Security Clearance Deadline

Belfast1882

Midshipman
Hi, I start at Collingwood on April 14th as a comms apprentice. I sent my SC questionnaire off on Dec 11th but still haven't heard back, but I have rang them and asked if they needed further information on a couple of occasions and they've said nope, it's in progress. RFA said there is a possibility (though not for a few more weeks) of being deferred if it hasn't come through in time.

I really don't have much that would actually need 'vetted' so is anyone familiar with it taking this long? And are deferrals common? I know UKSV is woefully understaffed and missing deadlines etc...

Any advice appreciated!

Random

Lantern Swinger
I really don't have much that would actually need 'vetted' so is anyone familiar with it taking this long? And are deferrals common? I know UKSV is woefully understaffed and missing deadlines etc...Any advice appreciated!
It will take as long as it takes, 3-6months is not that unusual in the defence community for aquiring initial clearence. Remember its not just the complexity of your application, its that of the others being processed at the same time, and theirs might have a higher priority than yours.

Whilst I understand your angst at not wanting to be defered, but think of it from the MOD's point of view, as a communicator you will be handling crypto (including in training) and they want to check its safe to issue it to you before you start.

Seadog

War Hero
I really don't have much that would actually need 'vetted'
A couple of Russians who visited Salisbury recently said the same thing. They were surprised to find that their assessment of their status was at odds with that of the Police, Porton Down and the Security Services.

ultramantis

Midshipman
My group was meant to have an extra two people that didn't manage to get security clearance in time for the course start date. Although I obviously don't know when they started the process, all that has happened to them is they have been backclassed

Jorda525

I'm also due to start on April 14th. I started my SC in Feb once I received the link and details, going by the OP it looks as though I'm gonna be deferred.
My concern is why are the RFA giving provisional start dates knowing that there are issues in receiving SC.

Random

Lantern Swinger
why are the RFA giving provisional start dates knowing that there are issues in receiving SC.
Provisional as in not set in stone? the dates are the earliest you can start, it's possible to (and lots of people do) get security clearance in that time.

However as I hinted at earlier there are lots of reasons why you application might not be at the top of the vetting pile (none of which are in the RFA's control).

So why are they telling people the dates that they are? Well it's their best guess based on the knowledge they have.

Hubert Holroyd

Midshipman
I had my interview November and SC was completed before Christmas so clearly this is not affecting everybody who applies for SC.

Belfast1882

Midshipman
I had my interview November and SC was completed before Christmas so clearly this is not affecting everybody who applies for SC.
Are you due to start April too as comms app? Im now getting communication from UKSV (just asked me to confirm Mums DOB, nothing major) so at least theyre on it.

Belfast1882

Midshipman
I'm also due to start on April 14th. I started my SC in Feb once I received the link and details, going by the OP it looks as though I'm gonna be deferred.
My concern is why are the RFA giving provisional start dates knowing that there are issues in receiving SC.
I was told to have mine done by early Dec. Did you have interview in Nov? Start date now April 23, btw.

Belfast1882

Midshipman
My mum and dad were both born outside of the UK, but on British military bases (Akrotiri and Alexandra, Singapore) to RAF and Army grandparents respectively. I don't think this would therefore be an issue but maybe it is?

It's just infuriating to be 14 weeks in and hardly be asked for any information or provided with any update. Same for everyone I know but my God it's annoying!

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
My mum and dad were both born outside of the UK, but on British military bases (Akrotiri and Alexandra, Singapore) to RAF and Army grandparents respectively. I don't think this would therefore be an issue but maybe it is?

It's just infuriating to be 14 weeks in and hardly be asked for any information or provided with any update. Same for everyone I know but my God it's annoying!
Yeah it does get stressful especially when your start date is coming up.
Best thing todo is keep pestering your afco till they give you info I guess

Belfast1882

Midshipman
Yeah it does get stressful especially when your start date is coming up.
Best thing todo is keep pestering your afco till they give you info I guess
I have pestered and pestered... start date is April 23 but I had hoped to finish work next week and have a little holiday with the mates and a leaving do etc lol just scuppering the plans a bit.... got til 16th for it to come in otherwise 5 months wait

Max9393

Lantern Swinger
I have pestered and pestered... start date is April 23 but I had hoped to finish work next week and have a little holiday with the mates and a leaving do etc lol just scuppering the plans a bit.... got til 16th for it to come in otherwise 5 months wait
That's what they told you ? I was told if you get that close and don't get the clearance they normally give you a waiver.
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone

Ksig

Sorry to hear its taking so long.

I also received and completed my SC at the start of December, I remember getting an email asking my Mam's DOB within a week of sending it off then an email from RFA recruitment roughly 6 weeks later to say it had been granted. Start date 23rd April same as yourself, hopefully see you there.

Belfast1882

Midshipman
Sorry to hear its taking so long.

I also received and completed my SC at the start of December, I remember getting an email asking my Mam's DOB within a week of sending it off then an email from RFA recruitment roughly 6 weeks later to say it had been granted. Start date 23rd April same as yourself, hopefully see you there.
Thanks mate. As I said, all I want is some info. If there is a problem - just say. If there's not, then grant it!

Hopefully see you then pal

Latest Threads