Security Clearance - Los Parentos

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Feagal, May 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

I'm currently waiting on my security clearance and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if I am likely to experience any huge delays (or even refusals!) since my parents currently live in Argentina and have done so for the last 3 years.

Grateful for any feedback,
    F

p.s. My parents are both still British citizens with British passports and were both born here (although sometimes I think my dad came down from the moon)

p.p.s My brother is in what you could call quite an exclusive regiment in the army currently so I would have thought that would be a plus for me, if my parents could possibly be counted as a negative - is that the logic of it? The only thing is, no questions were asked about him on the form.

2. Feagal,

I am positive that this will not go against you in anyway. It is always the case that so long as you are upfront and honest. This always applies with the MoD and the proof is that Ive just been security cleared to a high level and been a naughty boy in the past!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally if you or your family live or have lived overseas for over 6 months in the last 5 years, you can expect a delay in gaining security clearance in most cases.

It basically boils down to how quickly the respective security services can process a background search when requested. Sometimes it's quick, sometimes not so quick.

My absolute record so far was a 12 months wait for a guy who then left 4 weeks after gaining clearance & joining.

In most cases it'll add about a month or three.

4. People like that must make your job really worthwhile NS :roll:

5. Ninja_Stoker

Absolutely, however one must always look inwardly, critically assess our shortcomings as an employer, prior to telling him to "Do one" should he return.

6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

So you get feedback on how the lads and lasses you recruit get on? Interesting. Do you have a rough percentage of how many recruits (RM and RN) successfully complete training?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, the aim of the game, contrary to popular misconceptions, is to get people to join, pass training & want to stay. We are judged on the numbers that join the trained strength rather than the numbers that just join, so obviously we aim to get the right people in the right jobs. (Unless of course they have a funny surname, in which case we put them in the job that's likely to cause the most hilarity [​IMG] ).

We get "wastage" returns every month telling us how many opt out, get medically discharged or get discharged unsuitable together with the reasons. I'll try to dig out some stats, rather than hazard wild guesses, but RM wastage is significantly higher than RN due mainly to the length & nature of training, the realisation of the reality of the job & the much higher injury rate during the rigours of training.

8. Hi all,

Thanks very much for the answers - looks like I shouldn't have too much to worry about... my parents are generally pretty lawful people.

So I guess I just have to be patient and wait for their findings... oh, the agony... fingers crossed mother isn't over there trying to sell them the Falkland Islands.

Cheers all.