Security Clearance - will I need to get it redone?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Feagal, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've heard tell that this only lasts for 12 months and, if I don't actually start basic within that time, I'll have to get it redone...

Does anyone know if this is the case?

I'm just worried because the waiting times for CT are mean I might overrun.

2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

How was my Daaaaaa? As good as yours?

I'm not sure about someone joining, but SC checks last for years. (10???)
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

SC is valid for 12 months when issued unless you join the service during that 12 months - thereafter it's 10 years validity.

If your trade has a long wait to join - consider joining the RNR - everything will then remain valid, as if by magic.

Bear in mind many AFCOs won't submit an SC questionnaire to DVA until quite a way into the application , due to cost.
  4. I'd say your dad was better - it shames me to admit it but my dad is all about pleasing himself if you know what I mean.
  5. Ah bugger, well I got my clearance in September last year and I'm not sure I'll get in before then. Looks like I might have to redo or, as kindly suggested, join the RNR.

6. Sorry to thread hijack, but does your RT score expire after 3 years if you've completed all other aspects of selection or does it only expire if a candidate sits the RT and then doesn't carry on and finish selection?

7. I would also like to know the answer to this if anyone can shed any light?

I've passed every stage including the RT on 23 November but I've got a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to have problems with entry within the next 12 months due to financial reasons. I can see all the effort effectively going to waste.
  8. You should have joined the RN/RM with a test score that is no older than 3 years. So yes in some cases candidates have to re-sit the RT prior to entry.

Naval recruiting staff are looking into the length of security clearances, especially with the current longer waiting times for branches.