Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Sea Cadets?

lesbryan said:
If you have naver had nothing to do with SCC .WHY DO YOU BOTHER POSTING ???????????? :?:

Hold on matey, calm down.

1) It's a public forum

2) I said the following "Well I'm nothing to do with the SCC" I did say I NEVER have, and anyway, even if I'm not part of the organisation doesnt mean I havent had anything to do with the other cadet forces eg CCF(RN)

3) I posted because (if you read my post) I wondered what the correct way of doing it was, as I had only ever seen one version. People are allowed to enquire about things are they not?

capt ahab,

your quite right old boy, this is a public forum, any questions and queeries are welcome. (some complete bone questions will get some leary answers, but thats the RN/RM for you).

the question you asked still confuses serving navy personell, ahab.

if people can come onto this site, and learn something about the scc/cadets RN/RM, then it can only be a good thing.

as to yoe - yoe's question,

i think the nearest we have is the CCF, combined cadet force, which is NORMALY done at bording schools, and 1 or 2 other schools.

mainly done as an after school activity, it started years ago, as a good place to scource good officer material, and is still seen as such today. they have many more facilities than the scc, which is a charity, and the ccf are certainly better equiped that the scc.

im sure i will be corrected on any mistakes i have made, but feel free to ask any questions about what ever puzzels you.

yours aye

jason

www.savedutchy.co.uk

Having scanned through most of this thread I am a little saddened by the comments some have made about the SCC.

Yes there are a few SCC Officers and SR who let the side down but that is true of any group of people most of us are highly dedicated spend hours gaining qualifications to enable us to give the youth of our country an adventurous, safe and purposeful experience based on the traditions of the RN

The adult volunteers, like me, on paper we volunteer to two evenings a week and the odd weekend in reality many of us give up a lot more time than that often a great financial cost personally, yes in theory there is pay and travel but quite frankly its like rocking horse s*!t we now get 2 days pay for a 5 day course and have to pay course fees and if in the Ward Room EMC.

Before you knock us to hard pay a visit to a Sea Cadet Unit all are self funding charities they don't receive any MoD funding so every penny has to be raised.

We have some very high achieving Cadets many of them join the RN. We also provide a "Naval" presence in 400 towns in the UK.

SCC Officers have the RNR as grace and favour yes we are in the Navy List but we do not have any reserve commitment.

I was a CCF Cadet Under Officer(admittedly many years ago)and on the whole CCF cadets looked like scranbags!The uniform was terrible and hasnt got much better(in fact i think its worse).The CCF was directly funded from the MOD,so did get some good kit.We for instance got a brand new Cheverton Champ power boat!I also was an Adult Uniformed Instructor in the SCC.From what i saw,you cant really put the 2 organisations in the same league.The SCC was by far the most professional looking and Seamanship like,the Units were run in a most competant manner.As for kit,what the SCC Units did have were looked after properly and consequently performed better for it(except the MV Kiwi at Cambridge SCC,for some reason it would konk out just opposite the Pub at Baits Bite Lock!)Give me the SCC everytime!(shame i had to give it up as i was studying for my RGN at the time)

andy,

the scc are always looking for volunteers mate, im sure if you pop down to your local sea cadet unit, they will welcome you with open arms.

just leave you medical bag at home, you dont want to frighten the cadets too early....

yours aye

jason

www.savedutchy.co.uk

I would dearly love to get back into it,i actually know the CO of my local Unit.Unfortunatly i really dont have the time to devote to it.I wouldnt go in halfhearted and realise just how much time it really does take.

Up until a week ago I was a member of the MarienCadet side of the SCC.
As an ex soldier I took up the challenge of setting up and running a brand new MCD, I have completed my IM course, First aid course and the Instructors Qualifying course, all within 6 months of joining (you are allowed 3 years) I also managed to recruit 4 staff and 8 Cadets. However my CO decided that my way of doing things wasn't the same as his ( I prefer to follow the book entirely ) so he has just had me fired for misconduct. I still haven't been told what act of misconduct and even though Sea Cadet Regulations state that only Commodore Sea Cadets can Terminate an appointment, still no-one has bothered to answer my queries as to what will happen about this. I for one am very dissillusioned with the entire Corps.

happy dave,

can i ask what unit your were at?

officers are appointed in the scc, all other staff are accountable to the CO and unit management commite.

bloody good show in starting an MCD from scratch and recruiting cadets and staff mate.

as dunkers said, this is not good. at the very least, you should expect to know the reason for your leaving?

yours aye

jason

www.savedutchy.co.uk

Nine times out of ten, the SCC can be brilliant and almost all staff will give it 120%, and most don't get the recongition they deserve as they give up so much for the cadets, and good on them for doing so, they have helped countless young people sort their lives out from muppets on street corners to disciplined young people.

However I have seen a very very small minority of senior ranks who think that they are god, and the upper lot at HQ seem to be unable to organise a Piss up in a brewery!

Oh and the SCC and Marine Detachments (+One Marine Unit) would have their CCF equivilents anyday!

happydave said:
As an ex soldier I took up the challenge of setting up and running a brand new MCD, I have completed my IM course, First aid course and the Instructors Qualifying course, all within 6 months of joining (you are allowed 3 years) I also managed to recruit 4 staff and 8 Cadets. However my CO decided that my way of doing things wasn't the same as his ( I prefer to follow the book entirely ) so he has just had me fired for misconduct. I still haven't been told what act of misconduct and even though Sea Cadet Regulations state that only Commodore Sea Cadets can Terminate an appointment, still no-one has bothered to answer my queries as to what will happen about this. I for one am very dissillusioned with the entire Corps.

Suggest you write a letter to the Area Officer and CC a copy to the Commodore.

You may find that your dissmissal hasnt been sanctioned.

You are correct - a CO can suspend you but not fire you - a DO can only process a P7, it still needs signing off by LB.

We had a member of staff who took us 3 years to bin from the corps. so i would challenge the validity of your discharge.

Another avenue is the Chair of the UMC, he can fire the CO (from his role - not from the corps) if the Chair is sympathetic he can put pressure on the CO to reinstate you.

and Finally, approach another unit - thier loss would be a new units gain, dont suppose you want to come to Chesterfield Unit or Burton upon Trent?

Rincewind

happydave said:

I suspect the real reason is that your sterling efforts have shown him up as inefficient. The classic way someone with an inferiority complex and power deals with a subordinate showing them up, is to either belittle them or get rid of them.

As an ex Marine Cadet I kept my gob shut when I joined the Army in 1989, I told nobody and was made the course senior, certainly a credit to the cadets in my view. Best years of my life, all gets serious when you join up though.

Ratrat said:
Not wanting to swing the lamp too much but when Sea Cadets joined the Service through HMS Ganges, they were so highly thought of that they were nearly always made the "Leading Junior" of their class, Class Leader in HMS Raleigh speak.

As soon as the Staff in the NE Block found out that I was a former Sea Cadet (Within 2 hours of joining), I was detailed as Class Leader and remained so through out my Part 1 and Part 2 Training.

52 state schools have a CCF not sure how many have a navy section though.I know they need an army section to have a CCF at all.I Agree that some public school CCFs can be scruffy but that is because they are press ganged into the CCF,its all to do with funding from the MOD each financial year I think. state schools have more to prove as they tend to come from the same background as SCC ACF ATCs.

Latest Threads