Sea Sickness dits

'Sweepers(Chawton) Fish Protect,, never did a 'Liquid Laugh' 1973, would roll on a wet deck cloth, pot mess most days at sea in winter, steaks, roasts and arctic rolls for duff alongside in summer.Slung my 'mick in the old Ark in '64, best nights kip ever.Never did a "Liquid Laugh" on sweepers, came close a couple of times though.Rough as guts in the Channel in a force 8+, couldn't alter into Pompey or we'd have rolled over, kept on going until the coast of Welsh Wales when we could drop the pick in shelter.Dan buoy sinkers came adrift down the 'sweep deck in roughers that day, Jimmy asked the buffer(LSea Watney Mann) and I if we'd volunteer to secure 'em, negotiated price of a bottle of wardroom scotch between us to do so and secured 'em after many attempts.Soaking through, but slept like a baby that night after a (Bouncing around shower)-LOL

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
On the Bulldog in the 90s - another round of budget cuts and they were looking at the droggy navy - suddenly we were classified as a 'hostilities minesweeper'

Our main sonar was towed, so to find the mines we had to go over them in our 100% steel ship to find with our sonar - how we laughed............not

Anyway they decided we should take part in minesweeping exercise with the Scandavian navies and had to go to Stavanger in a force 8 - we were not supposed to go out above a force 6 as we had an inflatable rubber sonar dome underneath - but they insisted we went or questions would be asked about our minesweeping capabilities in the corridors of power - off we goes with everything battened down including us

In the SRs mess we sat on the floor and tied ourselves to anything available (we didn't have roll bars on our bunks or anything as we were supposed to avoid roughers) got the rum and lucozade out (drink of the time - one made you bad the other made you better) and off we set

Didn't make Stavangar until 2 days after the proper sweepers - had to go into Hartlepool I think as the ship was just getting trashed (most of upperdeck fittings gone) and the lads just couldn't handle it as the ship was just not designed with any safety features that warships had, including stabilisers

All to prove a point.........................................

Jacobus

Lantern Swinger
True dit. ‘81 I think.
Exercise Ocean Venture. From memory just off the Iceland Faeroes Gap, and as we were in an Ikara Leander (ie about as much use as tits on a bull ) and we’d fired off our one trial Mk 46/( 44 ? - can’t remember, either way it splashed in short, took all the paint of the zareeba, and thus pissed the buffer and his party off no end) Ocean Ventured and nothing much gained. As it was too rough to fly got lurked for lots of watch keeping.
After several days of an ever increasing stench on the bridge the Jimmy gets increasingly OCD ( admittedly from a pretty low baseline on the mental health front) and has the RO(T)’s and most of the gollies, and duty part, ripping the bridge apart to find the source.
Eventually traced to one of the spare echo sounder stowage tubes ( from memory they were cardboard and light sealed as the paper was heat sensitive). Some kind soul had puked up in one, then had the presence of mind to reseal it correctly and put it back in the storage. Brilliant. Jack at his best.
Queue witch hunt with the Jimmy conducting ever more desperate one on one interviews. Never did catch the culprit. My money was on the buffer. Morale; in every department apart from the Executive, increased by 200%.

I haven't followed the thread, but just thought I'd throw in my two penn'orth in case no one has covered it. Best cure for seasickness - guaranteed to work every time?
Sit under a tree.

Dusty70

Lantern Swinger
Does anyone remember Black Daff's in Gillingham (The Monarch if you are posh) they sold some really, really gut wrenching cloudy scrumpy

Daughter in Law lives down there so went looking - all boarded up and I never remembered it being in the middle of 2 rows of terraced houses - the noise must have really pi**ed those people off (unless they were in there obviously !!)

I remember the Monarch (I is posh Inuit), also the Army and Navy not far from the Pembroke gate, which sold some evil stuff, mainly on blank weeks.

I joined an S boat in dock there in 1977.

I could get seasick on a mirror after a couple of weeks alongside, but a few hours later right as rain, and would not suffer again until the next time along side for more than said couple of weeks.

So anyone that know's me in person will know I am definitely not the guy you want working in your SA dept on a t42. A 9 month trip down the falklands and I spent 5/7 days in bed with chronic sea sickness, the other 2 days we were alongside! On bigger ships it resided of course, but now and then the sea would take her toil on me and I'd be blowing chunks in the middle of a 2 deck dash after being caught unaware! Luckily so far I have not been ill in my current posting, though I have felt nausia a couple of times here and there, it's not been anything to write home about.
My worse / best case of sea sicknees though was in Brazil, after a week of sun and calm waters learning to scuba dive in Sao Paulo, we finally got onto a boat and headed for a dive spot, only for it to be rough as hell and my blowing chunks underwater- still, all the fish came to me to eat what were the former contents of my stomach!

Knotty

Lantern Swinger
Does anyone remember Black Daff's in Gillingham (The Monarch if you are posh) they sold some really, really gut wrenching cloudy scrumpy

Daughter in Law lives down there so went looking - all boarded up and I never remembered it being in the middle of 2 rows of terraced houses - the noise must have really pi**ed those people off (unless they were in there obviously !!)
Yes I joined Pembroke for accommodation while we brought a ship out of refit & my sea Daddy introduced me to the delights of Black Daff's and it's scrumpy. Unfortunately he insisted on rum and black chasers and I was in such a state and under age that I needed to climb over the wall surrounding the dockyard (on the Gillingham road), I woke with my sheets a shade of red moaning that I was bleeding from some sort of wound!!
Don't think I visited the Monarch more than once from memory..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
skyvet Blue Jokes 0
N Blue Jokes 1
B The Quarterdeck 48