Sea-to-shore ratio

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by killikgolly, Jul 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was over in Fleet HQ the other day and was amazed by the amount of gold that was knocking about. It got me wondering what the sea-to-shore time is for officers and for us mere mortals below decks.
    There seemed to be an awful lot of 3 ring and 4 ring desk jockies and from my last draft I know several officers who had spent no time at sea (apart from ther training).

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Don't forget that the role of the higher echelons of the Officer Corps is as much about management of the RN as it is about sea going. Just because they're not at sea doesnt mean they don't do critical roles.

For the record, according to manning statistics the RN has more CPO's than Cdrs, Capts, Cdres, Admirals combined.

3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

but what about Lt Cdrs? Where is Norm when you need him?

4. MESM do an AMEO job, then DMEO, then MEO. Possibly back-to-back DMEO/MEO. I think all engineers are going to the 3 sea job approach, to grow sea skills.

5. In my day, when is was a PO, it was 2 1/2 yrs sea to about 7 shore!

Plenty of time to get my handicap down.

6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Better, I think, than the asinine system we used to have in the 60s where we had four-ring Captains commanding frigates in a 'Squadron' role, when the 'squadron' hardly ever met together - usually as much as could be contrived was to get one ship near enough for the 'leader' to do an inspection once a year. Captain F then had a staff - G, TAS, N, C, ME, WE all effectively doing jobs one rank below their qualification in what was in almost all respects a private ship, occasionally signing off confidential reports on officers in other ships that they did not know from soap. The boredom level was unbelievable.