Sea Sickness dits

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by clanky, Feb 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Everybody gets sea sick at some time or another. When you've got it, you just want to curl up and die. When somone else has got it, its time to start demonstrating that the only place to find sympathy is in the dictionary is between shit and syphallis.

It was once the practice for ships on deployment to the Falklands to send members of the ships company on X-pols with other units in theatre. The term X-pol relates to the cross pollination of ideas between the 2 units. In reality, it was an oppertunity to get off the watchbill for a couple of days, and to drink heavily in a different enviroment.
    For my X-pol, I went to the RE detachment at MPA. The RE unit had an attached squadron(?) of Ghurka engineers, and it was to be some of these guys who would spend a week or so onboard.

2. The rag tag mix of 8s/combats and foullies that where the navy's version of cold weather clothing did'nt go down too well with the Sgt Major, so we where excused attendance at the demi formal morning parades. We where accomodated in 2 man cabins in the deathstar, which was a definate improvement from the noise and crowding of the stokers mess. We went on the lash the first night and my cabin mate decided to swamp. The stream of urine washed straight through the paper thin pusser's mattress, creating a flowing champagne effect over his boots that had been thoughtlessly kicked under the bed.

3. Well Clanky.

As I am the original hairy arsed 3 badge submariner ruffy tuffy stoker, I of course have never been seasick in my life,

Mind you it is orrible, work is out of the question, you can`t think straight, eat or even walk and all you want to do is sleep.

Er.. so I`m told

ps the recommended cure, is to sit under a tree.

4. As i am about to depart on her madges finest next sunday i can tell you all how it goes in a couple of weeks time.

I'm getting to old for this!

5. HMS Boxer 1996/7, the ship was doing someone a favour and giving a lift to members of a West Indian Coastguard or Police force unit, anyway.....short story, it was a bit bumpy, one of them, poor lad came up the ladder from 3Hz at supper time and got a good whiff of that nights scran.........blew chunks all over the flat !... made the queue go down a bit though !

6. To get back to my dit
    During our week working ashore with the engineers we all formed a healthy respect for the toughness and reslience of the ghurkas. They would cheerfully turn to in the sort of foul weather that had the rest of us looking for cover. We thought we where acclimatised to the cold winds from RASsing etc, but these guys took the biscuit. Another plus to working with them was beng allowed to use thier curry counter in scran.
    We rejoined the ship as confirmed afficionados of the RE in general and the ghurkas in particular. On going back down the mess we discovered that the ghurkas who had been onboard had been quiet and subdued, but not sea-sick.
    Impressed, I went to get into my pit only to discover that the guy who had been using my rack had been hiding his sickness by vomming into my pillowcase. He had used the actual pillow itself to soak up the gravy, and allowed the chunks to settle in the bottom of the pillowcase. Suffice to say that evening my bedding went down the engine room for a good boil, while my pillow failed a float test.

7. I knew a guy who is now an RPO who got seasick walking over damp grass. Useless ****** in his source branch, apparently has a nice queue of people waiting for when he gets outside to introduce him to the Babe Ruth method of twatting something with a baseball bat.

No names no pack drill, but he has a "Para" service number tat on his shoulder from his pre-P Coy failure.....!

8. While serving on LST Dieppe in the Med mid '50's we took onboard a mob of Turkish troops. Before sailing they brought a herd of goats onto the jetty which they proceeded to butcher for the trip. As anyone who has been aboard an LST know that they even roll when tied up in a dry dock, so it was no suprise that the Turks were having Tecnicolour yawns before we left the jetty. Anyway once at sea their cook was knocking up a nice looking Goat goulash which some of the crew thought worth tasting until one of us saw the cook up-chuck straight into it. Just kept stirring. Case of what you don't see you don't know.

On the same trip, the Lt in charge of the American Marine attachment to the Turks, complained to our Jimmy that they would have to stop the exeercise as half his lads had gone down with colds. you can imagine just how much sympathy they got when this got back to the messdeck.

"Ah poor baby has you got a cold in the nose and want your Mummy" Big Brave Septics

9. Uncle Albert,

Your description of seasickness (as you understand it) sounds similar to homesickness on board a windswept stone frigate, especially the bit about wanting to stay in your warm bunk, presumably dreaming about mum and home... and wondering if you will ever need to shave. :wink:

10. Apparently there are two stages to seasickness:

1. Wishing you could die.

2. Realising you won't!

11. Sea Training on the Venus 1961, Force 9 in the channel and out of a class of 23 only two of us were not sea sick. All the rest although up and about were dying all over the place, me and the other lad forgotten his name now were sat on the quarterdeck eating a tray of figgy duff, anyone coming near soon had his head over the side.

12. My first time on a RAS was my worst, it never happened. The sea was that rough that we could see the tankers, RFA's etc turning at the break water and going back in. Upper deck was made out of bounds and we were lit. Walking on the bulkheads. I was down by the Naafi as it was near enough mid-ship, sitting down and wishing the world would stop spinning. Within minutes, 5 other people joined me! Later we found out we were in a force 8 and I swear I have never looked as green as I did that day!

13. When I was a skimmer, and a lowly WEM(R), I had the task of climbing up the bearing head on a batch 2 22 to sort out an interlock problem on the bearing head amps. Being on a towed array patrol at the time, it was blowing a hoooolie and I thought I was going to die (first big ruffers and all that). I took a bucket all the way up with me, just incase and lets say I missed at the top and spent the next hour cleaning the ladder and the compartments all the way down!

After that I was OK and decided to do a bit of flat jumping in the canteen flat to cheer myself up!

14. I never did a five finger spread at sea in a roughers -----it was always just after leaving harbour and the engine /ship vibrations on your legs and the swell as you left putting your stomach in yer gob.

Worst thing they ever did was to give us all bunks --in my Destroyer days in roughers we had hammocks ----at turn in time thats when we ate - laying in the hammock.

The broadside messing they used to have the plates on messcloths on the tables so they wouldn't slide off. The cook that day collected the food trays from the galley and put them on the table ready to dish out onto the plates anyway was doing that in a gale one day-- boat gave a lurch the plates slid off the table the veg and the meat trays followed them----what a fcukin mess spuds rollin round the deck gravy bits of plate .The trays emptied everywhere .
    The galley gave up after then and just made up sandwiches for the next 18 hours. Good job cos we had no plates cups or knives and forks!!

The rum still got issued -with difficulty not many drinking it though!!

Hms Delight Med 1959 ----the real navy!

15. My first real sea passage was as a Junior Stoker in the RNR on a Ton Class minesweeper from Bristol to Gib. All very grand the 10th minesweeping Squadron with ACR flying his flag in Belfast.

Our tub had a dodgy stern gland and we had a fire hose playing on it to keep it cool, no one was going to miss the trip to Gib. Every 15 minutes the junior stoker of the engine room watch had to go down the aft fuel space to check the stern tube temperature, which was OK in calm weather, but as you would expect we had a bit of a blow crossing the Bay. Each watch was a steady routine of eat a ships biscuit, go down the aft fuel space, get back on deck, chuck up over the leeward side (I learnt that pretty fast) back down the control room fill in the log, eat a ships biscuit and start again. Perhaps I was over sensitive as some kind bastard gave me my first half tot earlier in the day.

Peter

16. These people are guarenteed to get seasick,

Pongo's
    Booties,
    Crabfats,
    IST
    YO's
    New joiners
    MA's,and MO's
    Plus any number of people on Families day immediatly after leaving the wall.

17. The only time I have ever felt ;disctinctly average' and had to go topside for a breath of fresh air was on the old Vomet Comets out of BRNC (Sandpiper and Petrel). They were ex-RAF launches and earlier in their lives had a 40mm on the back end to stop the stern swinging around. To save manpower these were taken off at BRNC, and the result was a 'lively' sea boat. Must have been some of the last vessles in the RN to have a seperate wheelhouse too.

I dreaded going to sea after that, but soon learned the delights of Stugeron. Once we got to Sea State 6 going on 7 I'd pop a couple, so that once we got to Sea State 8 I was nice and dosed up. You still felt queesy, but at least you could work, even in those kind of seas in the Irish Sea or Bay of Biscay which invovled bouncing off the bulkheads to get on watch. Bay of Biscay was in a CVF no less - mirror calm crossing of the Atlantic and back in Oct, Noc time, into Gib - then hot the Bay on the way back to Pompey. There were guys on a CVF that were having to get injections to stop them throwing up after leaving the harbour wall.

Never saw anything above a Sea State 8, fortuately I think. The guys would talk of all non-essential personnel being strapped in to their bunks, weapons systems dissapearing over the side etc. Not sure how I'd have coped with that!

18. Best description I've heard of lumpy weather and the effect it has on the ship was the C.O. of a SRMH southbound through the Irish Sea on the way back to Pompey...he said 'its bobbing about like a cork in a flushing toilet'.

20. Lost most of the QDeck on the Newcastle going across the pond. Took out the ladder, towed decoy, ripped off the pressure valve on the QDeck locker (the only place to smoke on the ship which turned into a freesurface...), bent guardrails, the lot. Got really slapped around. Worst part of that was going to the khazi. The "up" part of the wave was fine, but the "down" part was bad - until you learnt to stand up from the pan, otherwise you got a free high pressure washout. The khazi was horrific afterwards, turds floating everywhere in a couple of inches of water. You only went for a shit in your flip flops once!