Security clearance

David-cnr

Hi, looking for some info hopefully from ninja, he seems to know what he's talking about.

Long story short - I sent away my security clearance and have passed my RT and interview. After I sent my security clearance away a fine from the police came through my door from over 3 years ago. (This may have been flagged to the police when the security clearance requested info or just coincidence)

I have not stated this in my vetting because; I had pled not guilty and had never heard anything back. I informed my AFCO Immediately and asked for advice; continue to pled not guilty? or just pay the fine so that my application can move on. My careers advisor explained that if it's a FISCAL fine it will be "spent" immediately if I just pay it. I also asked if I should inform whomever it may that is in charge of my security clearance. I was told not to.

I have not acted on this yet and don't want to second question my AFCO but I would like a second opinion. I recognise this is a weird situation to wrap your head around so any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi, looking for some info hopefully from ninja, he seems to know what he's talking about.

:rolleyes::eek::cool::p

Read it carefully (if you haven't already) is it genuine Police fine or one from a parking company or Local Council, what was the offence, which may help to clarify where its from.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
A fixed penalty fine, that does not involve the courts is 'spent' under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, once paid in full and will not affect entry.

All offences (besides parking or speeding tickets that do not result in a ban or do not go to court for non-payment) must be declared to National Security Vetting [NSV]at the time of submitting the application. If an undeclared offence crops up that has not been declared and needs to be declared, NSV will invite to subject to declare any fresh offences. If invited to declare and still not declared, SC will be rejected.

A fine that is handed down by a court must be declared and carries a twelve month rehabilitation period.

David-cnr

Hi thank you for the reply that was really helpful.

The fine is for cannabis, but happened in 2013(although it's a fresh fine as it has only cropped up last week)

Taking from what you said ninja, does that mean if I take this to court and I'm found not guilty I can continue my application? But if I pay the £75 fine my application will be prohibited for 12 months ?

Lastly, just to clarify. Will the NSV invite me to tell them. Or should I take initiative and email them now?

The story is too long and complex to bore you guys with, however let me clear this up, that my preference would be to take this to court as I am not guilty and my only willingness to pay this fine is in the belief that it will let me continue with my application without having to go to court.

A fixed penalty fine, that does not involve the courts is 'spent' under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, once paid in full and will not affect entry.

All offences (besides parking or speeding tickets that do not result in a ban or do not go to court for non-payment) must be declared to National Security Vetting [NSV]at the time of submitting the application. If an undeclared offence crops up that has not been declared and needs to be declared, NSV will invite to subject to declare any fresh offences. If invited to declare and still not declared, SC will be rejected.

A fine that is handed down by a court must be declared and carries a twelve month rehabilitation period.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why would you want to plead guilty to something that you say you are innocent of? Why has it taken over 3 years for the fine to get to you?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To be honest, if you haven't declared it on your SC application, it is surprising they haven't contacted you. Then again, maybe it isn't.

If in doubt, from what I've already replied, you can cover your six by giving NSV a call to check but you are advised to get a 24hr ration pack and a cup of tea in an insulated mug as they ain't quick. You can contact the DBS NSV helpdesk 01904 662644

David-cnr

Hi ninja I've just called the justice of the peace and spoke to a warrant officer who has explained this is a FISCAL fine and not court ordered. So I assume it would be spent if paid. I will call the NSV (although not advised from my AFCO) and cover all my bases.

Thank you for your help mate it is really appreciated.

David-cnr

Why would you want to plead guilty to something that you say you are innocent of? Why has it taken over 3 years for the fine to get to you?

As I've already said the only reason I would pay this fine, is to deal with it in a quick fashion and move on with my navy application. I've already been invited for an inquiry about the fine on 4th April in which I can plead my innocence, however it's still a long (and maybe unnecessary process) to go to court and pay for a solicitor.

Thanks for your help though it is appreciated.