Sea Vixen XP924 Wheels Up, 27 May 17

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
BZ to the pilot.

They say in the Air Force a landing's okay
If the pilot gets out and can still walk away......

But if XP924 continues in this way, perhaps The Heritage Trust might consider amending the airframe in the same way that the Sea Vampire was used to trial landing with no undercarriage on a carrier's rubber deck..............

Saw the photos of it up on jacks and it appears the external tanks took most of the damage, there is a substantial amount of work required underneath, looks like a number of frames will need replacing, replacing external skin is a pretty standards job and wont take much.

It all depends on what NDT find on the airframe and if any of the parts made from Unatainium are damaged.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Saw the photos of it up on jacks and it appears the external tanks took most of the damage, there is a substantial amount of work required underneath, looks like a number of frames will need replacing, replacing external skin is a pretty standards job and wont take much.

It all depends on what NDT find on the airframe and if any of the parts made from Unatainium are damaged.
Yep. Like I said.

"OK @Pontius, ignore the smell of paint. Flash it up, take it for a spin. Any snags, let me know" :)

Had a great day at Shuttleworth on Sunday, we took the RNA Gazebo and collected on behalf of the Navy Wings Charity, what a great day it was. We raised an amazing £550 (probably enough buy a new seat cover for the vixen) and met Dragons Den "Nick Jenkins", I saw him but wasn't sure so I phoned my sister (who was the Executive producer) and she text him, he popped out of the VIP tent and had a chat with us all and donated £40.

If you don't like the big air shows I recommended Shuttleworth, a great place to visit.

http://www.shuttleworth.org/

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Seaweed History 0
Handler The Fleet Air Arm 1
scouse The Fleet Air Arm 23