got a CTC check through the MOD would that speed up the application process?

10. Ok thank you Ninja.