Security Clearance Questions re current employment

Rachelthree

War Hero
Haha oops! I phoned both yesterday and neither had recieved anything and my clearance was sent a month ago? Is that normallll?

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Haha oops! I phoned both yesterday and neither had recieved anything and my clearance was sent a month ago? Is that normallll?
It's possible your AFCO have not sent your reference letters out yet - give your AFCO a call to enquire or ask them to re-send.

The_walk_of_shame

Lantern Swinger
What's the score with security clearance if you have former service?

In a previous life I was in a unit which required a considerably higher level of security clearance than normal. As a result I have already completed the standard SC process when I originally joined up and subsequently a more advanced SC process when I joined that particular unit.

Does this mean things might move a bit quicker for me or is it just a case of round the buoy again?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
SC remains valid for 12 months after leaving the service - after which it needs to be renewed unfortunately. Bizarrely it remains valid for 10 years whilst serving (RN, RNR, Army, TA, etc).

The odd thing I've noticed is that you'd think SC was quicker for those already vetted but in my experience it can take longer (Just thought I'd cheer you up!).

Waspie

War Hero
SC remains valid for 12 months after leaving the service - after which it needs to be renewed unfortunately. Bizarrely it remains valid for 10 years whilst serving (RN, RNR, Army, TA, etc).

The odd thing I've noticed is that you'd think SC was quicker for those already vetted but in my experience it can take longer (Just thought I'd cheer you up!).
My bold, that was the case for me. I left the RN after having a high security rating due to the info I was privy too. My next job required me to have SC clearance and it took five months!!!!! To those waiting, be patient the DVA or whatever it is called today is relatively small and the number of applicants to not just the forces but CS and other government agencies are many!

It will happen, just takes a while. Take up knitting or something whilst waiting!!!!!:grin: