Second Medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Lexy, Apr 1, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have my second medical booked for next week to review my medical records regarding my history of perthes - I'm not too worried about this as it was such a mild case when I was 4 years old and from speaking to people on here and other research it seems it shouldn't be an issue as it healed really well (hoping so anyway)

My main concern is my peak flow - at the first medical I was recovering from flu and a bad cough so seeing as I had to come back to review med records anyway, my low reading was brushed over with the intention to re do it at the second medical.

The doctor sent me away with a peak flow metre so I could practice - and annoyingly it doesn't seem to have improved hardly at all. My best reading has been about 350 but it mostly hovers around 275-300 which I am well aware isn't great!

I have no history of asthma and according to some sources, with a reading this low I should be struggling with exercise, which is not the case at all - I can complete the fitness test relatively easily and I train 6 times a week with a mix of intense cardio and weight training - basically I don't see how there is anything wrong with my lungs.

I have searched through the forum cause I know peak flow is discussed a lot, but it seems to be mostly centred around people with asthma.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of passing or just having further tests if they fail to meet the required peak flow reading, or if it is an automatic bar to entry?

Sorry for the essay!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Very often low peak flow readings an simply be a result of poor technique. All you can do is see what the medical officer advises.

Good luck.

3. Ninja is right. I let my immediate family try it and it's crazy but also quite amusing to see how many methods people have of using a spinometer.

Unfortunately my issue was asthma while in my youth so I'm no help. I wish you the best of luck!

4. The mistake people make with the peakflow is that they think you have to blow as hard as you can, WRONG. You need to blow as fast as you can so that the marker travels as far as possible. I genuinely reckon this is the reason why so many people get misdiagnosed with asthma..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Why would you need to be 4 years clean of an inhaler when I can imagine in that case it's just a common chest infection?

6. Ninja_Stoker

It's an interesting point.

The Navy applies it's own, single service medical policy in the case of asthma. No one else makes everyone ever prescribed an inhaler undergo a peak flow diary.

What is bewildering is the service is struggling to recruit sufficient numbers to meet current requirements due to the inability to retain, let alone the perceived requirement to grow. It is prepared to accept risks in all other areas but will not apply wider parameters with regard medical suitability.

Very often the medical standards are based on the assumption someone has an increased likelihood of medically related vulnerability in later life - ignoring the fact the average matelot only serves around six years.

Problem is, some medical professionals hide behind the charade of being "all knowing" and are disdainful of considering "non-qualified" common sense suggestions. Perish the thought that someone is prepared to accept limited medical risk and manage statistically minimal consequences arising.

Jeez, they'll be asking them to work weekends, next! :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. This is what always confuses about the JSP thing. JSP states that everyone with a history of asthma/wheeze has to do a peak flow diary. But I for one know that the army don't make you do a peakflow diary. Surely if its Joint Service Policy it should be applied to all 3 services?

8. Ninja_Stoker

No, individual services can apply single service standards if they wish.

An applicant cannot quote the JSP, which is not officially in the public domain, however it can be quoted to an applicant. That said, so far as I'm aware, very few fail the peak flow.

• Like Like x 1