seakings within the FAA

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by captainmatt, Nov 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi there, i went for a trip out in a seaking mk 4 at yeovilton with 848 the other day, granted their a great workhorse but the airframes and avionics look like theyve seen better days, can anyone tell me if they will replace them, if so with what and when?

cheers guys, matt

2. You were obviously Flying/ Yeager :thumright: Will get their lordships to send you down a MI-35 Hind for you to fly at VL :w00t: :thumright:

3. The Sea King IPT is looking at a Life Extension Programme (LEP) to keep the Work Horse in the air for the foreseeable future. The Avionics have gone through 2x upgrade packages in the last 10 years or so and will probably get upgraded again during the LEP phase. Don't expect 'glass cockpits' or any other gucci equipment though.

As we on 846 NAS have been saying for a few years, you can't polish a turd......

4. I remember back in the late eighties the SABR project looking at the replacement!!! However there is simply no money to buy new! The current 'plan' has the aircraft going until 2017, but you can bet this will be extended further. The idea is to replace the Puma and Sea King 4 at roughly the same time, but with what? There are several contenders, NH 90, Merlin Mk4, CH 47 among them, but as I've already stated these will cost money from a budget that has constantly been reduced and also raped to 'Fix to Field' the Chinook Mk 3s that didn't work.

So for now we continue to operate the aging Mk 4 fleet and will continue to do so for the next however many years.

5. I am at the moment designing the fitment of "glass cockpits" to one of our european neighbours hercs. It has spent 10 years scrapped in the desert and approx 40 years old.

Anything is possible

6. That's probably a project having money thrown at it. I don't imagine the Sea King LEP budget will stretch THAT far.