Secretary of State for Defence AND SCOTLAND??

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Not_a_boffin, Jun 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So now we know what priority Fat Gordon is going to give defence. So important that Dopy Des is now double-hatted (or should that be Browne-hatted) as SoS Defence and Scotland.

Absolute fcuking disgrace....
  2. I guess that defence now IS a matter for the scots....someone please inform MSPs of this
  3. Do you mean he has 2 separate appointments?

SofS for Defence and a separate SofS for Scotland?

My concern is that he won't be able to devote enough time to the Defence job and the MSPs will just tell him to bog off and mind his own business.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

No prizes for guessing where the MOD contracts will go then...bye bye Pompey and Guz.
  5. What a fcuking disgrace!
  6. Well he was certainly one that should have got the heave, although I thought he would manage to keep a job out of the shuffle. At least Wee Eck will kick up a stink if he tries to cock things up in Scotland, but who the hell is there to keep a check on him for the armed forces.
  7. tbh this could be a good thing....
  8. Well he was certainly one that should have got the heave, although I thought he would manage to keep a job out of the shuffle. At least Wee Eck will kick up a stink if he tries to cock things up in Scotland, but who the hell is there to keep a check on him for the armed forces.
  9. So we have the greatest op tempo since WWII, and GB gives the most important cabinet defence job to someone who will be busy fighting off the SNP....where has common sense gone????
  10. Actually, what has become apparent is few of the new appointments have any experience in the area to which they were appointed - again! Would have been nice, for instance, to have someone at the home office who had some experience of security and intelligence (economics in no counts!), or health by someone who had medical experience (rather than union experience - cos that'll help!)

Having the Poisoned Pygmy in charge of communities will surely lead to civil unrest! As for the nepotism - one married couple and one pair of brothers......
  11. The full Cabinet are available here:

Her Majesty's Government - members of the Cabinet 28 June 2007

The Queen has been pleased to approve the following Ministerial appointments.

The Queen has also been pleased to approve that Ed Balls MP, Andy Burnham MP, Ed Miliband MP, James Purnell MP, and Shaun Woodward MP, be sworn of Her Majesty's most honourable Privy Council.

The Queen has been pleased to signify Her intention of conferring a peerage of the United Kingdom for Life on Mark Malloch-Brown.

Full list of Cabinet members

Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service
    The Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP

Chancellor of the Exchequer
    The Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
    The Rt Hon David Miliband MP

Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor
    The Rt Hon Jack Straw MP

Secretary of State for the Home Department
    The Rt Hon Jacqui Smith MP

Secretary of State for Defence; and, Secretary of State for Scotland
    The Rt Hon Des Browne MP

Secretary of State for Health
    The Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP

Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
    The Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP

Secretary of State for International Development
    The Rt Hon Douglas Alexander MP

Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform
    The Rt Hon John Hutton MP

Leader of the House of Commons (and Lord Privy Seal); Minister for Women; and Labour Party Chair
    The Rt Hon Harriet Harman QC MP

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions; and Secretary of State for WalesThe Rt Hon Peter Hain MP

Secretary of State for Transport
    The Rt Hon Ruth Kelly MP

Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
    The Rt Hon Hazel Blears MP

Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Chief Whip
    The Rt Hon Geoff Hoon MP

Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families
    The Rt Hon Ed Balls MP

Minister for the Cabinet Office; and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
    The Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP

Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
    The Rt Hon James Purnell MP

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland
    The Rt Hon Shaun Woodward MP *

Leader of the House of Lords (and Lord President of the Council)
    The Rt Hon the Baroness Ashton of Upholland

Chief Secretary to the Treasury
    The Rt Hon Andy Burnham MP

Secretary of State for Innovation, Universities and Skills
    The Rt Hon John Denham MP

Cabinet Minister for the Olympics and London and South East
    The Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP

Lords Chief Whip and Captain of the Gentlemen at Arms
    The Rt Hon the Lord Grocott

Attorney General
    The Rt Hon the Baroness Scotland of Asthal QC

Minister for Housing
    Yvette Cooper MP

Minister for Africa, Asia and UN
    Mark Malloch-Brown

Parliamentary Private Secretaries to the Prime Minister
    Ian Austin MP
    Angela E Smith MP

* Unpaid
  12. The phrase: 'Possible conflict of interest' comes to mind....
  13. I don't think there will be any conflict in his mind...his decision making process will be very easy!

and in a few years:

Everything goes to Scotland.

In a few years Scotland declare UDI and the military, especially the RN, is shafted...and not in a good way.

They should have offered Defence to Paddy Ashdown.
  14. so, is Defence not important enough now to have its own Minister. Figures.
    offered the job to Paddy Ashdown, I dont think so.
  15. So long Pompey… it was nice knowing you.
  16. Maybe they did; and maybe Paddy said shove it.
  17. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Nice to see a husband and wife in the Cabinet.

One question - is it me or are there a large number of members from north of the Watford Gap.....
  18. The news on Swiss Des is incredible. I can only assume it's in preparation to moving him to the Scottish Office full-time. I can't believe that Des would have asked for even more on his plate.

The buzz around Swiss, is he is earnest about Defence, and does try to function in spite of the tight leash of the Treasury.

I did however read this with dismay on the BBC report on who is who in the inner circle

Google this individual. I fear for the future, I really do.
  19. Well of course there aren't too many members to choose from south of the Watford Gap.

Who the f*ck is Jacqui Smith and how is she equipped to be an effective Home Secretary, particularly in the current climate.

As for Des Browne, well this seems to show complete contempt for the office of Defence Secretary, once upon a time we had proper heavyweight MPs filling this role. New Labour have given us a shower of muppets, particularly buffHOON and the current idiot and now they downgrade the post by job sharing it with a Scottish role aaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. This is one of the more odd decisions, does seem to be a bit of a kick in the teeth at a time when defence ought to be a prime focus. However, the previous SoS for Scotland was Alistair Darling, who double hatted the job with SoS for Transport (which, given the state of the roads, railways and aviation, isn't exactly what you would call a small job either). The role actually indicates the fact that the Scottish Office now has very little to do but the govt won't get rid of the post because that would send the "wrong" message to the respective countries (stand fast Northern Ireland).

Of course, Des is a key Brown loyalist and, taking the longer term view, this might actually be a way of easing him out of defence in due course on the pretext that Scotland and SNP bashing needs to be more of a full-time job. Brilliant really, won't sack his friend, so justs ups his workload so that the post can be reshaped/de-enriched when the media are looking elsewhere.