Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Security Checks

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
My son wants to go into the RN so I'm guessing that there will be a couple of security checks carried out.

Question is will hubby and I also be security checked and if so what do they cover?

TIA

Hi Cadets MUM,

The security check is done by the Defence Vetting agency. They will do Financial, criminal and general background checks. They will check out the addresses you have lived at to see if there are any major debts. We are not overly interested in the parents. However if the candidate is young then we may want to see what sort of an parents they had. Most of that will be covered by the formal interview with a careers advisor.

The security check really is to see how honest the candidate is and to see if they could be potentially blackmailed into giving away the secrets of the Royal Navy, by threats to disclose any previous bad judgements.

Don't worry to much about the family side of any checks, providing you're not active members in the Al Queda you should be fine.

SM - Naval Careers advisor

:nemo:

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
thanks for the reply.

No we're not active (or inactive come to think of it!) members of Al Queda but what does bother me a little is that, like a lot of people these days, I have some financial issues and have come to a debt repayment plan with the creditors. None of it has gone to court / subject to ccjs etc

The plan is to apply for 6th form sponsership next year and I was wondering if this come to light / affect his application in anyway?

Gaz85

Badgeman
All i would say is not to worry, most people in the country have some form of debt , better still its not going to court etc so no worries if you ask me

cadetsmum said:
thanks for the reply.

No we're not active (or inactive come to think of it!) members of Al Queda but what does bother me a little is that, like a lot of people these days, I have some financial issues and have come to a debt repayment plan with the creditors. None of it has gone to court / subject to ccjs etc

The plan is to apply for 6th form sponsership next year and I was wondering if this come to light / affect his application in anyway?

It shouldn't really matter, as long as your son fits the selection critreia for the sixth form sponsorship schemes everything should be OK.

SM

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for the info.

I feel a bit of a plonker for getting into the situation in the first place and if it affected the boy's chance of what he wanted to do then I would hate myself for ever.

If he did go ahead with the application for 6th form sponsership when would the vetting be done - at the time of the application or nearer the time of him actually joining? The cunning plan at the moment is that he would join after 6th form.

The checks will not be done until nearer the time of your son joining. Have you made an application for sixth form sponsorship yet.

SM

Does this mean vetting procedures have relaxed in recent years? When I joined the Comms Branch (RNXS) back in 1991 I was PVd on the grounds that we would be handling and processing RN signals!!! o_O

brigham600

War Hero
thingy said:
Does this mean vetting procedures have relaxed in recent years? When I joined the Comms Branch (RNXS) back in 1991 I was PVd on the grounds that we would be handling and processing RN signals!!! o_O

Thingy,

Cadets Mum is asking about security for joining the RN and not about a specific post, which is when the DVA (Defence Vetting Agency) become involved and you are then DV'd (Developed Vetting). You are only DV'd if you are going to be handling sensitive information (Top Secret codeword stuff) Been there, done that throughout the majority of my career as a communicator.

He will will receive the normal SC (Security Check) vetting, which is what supermario is informing her of.

No one is required to be DV'd just to handle normal communications signal stuff at all, otherwise the whole of the Warfare Branch would require it and at around £35k a time, that would be rather large bill for the MOD.

brigham600 said:
thingy said:

Thingy,

Cadets Mum is asking about security for joining the RN and not about a specific post, which is when the DVA (Defence Vetting Agency) become involved and you are then DV'd (Developed Vetting). You are only DV'd if you are going to be handling senstive information (Top Secret codeword stuff) Been there, done that throughout the majority of my career as a communicator.

He will will receive the normal SC vetting, which is what supermario is informing her of.

Thanks Brigham. :thumright:

Apologies to Cadet's Mum ^_^;

cadetsmum

Lantern Swinger
Super Mario

Yes he's gone down to see the Officer Recruitment Officer back in September so has got the ball rolling so to speak and he has been asked if he wanted to go on a station visit in the New Year which he jumped at.

If its a case of not being security checked until he actually joins (which would be about 3 years away if everything went according to plan) then I can see the debts being sorted as they are not huge but large enough to be a problem.

thanks everyone.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
To re-iterate what Supermario has already stated, the credit check is on the named individual, not their relatives.

_Tim_

Banned
Ninja_Stoker said:
To re-iterate what Supermario has already stated, the credit check is on the named individual, not their relatives.

Made large for truth and obnoxiousness

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Security Checks and Debt Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
themuddyduck Security and DBS checks - Am I missing something? Joining the Royal Navy 4
C Royal Navy security checks Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
muskovardo Security checks Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
Rum-dooer Security checks Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
O security checks Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS Fines handed to Bradford security businessmen for infringement of the Private Security Industry Act MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inclusion, partnership and an international approach to fragility and security MoD News 0
LandScrubber 2021 Strategic Defence and Security Review RFA 6
MoD_RSS Home Secretary hails security agreement with EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Social Security, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS An end of year message to the private security industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Presentation by the UK chairperson of the OSCE Security Committee MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Minister for Africa visits Nairobi to progress UK-Kenya Partnership on security and education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Committing to ensure long-term stability and security in DRC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary attends security conference in Bahrain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advocating for security sector governance and reform MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Security Minister speech to the Royal United Services Institute MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New telecoms security law to protect UK from cyber threats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Non-Jury Trials Justice and Security (Northern Ireland) Act 2007 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM’s record defence pledge to protect Scottish security and jobs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Putting the needs and security of Israelis and Palestinians first MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Making the Security Council better reflect the twenty-first century MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Supporting international efforts to build Somalia's long term security and stability MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Committing to safeguarding progress made on the Women, Peace and Security agenda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary reaffirms UK commitment to leadership on Euro-Atlantic security at NATO Defence Ministerial MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UNSCR 1325 on women, peace and security: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Accrington security boss barred from the industry MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Help! I'm not allowed in a High Security area..... Diamond Lil's 23
MoD_RSS Code of conduct for security operatives MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Security operative saves suicidal man on Great Yarmouth beach MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Security boss pleads guilty to supplying unlicensed security guards MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Protective Security Management Systems MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Chair of The Social Security Advisory Committee appointed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Addressing chemical weapons use in Syria and non-compliance of Security Council resolutions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prague 2020 5G Security Conference 24 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New legislation protects national security capability to fight serious crime MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement by Lord (Tariq) Ahmad of Wimbledon at the Security Council open debate on Humanitarian Impacts of Environmental Degradation MoD News 0
guns1969 Channel Security Diamond Lil's 2
MoD_RSS Funding boost to help healthcare suppliers improve cyber security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 5StarS: developing a security framework for autonomous and connected vehicles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for Proposals: The UK Government’s Conflict, Stability and Security Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of fair elections, security and humanitarian assistance in Somalia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for proposals for the UK Government’s Conflict, Stability and Security Fund MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government advances plans to boost security of smart products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl forecasts future quantum landscape for UK defence and security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Maintaining international peace and security MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary Statement on National Security Legislation in Hong Kong MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of Prime Minister's National Security Advisor MoD News 0