Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by spearfish, Sep 20, 2007.
The heart of the site is the forum area, including:
Not very pleasant.Look how quickly the fire spreads!
Good job they had only just lifted off - imagine that happening a few hundred feet in the air!
I am glad I am not doing their laundry...
Ok,so who was smoking during take off?
This appears later on in the comments about the fire:
"This happened in Sept of 1998 aboard the
"Bonhomer Richard", pronounced with a
french dialect. My squadron was HMM-164 and I was
a CH-46 Helo Mech. We were supporting Operation
Urban Warrior off the Monterey coast in
California. This bird was taking media crews back
and forth from land to the carrier all day and at
this moment they were leaving to go back to shore.
I was in the chow hall aboard the Bonhomer
"Dick" when this happened. CH-46
crewchief Sgt. Beyers received smoke inhalation
while saving these people and was treated at the
scene. For his actions "under fire", no
pun intended, he received a Certificate of
comendation and a "NAM". After
investigating, it was found that a pinhole in one
of the aft transmission lines was
atomizing(spraying) fluid and the spray was being
sucked into the aft generator and this caused the
fire. Transmission fluid is not flammable in large
quantities but when atomized it is very flammable.
The aft portion of this bird was completely
destroyed and had to be removed and replaced.
After 9 months of rebuilding this bird was put
back into the fleet and renumbered. Before the
fire it was #07 and after we got it back it was
Cpl Petree USMC 97-02 "
I think the cameraman may have been a retard! He seems to be more interested in filming the fire as a scoop than he does getting out! And then it hits him, he just runs into everyone.
Good to see everyone got out OK, one for the grandchildren.
Thats my Boy! Good press cameraman/photographer carries on no matter what.
Separate names with a comma.