Second Preference- Application for a Commission

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ExonOxon, May 11, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've passed my Sift interview and I'm filling in AFCO Form 104 (Application for a Commission in the Naval Service) and there is a section where you put your preferences (1,2 or 3) to represent the order in which you want to be considered (Logistics, Warfare-General Service, Warfare-Submarine Service, Aviation-Pilot etc.)

I want to be a Logistics Officer so obviously that is my first preference, but will putting a second or third preference make it more likely that I will not be offered my first preference? Is it the case that because they are shorter for one branch than another if I put down Warfare they will offer me Warfare in a situation where if I had not put down a second preference I would have been offered Logistics? Or is it just the case that I only get offered my second preference as an alternative to being rejected outright?
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

AIB will generally aim to give you your first preference although I have seen those with a low pass, not likely to make selection in their first preference, offered an alternative - usually from a shortage category. I suspect if you put 1. Logs, 2. Logs (SM) you will be invited to consider SM however you score - if SM is the priority for the service. Obviously you can be made SM after joining anyway - if the service need dictates but if you volunteer for a shortage category, so much the better from the service perspective.

If it was me, I'd only list the jobs that interested me. They'll still offer you alternatives if they wish, whatever you score at AIB but equally you can say "no thanks". Over the years I've seen people opt for observer over pilot but suspect that had they stuck to their guns they'd have just ended-up as a clever pilot.
  3. Thanks Ninja, so probably best to just put down logs as that way I have more room to say "thanks for the offer, but I'd rather take logs" should they offer an alternative?

Interestingly there's only one option for logs, just LO- no separate logs (SM). If I were to pick a second pref. it would probably be warfare.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  4. Ninja_Stoker

If eligible for Warfare (lower age restrictions, more stringent medical criteria) then certainly put it down if you would consider it. Bear in mind historically Logs, because of the wider entry parameters, tends to raise the bar for selection as it always used to be over-subscribed. Warfare Officer tends to be routinely under-subscribed. More recently there was a drop in Logs Officer applicants with the threat of a recruiting shortfall.
  5. Ok, thank you, but if I did put down warfare as a second preference would it increase the chances of me not being offered Logs?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  6. Ninja_Stoker