search term too short

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by grippy_gecko, Apr 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello. Is there anything that can be done to allow searching for short words and abbreviations? Trying to search for CIS, or any other 3 letter word just fails. As many things I would search for have been knocked back for being too short (services love their abbreviations better than cell biologists it seems) and yet the thing to do is search. Is there something I can do, or anything the forum mods can do to allow shorter search terms?
  2. Put the initials in to google and end the search with 'Rum Ration'. You should find a list of relevant posts using that search engine.
  3. cool thanks. btw, your signature animation, where does the guy in the helmet go? Is he/she blown clear or is it a closed coffin job?
  4. He's slammed to the floor in the blast. The gigantic minge.
  5. The problem with short search terms is that they produce an exponentially increasing number of results. This kills the site speed so we place a length limit on search terms

Imagine the number of words that have 'cis' somewhere within them to get an idea of the problem. The suggestion to use google is by far the best one although a better method would be:

6. It would be nice if we could search for a word as a stand alone word only. If you are looking for the word "wood" for example, you don't want to know about woodchucks. If we could do an exact match only that would help.
  7. Our search engine is quite sophisticated and does deal with extended query syntax, meaning that you can do all sorts of complex searches. By default though searching for CHUCK should not give WOODCHUCKs.

I do think that we could reduce to three letters on RR, although perhaps not on ARRSE. I will give it a crack in the morning
  8. This has now been reduced to 3. A search for RAF will for example find Magic Mushroom by virtue of his being RAF Aircrew.

For more search joy use + and -. So try "actually spend" -navy and "actually spend" for a quick demo of what can be done.
  9. And just in case you haven't seen it, try Googling for do a barrel roll . If you're not on DII anyway.