Second Thoughts

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by K640, Aug 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got my interview on Monday for ET(MESM) and as the title of the thread suggests I'm having second thoughts about my branch choice.

I was stuggling to choose between MESM and WESM as both have aspects that interest me and ever since I made my decision I've been wondering if it's the right one. Obviously no-one on here can tell me which would be best for me, it's something I have to decide for myself, but it's a big decision and one I need to make sure I get right. I'm sure i'd be happy enough in either branch but it must be better to love your job than merely like it!

I've considered tossing a coin but I'm not sure what should be heads and what should be tails. Anyone had any experience with magic eight balls?

2. If you toss a coin just make sure you're not in Liverpool, they don't come down. :D

3. MESM .Nuff said

4. The coin toss will be performed in the safety of my own home. After a risk assesment has been performed by a qualified health and safety type obviously.

5. Put two pieces of paper in a hat. Write on one piece Snaggy, write on the other Sleepy. fold them up and then put them in the hat, give them a good shake and pull one out. Which ever is the one that is pulled out is your destiny!

6. K640

Tell us which elements of each role interest you and also what you see as the plus/minus aspects of each of them.

7. No on second thoughts WESM definately.

8. AET its like being in the Navy without water!!!

K604 Whereabouts in North Wales are you from?

9. Or on the other hand , perhaps I was right first time.
    I used to be indesisive but now I'm not so sure.
    Perhaps you had the right idea at the start.
    [​IMG]

10. Soleil

Part of the problem is that I'm worried I've made my decision based on misconceptions of the role that I got from unofficial sources (this site basically!) The main ones are as follows;

MESM seems to be more hands on in terms of fixing stuff and later in my career the opportunity to work with the nuclear side of things appeals to me. Great qualifications, particularly if I manage to go SUY at some point (ie the PgDip).

WESM seems to be more about sending broken stuff back to the manufacturers to fix and moving wepaons around than actually fixing/maintaining things. Also worried that if I got trained on Trident I'd be stuck on bombers forever! However, the high tech electronic gadgety stuff sounds right up my street.

11. What the fcuks the point in being in Navy without water? :D

I live in Bodelwyddan (near Rhyl :oops: )

12. You'll learn!! :D

Was born in St Asaph, brought up in Shotton (left in 85 to join up).

13. I served on the Rhyl.Glad it was called the Rhyl and not the Bodelwhatsit :D

14. Or worse HMS Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

15. We had a lot of gear nicked off one of our R.I.B's in Rhyl, well everything but the hull itself.

16. I had a feeling you were going to do that :D

17. JFH - Seem like everyone in North Wales was born in St Asaph. My only experience of Shotton is spending an hour waiting for a train on my way back from Wrexham.

V8 -I think Bodelwhatsit is a crakcing name for a ship. In fact I may name my first child that.

Update on choosing. MESM won the coin toss and WESM won the paper hat thing. Back to square one unfortunately.

18. Imagine the cap tally? :D

19. Met a Danish bird in Slovenia who wanted me to teach her how to say that. Longest hour of my life and I didn't even get a shag out it :(

20. There'll be some submariners around later. See what they have to say.