Sea Fury crash lands.

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by SONAR-BENDER, Jul 31, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Glad the pilot is fine.

Same problem with a Sea Fury doing the Air Show rounds years back, late 80's.

Sea Fury, one undercarriage failed to lower following a display at HMS Gannet, Ayreshire. Pilot John Beattie.

After several attempts to lower the undercarriage by bouncing the serviceable wheel off the runway in an attempt to lower the broken one. The pilot, John, decided to fly the Sea Fury out to sea and ditch it. He climbed to 5000 feet and walked onto the wing and parachuted down to the ogin below. A 819 Sea King had been scrambled to pick the pilot up.

As soon as the pilot hit the water, the rescue strop was placed over his head and the parachute released. The rescuing aircrewman was John's ex aircrewman from his time as a Wasp pilot, Billy 'Basha' Briggs. On arrival in the crew room, John was proud to show everyone his dry hair. He hadn't even got his hair wet after a sea ditching.
    A short while later he also managed to ditch the navies last flying Sea Fury, on land this time just south of Yeovilton airfield.

Dit over!!!
    • Like Like x 2

2. Nicely flown.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Like the crabfat quote from Cambride (prob somebody at my place of work), sorry cant make it any bigger :(

4. Was going well until it got the "most professional" bit and then started going awry . . .
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Unless of course it was a mis-spelling of RNAS? Or FAA.
  6. Just heard on the grapevine it was an ex crab WO here he has been right royally ribbed for it
  7. Good piece of film, Brings back a lot of memories, sat on the airfield at Culdrose in either Crash or Rescue 1. Always at the ready in case of accidents, and sometimes having to deal with them. Those who are members of the AHA will know well how it used to work--------NOSTRIS.:thumbup:
  8. I know smeg all about aircraft but that undercarriage didn't look like it was locked in place, would this indicate a hydraulic failure?
  9. Could be many things. Whole hydraulic system or perhaps a small valve in the system. Assuming its hydraulic.

Modern aircraft have backup air systems should the hydraulics fail. Fall back can be a geometric lock which is a mechanical set up that once gravity has got the gear down the geometry will retain a locked down undercarriage.

Like I said - a few variables. Me - I'm just gonna wait until the big boys in white ovies print their report!!!!!:thumbup:
  10. Speaking to our RNA president who is an old and bold ex Sea Fury pilot it was a common thing? However what happened at CU is very rare and usually ended up a lot worse. I'm not sure ref the Hyds, the harrier had an emergency blow down system if the shit hit the fan. I can only assume the Fury didn't?

If he had a observer with him he could have climbed out and took a shufty
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I take the hint but having played with HP hydraulics, with the white smoke and wobbly legs I just wondered if the old and bold woo's had any ideas of Sea Fury mechanics.

At least I now know modern aircraft have back up systems, every day a school day.
  12. Wiki.

The hydraulic system, necessary to operate the retractable undercarriage and tail hook, as well as moving the wing flaps, was pressurised to 1,800 psi by an engine-driven pump. If this failed a hand pump in the cockpit could also power these systems; a pneumatic pump was also driven by the engine for the brakes
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ImageUploadedByNavy Net - Rum Ration1406926099.069009.jpg

Our RNA president (Left) being presented with a drawing of his first Sea Fury solo by the artist, my father in law

p.s he is available for commissions
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Take your point re the smoke. If the engine was playing up and the hydraulic pump was governed by that part of the engine then it could be assumed the pilot knew he was in for a belly landing. The one thing I have taken away from 25 years playing with aircraft they can turn up some odd snags!!!!! Hence my waiting for the final report comment.
  15. If it was a hydraulic snag I'd imagine he'd would have been pumping for Britain at the height he was at :shock:
  16. Or was that just what happened to the Grocer's store?
  17. I wouldn't have thought they'd use OX30, but you never know.

A hydraulic burst or major leak in red lighting was always fun!