Secrets of the Kursk

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Redsailor, Feb 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this clip on YouTube:

that may be if interest. Doesn't reveal any secrets of course except the possible engagement between the Kursk and an American boat the USS Toledo. Well presented it is still only a theory so make of it what you will.

Red Sailor
  2. kursk collided with USS Scorpion....well it makes about as much sense as all the rest of the drivel shoved out by these ghouls in the name of entertainment.
  3. I thought it was no more believable than the rumour that every submariner is going to receive 5 million from the government as a “Thank You†for all their efforts.

4. Yes, but not sterling but in Turkish lira...
  5. One thing that emerged in the programme was a rather neat circular hole at the edges of the cut off bow section, with the edges pointing INWARDS, as the commentator implied, reminiscent of the hole caused by a DU headed Mark 48. Once the hole became a focus for camera teams, it was rapidly covered up, and never seen again. This would tend to give credence to the idea that an Elmer boat fished the KURSK, but can you imagine 250 matelots keeping quiet about it ? Not in Jack's make up of any nationality to keep such a dit secret ....
  6. The youtube clip said there were 3 SSNs (2xUSA, 1xUK) and a spy ship near the Kursk. All would have heard the bow caps opening, the torpedo in the water etc. I just don’t buy it.

7. Funny how, with such a big Soviet exercise, they seemed to permit, even tolerate the presence of non-Soviet bloc vessels - several of the "trips" I did during Ivan fleet maneuvers, they became quite offended at our presence, and made their displeasure very well known.
  8. I think you will find that Tommy Cox the writer and singer of that tribute song to the Kursk was certainly not a ghoul but rather a Russian speaking spook and a qualified submariner who rode various USN boats during the Cold War. He has only recently retired from doing gigs at US Subvets reunions for many years all of which were at no charge. The reference to Scorpion and Thresher were only drawn for the similarities between the disasters i.e. Subsmash.

Red Sailor