Sea Wolf on the Batch 3 42s...

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by Carronade, Jan 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not being Andrew, I'm completely in the dark about this, but I've heard (or read somewhere) that the batch 3s were "designed for but not fitted with" Sea Wolf.

Was that the VLS system or the six-pack? What did Dart offer that Wolf didn't?

Bit of a theoretical question, too.... How much of a arse would it be to refit the batch 3 with it today?

2. Is this an AIB question? Cos i aint got a clue?

3. IIRC there was a proposal to fit 2 x 4 missile lightweight SW launchers either side of the ships, midships, somewhere. The launcher was proposed to be a Seacat launcher conversion. Never happened due to cost & top weight, Got a single Phalanx behind the 4.5in gun instead.

4. Nope, Phalanx is mounted amidships…

[​IMG]

5. Ah the Edinburgh the only 42 with a garden wall

6. A lot longer range but slower reaction time and less capability against sea skimming missiles.

As to fitting it now ... it was never developed to a production level and not even sure if it was demonstrated as such.

7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

I'm not a WE so my answer is based on third hand stuff that I've picked up. I have been on 2 Batch 2 T22's that were decommissioned and both were much loved by the ships company. I questioned at the time why we couldn't be fitted with a 4.5 gun instead of the obsolete exocet fit to validate support to keep batch 2's. I thought it would be a doddle. Apparently not, a great deal of work and to quote the answer I was given at the time "costs almost as much as a whole new platform". As I said, I'm not a WE so don't know how true that was, but my answer was from a WE CMDR so should be reasonably accurate.

8. I think that the Edinburger did actually have a single phalanx system fitted in the early/mid 90's before they were dropped in amidships.

10. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

which was put there to try and protect the Phalanx - was done as a trial to see if they could get away with only 1 mounting - didn't work so they went back to the traditional mountings either side.

11. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't know about SW, but there was a trial with a RAM (Rolling Airframe Missile) launcher - on the YORK IIRC. Nothing came of it and I don't beleive they even did a firing.....

12. You now MoD! Trial the best systems in the world, then don't buy them.

[​IMG]

13. I think the RAM was attached to the Phalanx mount in place of the gun keeping the radar for guidance. There was talk of using Phalanx in Afghanistan ro protect Camp Bastion from Mortar rounds.

14. Seawolf would not have gone on a 42 because there would have been no space for the 910/911 Trackers, what with 909 Trackers in the way. And before you ask 909 would not work with the Seawolf missiles anyways.

15. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Incidentally, oil_slick where is the Edinburgh in that phot? I'm sure I've been there, but can't place it. Martinique maybe?

16. So they informed me when I previously asked when I was a baby matelot

17. Pitcture credit says: HMS Edinburgh at Mahon, Minorca, returning to UK after Orion 2008, 24 July 2008

18. It is basically an new missile tube pack on the existing Phalanx mounting.

The system you refer to is C-RAM. Used in Iraq and AStan to stop the incoming ironmongery.

[​IMG]

Pretty fvcking trippy video footage…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqTyafBaDYM&feature=related

19. Carronade

Sea Dart is a medium range surface to air missile with a surface to surface capability. It was designed as an area defence weapon. Fitted to HMS Bristol (type 82) (now not operational), the invincable class carriers (later removed) and the various batches of type 42's

Sea Wolf is a short range missile system designed to protect the the firing ship. Fitted originally to some Leader Class Frigates, Type 22 and Type 23 Frigates

As a previous post stated, you need a type 910 tracker to work with Seawolf, not the 909 tracker that works with Seadart.

Hope that helps

(ex seadartist - HMS Bristol and HMS Sheffield)

20. The demonstrated ability to reach out to an aircraft thirty-plus miles away and blow it to bits? Wolf is very good at what it does, but it's a point-defence system with very little reach.