Second Thoughts

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Qbert, Jun 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Long story short - left RNR couple of years ago. Regretted shortly after, but assumed it was the nostalgia effect. Still regret. Could still be the nostalgia effect but am considering whether to crawl back.

Am 39, and had 12 years in before I left.

Anyone know what are the rules for rejoining? (i.e. what age, where would I be able to pick up from etc.) Anyone else been in the same position?

Cheers.

2. It really depends on how long you've been out, what rank/trade you were before.

Best thing to do is go along to your Unit and have a word with someone there.. I'm guessing that they'll take you back; it just may not be at the level that you once were.

3. Cheers.

For the record - AB1 AWFP, OG518, OG547, Minigun. Should have been aiming to do LRC next (one of the reasons I chucked it in). One thing I just could not face is NE course. That's a big nooooo! I'm getting a cold sweat just thinking about it.

Not spoken to the wife yet, so I suppose I'd better float the idea with her first :argue: . Not sure about all the abuse I'm bound to get off all my old oppos for crawling back either :lol:

A bit more thinking methinks.

4. As the OC of your old branch, I have a view, and as I am currently doing a stint in NPT RES, where the Requirements Manager (who has final decision) sits, I have some advice.
    Phone your unit SM, he will probably remember you, and if he welcomes you back, then ask the unit to apply to NPT Res for re-entry to the RNR and the branch. It will then be viwed on its merits.
    If your unit believes that you should not do NE Training, then they will put their recommendation in the letter.
    Good Luck

SO2 Seaman

5. SO2 - Thanks for that. That's useful advice.

Still need to be really sure in my own mind if I made a mistake leaving and that it's not just the rosy specs going on, but I definitely feel something is missing and the RNR is popping into my head more and more often - Possibly sad, but true. I definitely had what I felt were genuine and compelling reasons for leaving at the time, but with the benefit of that wonderful thing called hindsight I don't really think any of these issues were as insurmountable as I thought, and in fact some of the issues weren't as it turned out down to the RNR at all.

It helps to know that there is a possible route back that sounds like it may not be too painful. Main reason for posting on here first before hassling my old RTC was to see how the land lay before making it more official.

Will endeavour to make a decision soon - at least before my big 4-0 anyway!

I wonder if there are many like me who regret leaving though? Do many come back? I'm not aware of any who did in the 12 years I was at my RTC.

Thanks again. I'll report back when decision made.

6. I think that's the reason why so many of us have stayed in the RNR - concerned that we'll leave and then wish that we hadn't. I've been in for 13 years now, and have totally had enough. The RNR is sh*te, non-existent training for most branches, officers who (mostly) care more about their own careers than those of the ratings, and no chance of promotion or even a thank you, while being expected to hand-hold potential JOs through the NE class.

But I've been in for so long that I'm not sure about leaving..

7. If the missus is going to give you hassle about rejoining, what is she going to say about you deploying?

8. Actually she's always been pretty supportive so I don't think she'd not make much of an issue out of it - so perhaps I'm over-egging that part. Just me being a coward and not knowing how to breach the subject. If anything I think it'd be more me worrying about her whilst I was deployed. You know, if the car breaks down, or the central heating broke down or something and could she cope on her own. Our closest family are about 3 hours drive away so she'd be pretty isolated apart from a couple of mates.

Deployment is the major sticking point at the mo, although on my part I could do with a change from the same old, same old civvy life, and part of my regret was that I never did "the job" I was trained for.. :roll:

9. I don't think that you should worry about her not being able to cope if the car breaks down or the central heating packs up, to be honest. She's probably much more capable than you think! Most women can deal with problems like that with ease. Anyway, if you've got RAC cover or similar and Central Heating repair cover etc, these things just require a phone call!

10. I was getting all excited about joining the RNR and was really looking forward to the challenges that it will offer and then I see a post like this. Is it really this bad? Am I making a mistake?

11. Thankfully we live in a free society that allows free speach, and it is everyone's right (within certain constraints, given some of us decide to join a diciplined service) to express oppinions, but at the end of the day they are just oppinions, and are not necessarily fact.
    The best way to get to the real facts is to go down to your local unit and talk face to face with current Reservists, some will bite your arm off and tell you that the RNR is the best thing since sliced bread, whilst others may say that it is no longer as good as it was in thier day. When you have listened to those in the unit, you will be able to make up your mind.
    Personally, and this is my oppinion, The RNR does have issues, just like about every other Govt department, but I do not believe they are as bad as some say, and I work hard (as do a huge number of other Reservists) in trying to make the RNR a better place.

Best of luck, I hope you find that the RNR has more plus points than negative, and end up having a worthwhile, interesting and enjoyable time. Meanwhile, I'm exceeding thankful that we live in a free society where free speach is allowed - and that's something that if you do join the RNR, you may be called upon to defend.

Yours Aye
    SO2 Seaman

12. I have a point of view on the subject of to do,... or not to do, and it goes like this:-
    When my mates and I were in the far flung and had been there a spell, you could oft times hear comments made along the lines of "Wish we were in the UK now".
    When we had been back home a month or two the gist was "Wish we were out the FES now".
    The grass truly is always greener on the flip side.

The answer therefore is try it, don't like it?... (after you have given it a time,)... leave it. What you don't do is let others make your mind up for you.

13. I think that one thing I should have mentioned is that it is no worse anywhere else. We do all have gripes, but is the grass really greener on the other side? I doubt it.

A lot of people, as you say, really do work hard in the background. However, it would be nice, if time to time, those working behind the scenes would come out and tell those in front exactly what is going on.

14. Being former service you can apply to re-join the RNR up to the age of 45. If you have been outside in excess of 12 months (which reading your post I believe you have), you have to be processed via your nearest AFCO. They will undertake the initial assessment then forward your file to CNR, after they have completed your medical docs check they will forward your file to NPT(Res) for approval to continue the process. NPT(Res) will inform the AFCO of the terms and conditions you should re-enter under, i.e. seniority, branch allocation, unit etc provided you meet all of the entry criteria including medical and fitness requirements. I would also contact your local unit to make them aware of your intention to re-join so they have a heads up. Hope this helps.