Sea Vixen Crash - 20 Jan 1960

stickybomb

Midshipman
'Scuse me for popping over from Arrse (I've had a shower, wiped my boots and I promise not to touch the ornaments), but I need to seek the wisdom of the ancient ones here on RR.

On Wednesday 20 Jan 1960, a Sea Vixen from 766 Sqn (HMS Heron) flown by Lts Kemsley and Munday crashed at Tockenham, Wiltshire killing both men.

I notice from some of the posts on here that there are members who served at HMS Heron in the late fifties/early sixties so I wondered if anyone remembers anything about the crash or the aircrew involved. I know its a long shot because Vixen accidents weren't exactly rare but I thought it worth a try.

All help, relevant anecdotes etc muchly appreciated.
Yours ever,
Sticky
 

Bergen

ADC
A crash in 1960.... fcek me most of the old and bold matelots on here would be too old to remember something so recent.

There may be a WAFU sprog along dreckly to prove me wrong.

Bye the bye Perce.... welcome to RR - and we will be counting the silverware after you have left.

RM
 

soleil

War Hero
LtKemsleyGrave.jpg
 

stickybomb

Midshipman
soleil said:

Soleil, I found that one too. He was my uncle.

Scouse, thanks, I'll drop him a line.

Bergen—as the old saying goes 'The more he spoke of his honour, the faster we counted the silver'—anyway, it was all el cheapo EPNS crap...so I put it back. :wink:
 

Bergen

ADC
stickybomb said:
soleil said:

Soleil, I found that one too. He was my uncle.

Scouse, thanks, I'll drop him a line.

Bergen—as the old saying goes 'The more he spoke of his honour, the faster we counted the silver'—anyway, it was all el cheapo EPNS crap...so I put it back. :wink:

:thumbleft: Don't be a stranger Sticky..... visit us anytime.
 

soleil

War Hero
Sticky

I'm sorry to read that he was your Uncle - I didn't realise this.

I have some sources which I can occasionally draw on for this kind of question and will endeavour to do what I can for you.
 

stickybomb

Midshipman
soleil said:
Sticky

I'm sorry to read that he was your Uncle - I didn't realise this.

I have some sources which I can occasionally draw on for this kind of question and will endeavour to do what I can for you.

Oh, no dramas Soleil, it was fifty years ago so one has to keep a sense of perspective about these things.

If FAA boards of enquiry were anything like the RAF's at the time, I'm half expecting to find that 'pilot error' was the verdict.

Grateful for any info you can find.
Sticky
 

2_deck_dash

War Hero
Welcome to RR Sticky,

Feel free to peruse the boards, our small brethren of pongos is growing daily! Sorry to hear about your uncle, interesting story though.

Just out of interest, does anyone know why the grave stone is a slightly different shape to the usual ones you see?

It has indentations in the top two corners which I have never seen before. Is this because the incident happened during peacetime?

I'm genuinely interested.

Here is the more common type for comparison:
known-unto-god.jpg
 

stickybomb

Midshipman
Thanks 2_d_d, your suspicion is correct. The CWCG policy is for servicemen whose cause of death originated outside periods of conflict to be given headstones with incised corners.
Note the careful wording. It is possible to find headstones in this style with dates of death which tally with wartime. This usually means that they died of a disease contracted in peacetime. There's one in the Calais CWGC cemetery.
 

2_deck_dash

War Hero
stickybomb said:
Thanks 2_d_d, your suspicion is correct. The CWCG policy is for servicemen whose cause of death originated outside periods of conflict to be given headstones with incised corners.
Note the careful wording. It is possible to find headstones in this style with dates of death which tally with wartime. This usually means that they died of a disease contracted in peacetime. There's one in the Calais CWGC cemetery.

Every day is a school day.

Thanks for the info!
 

Bergen

ADC
Off-track I know but I listened to Darth Cheney, [5 Vietnam deferments, excused boots and never heard a shot fired in anger until he shot his hunting partner in the face] give a speech at the Rethuglican convention in 2000.

He painted a tear-jerking and emotional picture of how he used to look down from his helicopter on the rows of white marble crosses in Arlington National Cemetery.

The Elmers loved it; but I had been in Arlington a few months before and there ain't a cross in sight. In fact there ain't a cross in the entire cemetery.

RM
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top