Seamanship apprenticeship or Leading Hand Helicopter Controller?

I'm currently looking at both these roles but I'm confused at to how I'd get to leading hand helicopter controller or supply chain when they require significant time at sea and extra quals, of which I don't have, as I've never served at sea would I have to do the seamanship apprenticeship to get my foot in the door and then apply from their for the change in role or is that simply not doable?

The websites are limited on how I can do it. The roles that appeal to me always require extra quals which I can't get because I haven't been to sea because obviously I don't have those quals to go to sea! A bit of research suggests even being in the RN wouldn't get me there as it's different quals needed. Is the only other way to go through a private company to gain hours at sea and apply from there?

I'll be 28 when doing the interview process and have good GCSE's, A Levels and completed 2 years at uni which doesn't quite get me to Loggie Officer which is annoying.

I'd appreciate any response as online info is limited. Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not sure where you are coming from. You either join as an AB (rating) or Midshipman (Officer).

As long as you have the entry qualifications for the role, we teach you the rest as you progress up the rates/ranks and you earn the qualifications as part & parcel of the professional training we give.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
For aircraft controller, you need
  • Minimum qualification 2 GCSE's Grade A*-C in any subject. After 2017 Any grade above 4
For supply chain logistician you need no formal qualifications but must past the recruit test, as indeed you must for all RN jobs.

For Logistics Officer a degree isn't required but:
  • If you take your A-levels after the start of 2017, you need 72 UCAS points, including two non-overlapping subject areas; before 2017, you need 180 UCAS points
  • If you take your GCSEs after the start of 2017, you need 5 at grades 9 – 4, including English Language and Maths; before 2017,

Random

Lantern Swinger
Not sure where you are coming from. You either join as an AB (rating) or Midshipman (Officer).
I think hes referring to the RFA not the RN. But LH(HC)s and LH(SC)s are normally branch transfers (though some direct recruitment exists I think for the SC role) and so he would have to join as deck for the HC or any branch for the SC. Selection though is done competitively so there is no guarantee that you would be able to transfer.

I think hes referring to the RFA not the RN. But LH(HC)s and LH(SC)s are normally branch transfers (though some direct recruitment exists I think for the SC role) and so he would have to join as deck for the HC or any branch for the SC. Selection though is done competitively so there is no guarantee that you would be able to transfer.
Thanks that's the kind of info I needed. I've asked the recruitment number but I'm guessing they were just civvy office workers and didn't really know what it'd go on to. Think I'll organise a meeting at AFCO to shed some light. I'm really liking the idea of the RFA to my life around it and the sea time involved, HOWEVER I don't want to be stuck with no chance of promotion that's all. I'm looking at RN too but as yet undecided.

Random

Lantern Swinger
I don't want to be stuck with no chance of promotion that's all. I'm looking at RN too but as yet undecided.
RFA and RN are very different beasts career wise even if we often end up in the same places, do the same courses and drink in the same bars :)

Promotion in the RFA is often slower than the RN, and pay is generally lower. But most of us are happy with our package of more (and guaranteed) leave, possibilities of tax back and an environment run along the lines of civilian courtesy rather than military law.

However both are very good choices, but it's more the choice of chalk and cheese, they are not very comparable as career routes.

Out of interest what was your uni course of study? and have you asked if they would award a foundation degree for it (or with a little extra work). No matter what you choose to do, formal documentation of your education s always worth it.