Seamanship Apprentice

I have my Seaman Apprentice exam on the 17th October 2018. Can someone please tell me what to expect at the exam? It is from 9.30 till midday, why is that? Is there anything I need to take with me for the exam? Will I just be doing the exam or is there other test/interviews on the day? How long after my exam will I wait to find out if I have passed or not? If I pass what medical/interview will I have to go through? I live in Portsmouth, will I be sent to HMS Raleigh if I pass my exam? How long will the training be at HMS Raleigh? What training will I be doing there? Will I be staying in a dorm? Will my entire training be done at HMS Raleigh? or will I be sent to HMS Collingwood to complete my training? Where will I be based after training? Whale Island? I have a few other questions about my four months on board ship.

Hi,

Hopefully this will provide with information on the test you'll be sitting: -

Psychometric Recruit Test Preparation and Review

As for answers to the rest of your questions, I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge/understanding...

It is from 9.30 till midday, why is that? Because that's how long it takes to get you all registered and do all the exams.
Is there anything I need to take with me for the exam? Just as per the instructions sent with the invite.
How long after my exam will I wait to find out if I have passed or not? Typically within a day or two of having taken the exam. Had my results the day after.
If I pass what medical/interview will I have to go through? If passed, your application goes to the next stage and it'll be reviewed by an independent panel of assessors (sift) and if you pass that you'll be invited to an interview. Should you pass the interview then you'll need to pass the ENG1 Medical.
I live in Portsmouth, will I be sent to HMS Raleigh if I pass my exam? Training is at HMS Raleigh, so Yes.
What training will I be doing there? Basic seamanship skills towards passing the MNTB EDH along with additional RFA training, including RAS.
Will I be staying in a dorm? Yes.
Will my entire training be done at HMS Raleigh? No, initial training for 10 weeks at HMS Raleigh, then you'll join a ship for 4 months to continue your training before returning to HMS Raleigh to continue Phase 2 of your training. After completing Phase 2 you'll go back to sea for a further 4 months to hopefully complete your training.
Will I be sent to HMS Collingwood to complete my training? Only if you're joining as a Comms Apprentice.
Where will I be based after training? You won't be based from anywhere as you'll then be working the standard 4 on/3 off.

All of the above is from having searched this forum and having researched the role of a Seamanship Apprentice via the Royal Navy/Royal Fleet Auxiliary website.

I have a few other questions about my four months on board ship.
Those I can't answer, but I'm sure if you do a search in the forum you should be able to find answers to a majority of them. Failing that I'm sure someone currently serving will be able to answer them.

Good luck with the exam.

Thank you so much for the info. What does the Eng1 Medical entail? "Basic seamanship skills towards passing the MNTB EDH along with additional RFA training, including RAS." What does that entail?

You pay initially but the RFA refund the cost. They’ll also refund the cost of other tests and inoculations you may require.
With regards to the MCA training they’ll be loads out info on this out there and as an officer recruit, I haven’t done as much research into the seaman apprenticeship route.

I am hopefully prepared for my exam in two days time.

Daft question time... What does a Seaman Apprentice do? What is the role of Seaman grade 1?

Seadog

War Hero
I am hopefully prepared for my exam in two days time.

Daft question time... What does a Seaman Apprentice do?
Two days until your exam (RT?) and you don’t know anything about your chosen apprenticeship and aftermath?

I’m trying hard not to turn my contempt for you up to 11.

Two days until your exam (RT?) and you don’t know anything about your chosen apprenticeship and aftermath?

I’m trying hard not to turn my contempt for you up to 11.
I read the post yesterday and wasn't sure if serious :confused:

Surely you'd get an understanding of the role and as much information as possible before applying, but maybe that's just me.