Searching for a ship's bell

Slimmerb

This is a long status but please bear with me. In 1968 when our daughter was born my husband was serving on HMS Clarbeston based in Plymouth and we decided to have her baptised in the ship's bell. A plinth was made and the bell was engraved with the words: Denise Kate Margetts December 22nd 1968 (I can't remember exactly what form that inscription took but that was the basic content). We were given permission to take the bell up to the Cotswolds where she was baptised in the church where we had married two years before. When the ship paid off, the two previous captains of the Clarbeston gave up their rights to the bell so that we would have the right to purchase it but, sadly, it went to an unknown buyer. Over the years, we have periodically tried various avenues in searching for the bell as we have never given up hope that someone, somewhere, knows where it is but to no avail. If my Facebook friends would be so kind as to share this post and their friends could do the same, who knows, we could finally get the chance to acquire the bell. I would so love my daughter to have it after nearly 50 years of searching. Thank you in advance for your support! X

huwshpis

War Hero
Is that the drumend of a winch and cleats,or someone throwing up over the port bow? Iron men in wooden ships...:)
HMNB Rosyth 1978. HMS Repton secured as outside ship in a trot of 2. I was the middle, everyone else turned in. 03 dubs a Jock Modplod brings a wet bleeding bundle over the brow and asks, "Is this yours?" It was indeed LMEM X, usually 5ft 3in vertical by 8ft lateral (I was at Imperial College, we don't do non-imperial units) returning on board drunk from his run ashore.

Got the POOW out of his pit, got X to his bunk. Story was, he'd got so wasted, the civvy police tried to grab him and he put several on the ground before being arrested, so the Sheriff Court was waiting AND he was in the rattle on board.

When I surfaced after my extra 30 min, X was still out of it in his lower bunk but he'd been provided with cell bars made of white maskers!

Slipped and proceeded, X came on deck about 1100, ran to the side, threw up once and went back to work.

Wooden ships, iron men?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R searching for info on Raymond Dutton HMS Fulmer, 1946 Nearest & Dearest 3
Ms Pompey Dragon SEEKING FOR HELP-SEARCHING INFO FOR TONY AGNEW RN, Ret. Nearest & Dearest 1
M SEARCHING Site Issues 1
M Searching on this site Site Issues 20
P searching Nearest & Dearest 3
MoD_RSS News story: Searching for the military engineers of the future MoD News 0
E Searching for HMS St. Vincent "Briers" Bases / Shore Est 3
G Searching for a father Diamond Lil's 23
K searching for my uncle The Quarterdeck 2
4to8 Searching The Gash Barge 0
5 Searching for Info on Korea 1950 History 3
C Searching for old shipmate The Fleet Air Arm 12
P searching for more info on my father History 4
slim Royal Navy searching for gay recruits Diamond Lil's 14
ProudNavyWife(tooBe) searching Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Searching for Family Member Nearest & Dearest 1
A Searching records in National Archives of RN Ratings to 1923 History 1
4 SEARCHING FOR 43 (RM) COMMANDO VETS (1942-1945) The Corps 0
F Looking for information about Grandads pre-war ship service record... Can anyone help? History 13
BUCK1939 Anyone got any photos from 1960's of the Ship's Company lining the deck when leaving port. The Fleet 2
MoD_RSS UK Ship Register Information MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Braemar Cruise Ship: Foreign Office Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement on the Grand Princess cruise ship MoD News 0
soleil Afloat: "Large UK Naval Auxiliary Replenishment Ship Completes Special Survey In Merseyside Shipyard" RFA 3
B Hypersonic attack(s) on ship building yards Current Affairs 38
soleil Navy News (FB): North Shields - HMS Northumberland - Ship Open To Visitors - Saturday, February 8th 2020 The Fleet 1
soleil T-23 Ship Systems Controls Simulator Trainer - Vacancy - Gosport - Closing Date 07 Feb 2020 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 1
Bad CO HMS Arrow - Anyone Know Where the Ship's Bell Is? History 17
MoD_RSS London model ship builder helps chart the course of Qatar’s history MoD News 0
RumCorps HMAS Choules - A cruise ship without the pina coladas International 1
Happy Day Ship's Library! The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Test site to help develop autonomous ship work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Bell from American ship destroyed in Second World War going home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New ship to boost safe navigation in UK seas MoD News 0
A visit to ship Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp HMS Argyll: Navy crew saves 27 from burning ship The Fleet 1
J Ship shift length Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS News story: Government stakeholders endorse DASA’s safety at sea competition - Get the Ship in Shape: accounting for, and tracking, personnel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Extra dial-in and 1-2-1 sessions announced for Get the Ship in Shape: accounting for, and tracking, personnel competition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Russian carrier ship which ran aground off Cornwall is refloated MoD News 0
Rodgersthecabinboy Can anyone identify this ship. History 12
M Ship's Corporals History 1
MoD_RSS News story: The Royal Centre for Defence Medicine pays tribute to the wreck of His Majesty's Hospital Ship Glenart Castle MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: QEC ship-air certification MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Get the ship in shape innovation event MoD News 0
soleil Portsmouth News: "Portsmouth Survivors Of HMS Sheffield Back Bid To Name New Type 26 Frigate After Doomed Falkland Ship" The Fleet 35
MoD_RSS Press release: Royal Navy Ship HMS Albion to visit Indonesia 22-25 April 2018 MoD News 0
S HMS Cavalier ship badge History 3
soleil BAE: "How To Launch A Ship Without Making A Splash" The Fleet 6
soleil Strategy Page: "Female Tars: Women Aboard Ship in the Age of Sail - Suzanne J. Stark" The Book Club 3