Security Clearance Form Guidance notes.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Here's a handy link for those joining the service, requiring further advice upon filling out your Security Questionnaire (MOD FORM 1109) LINK: Security Clearance Guidance Notes

Warning read the instructions before you print the following- it's a 21 page document!

Made a mistake- want to LINK: download a duplicate security clearance form ?

BEFORE you do, don't press print- go to page 19 of the form, press the top right black box & you will get a drop-down menu- click on "1". You will then get a random number generated form & corresponding bar-code on each page. If you just press print by any other method the serial number is duplicated & the form completely invalid & rejected.

Edited to update guidance notes
  2. Bloody hell! F Ident 117 was never that complicated.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

I believe Security Clearance now costs around £2.5k per person.
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Further to the initial item, you can complete this form online & then print it out (remembering to use the drop-down menu on page19 to generate a random form serial number- DO NOT PRESS "PRINT FORM" as it will be entirely invalid).

Remember to sign pages 14 & 18 (BLACK INK) before returning it to your AFCO.

You're advised to ask your Careers Adviser to check it over when you return it to the AFCO so as you can rectify any errors there & then rather than delay the Security Clearance process as the form is posted back & forth.

Of all the forms, this is the one that can seriously delay your application if you do not get it right!
  6. Crickey, that's got me worried. I must have moved 8-10 times in the last five years and I'm not certain that I can provide entirely correct details.
  7. Costs a lot more if you're a foreign johhnie! :w00t:
  8. Out of interest, if you pass the SC, and go on to fail AIB, do you have any sort of clearance that may be of use at firms like QinitiQ, BAE, etc. or is it all entirely internal?
  9. Dear omelette,

Get your credit file from Experian, And that will have all your past address on there, (If you have a bank account ! And make sure the dates that are on you credit match what you write on the SC.

Should you have any question on how to get you credit file please PM me !!

Best of luck

The Fox
  10. Ninja_Stoker

We don't submit a security clearance form until both nominated referees have given favourable references, your ID has been verified and you appear to be a viable candidate. Bearing in mind there's not much point applying for SC for a rating, for example, who's branch has a two year wait for entry.

Once you have SC it remains valid for 12 months if you don't join up. Assuming you were to take-up employment that requires security clearance within that 12 months, you can request to have it transferred to that particular occupation, otherwise it expires.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

There is absolutely no need to get a credit file from experian or any other credit reference agency. Whenever you request a credit history it is recorded & costs you money.

IF you changed addresses with your bank details, simply ask the bank.

Otherwise the onus is on the individual to provide their adddresses for the previous 5 years. If you cannot provide the addresses, you cannot gain security clearance & you cannot join. Basically "can't remember" won't be accepted. It's a bit like the excuse people have when they say they cannot find two people to vouch for them as referees- it speaks volumes!
  12. As one of my references NEEDS to be my previous employer, I have included them on my application.

However they have told me they can only give dates of work and times off/lateness information as a reference and no personal information at all (company policy).

Will that be sufficient as a reference?
  13. Ninja_Stoker

To be honest, it's rather common policy for companies to claim this is their policy as they lack the spine to say whether someone is good or bad at their job- it's not fear of litigation (despite claims to the contrary- all we ask is for them to tell the truth-it's their fault if they cannot manage that), more a case of "too much trouble". The RN/RM at least tell you to your face & give you it in writing, good or bad!

A reference confirming where you work is of little use other than confirming where you work. To verify your employability status it's probably best to ask one of your work colleagues if they will be a character reference, vouching for your character, rather than as an employment reference. In the event we cannot gain a credible work or educational reference, we would normaly request a reference from a person of "social standing".

Schools will provide references for 3 years after you have left.
  14. To be honest I doubt anyone who I knew at that job is still working there. The turnover in the place was as high as 20-30 every two weeks, and it was rare your line manager even knew your name never mind vouch for your character.

It was a giant call center and I was just yet another minimum wage floor monkey. The chances of getting a useful reference are nil. Will the person recruiting me be sympathetic to that?

It said on the form that they would only take an educational reference if I had left within the last 12 months. It is coming up to 3 years since I left on Jan 08. Would I be able to use an educational reference from that long ago as my REQUIRED reference, the other being a personal one?

Thank you for answering my questions.
  15. Ninja_Stoker

As long as someone at your educational establishment still knows you, it's entirely appropriate.
  16. Really? Given i have travelled extensively how long am i going to have to wait for the thumbs up? or thumbs down? Whatever the case maybe...Its difficult because iam going to have to commit to another job soon they are going to be pissed if i leave for the Royal marines. :threaten:
  17. Commercial realities, yes they'll be pissed off, but equally you'll be pissed off if they phone you the day before you're due to start and tell you not to bother.

You are not liable for a notice period until you step in the door.
  18. True one needs to keep oneself funded even when living to a very strict budget. The indefinate time period that it can take for this process can make the situation very disheartening. Which is all i wished to express.
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Depends where you've been & for how long.

Quickest (non-foreign involvement) Security Clearance I've seen is around 6 to 8 weeks. Longest (overseas) 12 months. It varies.
  20. Thanks at least i have an idea for a extended timeframe.