Sea Sickness

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Buccaneer, Jun 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here's a thing that should provoke a lot of conversation, how many people do you know that Have said I have NEVER been Sea Sick to which I ask how long have you been going to sea.

I recall being sea sick three time all three when I was a Sea Cadet - the first I went to sea in the old HMS Grafton if I remember correctly a type 12 frigate with a single screw (could be wrong though - its a long time ago) I remember being sick over the side a what looked to me to be a huge man - turned out to be the Chief Buffer gave me sippers of his tot - I was on cloud nine for the rest of the voyage, but have never liked rum since.

The second time was aboard TS Royalist going from the then HMS Lochinvar (about 1971 if I remember correctly) to Stavangar - was I ill - I was bringing up blood and eventually passed out from fatigue.

The last time was aboard TS Aztec Lady sailing from Bermuda to Quebec in a Tall Ships Race - the first night we had 50 knots of wind across the deck and a sailing ship called the Marques sunk if a sad loss of life.

All three time I remember wishing I was dead.

Anyone want to tell their tales of misery ?

2. No. :sleepy1:

3. Why didnt you join the Army Cadets?

4. Have never been sea sick....sick of the sea, but never sea sick!! But then being a "pinkie" spent most of my time in me bunk as a few on here will agree with no doubt!! :thumright: :thumright:

5. There is a whole thread on this somewhere.[​IMG]

6. I have been hungover AND sea sick at the same time on the Eskimo when we were at Portland in 73/74 time. We had been ahore on Saturday, come back pissed expecting to be sailing on Monday morning. The weather got too bad to stay alongside in Portland so we sailed early. Never again ! I did get pissed again and seasick but never at the same time - ever again !

7. Only one cure for seasickness and that's to sit under a tree
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

8. I was too scared in a rough sea on my avatar to be sick.
    A stock of new underpants yes, buckets full of puke no!
    20 degree rolls INSIDE the breakwater at Guzz were something of an eye opener.
    Anyway Nelson, according to rumour, was plagued by sea sickness.
    What is the old saying? 'If it was good enough for...etc etc

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Horsea Island in a 25 man life raft being towed behind a Gemini on a sea-survival course was the last time I mustered by stomach on the oggin; its not necessarily that I am susceptible to a spot of roughers, it was probably more to do with being out on the piss in Southsea until 0330, getting back to my pit at around 0430 and turning to at the Survival School at 0830 still pissed from the night before! Never again :)

10. Did my ' first ' sea time on HMS Protector in '52 . Rough old day in the ' Channel ' out of Plymouth . I was the last man standing after a guided tour from the boiler room to the stern gland without a big spit . The crew was very helpful for lunch with 'oggies and hot soup . My best big spit experience though was when I relieved a bloke in the after ends of a T boat . He hopped into his ' hot ' bunk and had a little spit into my cup as I was making Kye ? . Anyway , a quick rinse of the cup and recharge to make the magic brew . Still cant believe I did it without mustering my bag.

11. Ok shippers, here's one. I never got sea sick and yes, I did 18 years at sea, not ashore, at sea.

However, I must admit that I got really sick of the sea.

Now, does that make you feel better?

Actually, that rings a bell for a sea dit.

I took a UC basic course to sea for a fortnights sea training in the 70's. We went out on the Aurora to do some pinging. The weather was foul throughout and no one was comfortable, regardless of their hardy temperament.

There was this youngster who would throw up when he looked at water, let alone when he went to sea, but as far as I was concerned he was a budding matelot because he used to lug around his personal spew bucket and it went where ever he did.

He would throw up in it on the bridge wing as lookout, or down below in the SCR, but to him, the RN was a career he was going to cope with. Nevertheless, during the final stages of the fortnights sea training he found himself bucketless and oh deary me.

There came a point when no one could put up with the stink of a full bucket of puke in a hot, confined electronic environment (SCR), and so, some kindly rating took away his bucket to ditch the content down the forard heads.

In the meantime, his guts churned, he stood up, turned to the right and threw up into the bottom drawer of cabinet 24 (the timer unit). I never saw a SONAR set give up the ghost so quickly.

The resultant repair spell gave most blokes in the ships company little time to recuperate during some awful weather off Portland. However, the SONAR maintainer was beside himself trying to pick out bits of puke and putting his kit back together to get things up and running again.

Now he was a real sailor, never threw up once during the whole operation.

The following day Aurora was back into the thick of it and would you believe it, a sailors prayer came true. The submarine, Olympus, managed to fcuk up and collide with a merchant ship.

She went into umpteen months of refit and we all went back to VERNON a happy bunch of sailors. You see, it added an extra day to our weekend leave. :thumright:

Sea dit complete.

12. HMS Ulster 1967 lost all the lifeboats never been so ill in all my life. Plenty of the old loo roll needed. :tp: :tp:

13. Never actually "mustered me kit", but always felt as rough as a badgers bollick in roughers, but only between decks mind you.

RoofRat

14. Have also never been sea sick in 14 years at sea (not shore). I remember being at sea during the storms of October 87 on the Jupiter doing a BOST, the night of the storms was a very frightening encounter!!

We had an RS on the Hermione who suffered very badly with sea sickness, he evening had it in his Docs that he shouldn't serve on anything smaller than a flat top, good ole drafty stuck him on a Leander!!

15. I recall doing a five-finger-spread on the bridge of the Sheffield during one memorable middle watch. That was bad enough (couldn't get to the wings in time). To add embarrassment to injury, I then got piped to the bridge in the afternoon watch to clean the deckheads of remnants...not nice...

16. Worst I ever felt was coming back from the Falklands in the frwd survey hold of the Hecla - force 10 and I yacked for 3 days solid!

17. I was seasick for about 3 days on my first ship, Jupiter 77, and then that was it.
    I did have a queasy time on the RFA Sir Percival o nthe way back from the Falklands. But was because some twat put the sickbay at the top of a flat bottomed boat in the south atlantic.

18. HMS Cardiff, 1980. We were crossing the Atlantic for my first ever deployment, the weather was awful, I was sick for about 3 days and wished I were dead, I've never felt so bad.
    I did get over it, although in roughers I still felt slightly off colour but always managed to keep my scran inside from thereon in.

19. Served on the last Spey as a weekend recreationalist and untill the last trip was blighted by seasickness. :pukel: The cure? One Friday Evening before sailing for the Channel (my last trip thanks to "options") the MEO (Ex RN Stoker) Fired 3 double rums into me, I dont know why to this day but I didn't suffer for the whole 2 weeks. (Being a Greenie and therefore never out of my cot may have helped) :thumright:

20. I really cannot remember being sea sick back in my Pusser days but I am sure I was on at least a couple of occassions. Now last week 20.8.08 on the 10.30 am Speedferries seacat, Dover to Boulogne, Ileft the open rear deck to sit with my wife inside on airline style seats facing forward. Within 5 minutes was feeling queasy and returned to the rear deck, very windy area where in about 5 minutes all was back to normal.

It was very windy but not excessivly rough and few if any others seemed to suffer. Had a very rough crossing at Christmas on SeaFrance ferry, sat inside no problems.

Must be an age thing.

Nutty