Sea Planes

Discussion in 'History' started by BillyNoMates, Feb 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Fascinating sites, Billy. I get the feeling that the compiler of the first one is a teensy bit anti-carrier!

Brings back watching the SARO Princess do a flypast at Farnborough in the 1950s. Saunders Roe had come along way from an Isle of Wight boatbuilder - the original Saunders is buried at Whippingham in a coffin shaped like a boat. In the late 40s there was a SARO jet flying-boat fighter proposed which would operate from remote island bases, the publicity used to show it soaring above a palm-fringed atoll etc. There ware still Sunderlands at China Bay in Ceylon in '56.

2. Remember Sunderlands coming in and out of the Sound in Guzz in the 50s - now that was a sight worth seeing.
    Then they flew a Catalina across the Atlantic more recently, and it hit a buoy in the Sound, messily removing one of the wing floats......

3. I remember the Catalina incident, I was an RO1(T) working at Longroom at the time and was talking to them on their approach, terrible waste, it had just been restored IIRC.

Ian