Security Clearance

Traminator

Lantern Swinger
Everything I've researched over the past couple of months points to them looking at honesty, reliability, integrity etc as incredibly important aspects.
It's not just about your past, it's also about what the applicant declares compared to what they find out about said applicant.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hmmn. Generally cautions are spent as soon as they are given. The issue is usually whether all offences/convictions are declared, whether spent or unspent.

Sometimes people try to be smart and not declare previous police cautions or convictions as they believe they don't have to if they're spent...they must declare them regardless and are given the opportunity to declare them if something pops up on the PNC check that hasn't been declared. If they still don't cough-up, it's a TTFO unfortunately as it's all down to integrity. Dishonesty is always a knock-back for logs branches.

Finance can be an issue - unresolved ccjs, unpaid defaulted debts, etc.

The only other issues are usually affiliations or associations with political extremes ...sounds unlikely but N.Ireland or UK extremist groups are still "popular" in some student groups.

Generally the person knocked back knows precisely why.

Thanks for your help. I did declare the police caution and haven't had any further problems with the police.

I never received a call from the vetting service, the first thing id received was an email saying my form had been cancelled last night and called they said would receive a letter just wondering what it could be.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks for your help. I did declare the police caution and haven't had any further problems with the police.

I never received a call from the vetting service, the first thing id received was an email saying my form had been cancelled last night and called they said would receive a letter just wondering what it could be.
Me too, I've not yet met an applicant who is completely oblivious to the possible reasons behind it. Maybe worth asking for a pnc print from the police or undertaking a credit check with experian - errors do happen.

With regard @guns1969's comments, whilst I've no knowledge of your individual circumstances, he's 100% correct with regard the general service attitude toward dishonesty, not that I have any grounds to doubt your integrity, nor pass judgement on the individual circumstances.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thinking about it further - DBS/NSV usually write or email the individual if something needs further clarification, if they get no response, they jib it. Maybe worth checking declared postal addresses or junk email just in case.

guns1969

Lantern Swinger
Me too, I've not yet met an applicant who is completely oblivious to the possible reasons behind it. Maybe worth asking for a pnc print from the police or undertaking a credit check with experian - errors do happen.

With regard @guns1969's comments, whilst I've no knowledge of your individual circumstances, he's 100% correct with regard the general service attitude toward dishonesty, not that I have any grounds to doubt your integrity, nor pass judgement on the individual circumstances.
I was not passing any judgement on the OP, just purely stating, as you correctly state, the attitude taken, or at least in the past, the mind-set of the average matelot regarding this type of behaviour onboard a ship of the grey funnel line.