Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sea Sickness dits

Took an Pongo Detatchment from Port Stanley to Grytviken South Georgia in '83 on the Nottingham.

They were all moaning about being stuck in South Georgia for 3 months. Hit a really sporty South Atlantic storm in transit, the worst one I have ever been in, lost all sorts of upper deck gear, the quarterdeck was stripped of virtually everything, even the ladder up to the flightdeck!

Hit one wave that heeeled us over really badly, the Port Olympus engine had a partial overspeed and all the MCR watch ended up in HQ1, clambering back up the slope to get back to the controls and accept all the alarms!!
Pongos barfing all over the place, wandering round with buckets :? it was amazing to see how keen they were to get ashore when we arrived, a few of them even kissed the ground!!

Lost the Stbd Stabiliser on the Dumbarton Castle halfway to South Georgia. I have never felt motion like it, everyone barfed - in particular the pongos!!
Trouble was, you just got used to it, but the motion reversed itself on the way back to Mare Harbour, double the agony!!

By the way, I defy anyone who says they don't get seasick, you just haven't hit a wave big enough yet.....

23 years carrying the bucket!

First draft to Sandpiper (Bird Class PB) running out of Dartmouth. Running into a bit of a swell. I'm stood getting some wheel time in ( I was a baby bunting...why?), senior AB wedged in a corner keeping an eye on me. Commenced spewing into the bucket, Bucket moves with ship movement. I follow and end up on my knees holding onto the wheel with head in bucket. AB p*sing himself falls off stool and gets stuck behind locker or stowage of some sort unable to grab wheel. Ship now commencing turn to stbd with 20 deg of wheel. OOW decidedly unhappy with us. I get the scudding!

Second ship, the Nottingham. Voice op in Ops room Thursday war at jolly old Portland. CY thinks I'm swinging the lead over my spewing. valiantly keep my watchkeepers breakfast down until somebody nicks my Gash bag ( not secured for action properly) and throws up in it. Dry heaves commence and CY decides that I need to be a distance from him, where he don't care, just not near him. Throw open the door to ops room into Stbd flat look into eyes of waiting staff and throw into my nosebag. Staff receive slight splattering of liquid but chunks held in. Long first was spent scrubbing that flat anyhow so it got cleaned!

LRO(T) on the Ark, on watch on the bridge leaving some Norwegian fjord. As we pass from the lee of land some Noggie sludgmariner decides to pop green grenades everywhere at the Amphib formation. Violent TCM's followed by Violent spewing by on watch LRO(T). A carrier for pitys sake! I really should have been a pongo.

After my promotion to Civvy went for a fine summer sunday trip out onto Spitbank fort off Pompey for the Sunday lunch that is done out there (very nice would recommend it). Lovely early summers day and a not small grockle boat taking us out. Wife, kids and in laws in attendance. As soon as we pass round tower my in laws notice the colour draining from me. Managed to hold onto breakfast through a combination of pride and refusing to open my mouth. Sea state was a little less than flat calm.

Remind me again why I did 23 years in a job where knowing the quickest route to the upperdeck/heads or a cleaning gear stowage was an important factor in my life. Still I did develop an ability to tell which way the wind was blowing before I selected the bridge door to throw open!!!!

Good times :roll: :lol:

I remember when I was in the Kiwi Reserves a couple of years ago. We would take the little IPC's in and out of Wellington Harbour even when the cross channel ferries refused to run because of the sea state

We had this new wren OD on board who was going greener and greener.. so we decided to give her a helping hand and opened up the very large (and smelly!) jar of pickled onions and proceeded to pass them around the guys. Needless to say, she never kept anything down that day.. or the next ;)

I was just finishing my morning watch preparing to do my turnover to my oppo, when i noticed the sea starting to get more and more roughers.

As each goffer hit the bridge window my stomach started to do the usual belly flop that you get just before all hell breaks loose until i just could NOT hold it in a second longer.

Spent the next 15 min ralffing up in the toilet, blowing chunks all over.

Went back out onto the bridge to do my turnover to my oppo for some jumped up tw8t to say are you aware that the toilet suction is not working and your contents is still left in the toilet on display.

I took one look at her, said "yeah whatever" and got straight into my pit. In it to win it!!!!!!

Was in defence watches, so not only am i tried and crabby all what i want is my pit.

On a t22, corkscrewing for hours up on end. Everyone doing the usual, jumping up in the air as the ship takes a dive from a wave to see who can bang their head the first on the deck head!!!!! Whilst hearing the creaking of the ship due to the sea state.

Well anyway, i could just feel it bubbling away in my stomach, i knew it was going to come up, and low and behold it did, i ran straight over to the gash bag and sat in the corner of the mco for over an hour spewing into it. It got to the point where my stomach hurt so much as there was just nothing else to bring up.

In the end the killick sent me back to my mess to go to bed, but not via the POMA for a stab in my botty to stop me from blowing chunks.

However, on the way back to my mess i had this gash bag full of spew i had to somehow dispose of, tried blagging it and dumping it in the gash compactor as i just needed my bed so badly by now!!! Nope they wouldnt have it.......it was also pitch black outside and roughers so no one was allowed out onto the quarter deck.
I could have stood there in the flat screaming and pulling my hair out when some nice stoker (cant remember who he was) came up to me and just grabbed the bag as if he already knew what was in it, threw it overboard from the quarter deck and let me get some much deserved peeps!!!!

Not on a ship but...PADI trainer told me I could throw up through my regulator if need be, which I didn't actually believe. On 21st dive (with raging hangover), ascended and descended in surf that was so choppy wished I had brought a surfboard!! Anyway soon found out that yes indeed I could throw up through a regulator and as a bonus the fish love it!! :)

aussiepint said:
Not on a ship but...PADI trainer told me I could throw up through my regulator if need be, which I didn't actually believe. On 21st dive (with raging hangover), ascended and descended in surf that was so choppy wished I had brought a surfboard!! Anyway soon found out that yes indeed I could throw up through a regulator and as a bonus the fish love it!! :)

Commonly known as a Rainbow Fish (as apposed to poohing yourself underwater, which is a Brown Trout!) :lol:

sgtpepperband said:
aussiepint said:

Commonly known as a Rainbow Fish (as apposed to poohing yourself underwater, which is a Brown Trout!) :lol:

Thanks Sgt Peps! Who knew that something so gross could have something as nice as Rainbow Fish named after it. xx

Golden rule..
Be as sick as you like but clean the damn stuff up!
Dingley class inshore minehunter doing 20 degree rolls inside the breakwater at Plymouth.
It got even worse when we stopped to put down a couple of lobster pots somewhere off Start point.
Oh and I was on the Ashanti when it got hit by two huge waves off Bermuda; sadly killing two of the crew. The trip back to the UK took three weeks in the biggest seas I've ever seen.
We were all wobbling about like drunks when we got ashore.

Latest Threads