Sea Cadets are looking for volunteers

Despite the spelling mistake in the title the SCC staff who freely donate their time and sacrifice their social life do need all the help they can get, Being a member of staff or volunteer at the local unit can become a full time job on top of your day job and other duties foisted upon you as a parent and husband etc, if anyone can help out in any capacity either as uniformed or non uniformed it usually is warmly welcomed and appreciated especially from children from a more chaotic home life etc

That's not in doubt SCC_SUPPORTER, but there do seem to be Units that run essentially as little fiefdoms and actually deter potential joiners, as noted above.

But I totally agree - these are the few bad apples and they are very much tarring everyone with the same brush which is totally unfair.

Advice is - if you are interested, find your local Sea Cadet Unit, visit them and offer what you can. It is up to them on whether or not to take you up on it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And you will find it a very rewarding experience, if you are able to join us.

Huntingdon (cambs) is really strugging for ex RN to help out, I said I will do what I can but cannot commit to the serious help they need.

However we have (Hunts RNA) just given then £300 to send a Cadet on the Royalist.

Capn_Pugwash

Lantern Swinger
Despite the spelling mistake in the title the SCC staff who freely donate their time and sacrifice their social life do need all the help they can get, Being a member of staff or volunteer at the local unit can become a full time job on top of your day job and other duties foisted upon you as a parent and husband etc, if anyone can help out in any capacity either as uniformed or non uniformed it usually is warmly welcomed and appreciated especially from children from a more chaotic home life etc
It is just a pity that the hierarchy in London cant get there sh*t together to the extent of spelling a post correctly. or checking it to see the responses and dealing with their error.

Indicates a general lack of competence and professionalism at the top.

It is just a pity that the hierarchy in London cant get there sh*t together to the extent of spelling a post correctly. or checking it to see the responses and dealing with their error.

Indicates a general lack of competence and professionalism at the top.
I know it looks bad but on the local issues I couldn't care about their spelling as i would prefer if they got their act together and actually got replacement uniform sent up for cadets and those out of the Juniors as well as those who have been there a few months and still patiently waiting,

Capn_Pugwash

Lantern Swinger
I need to get typing lessons and you need to get a life!

My original point stands. I am just an off watch hooligan. They are supposed to be the HQ of a youth organisation trying to encourage serving and ex- naval personnel to get involved in their organisation.

I'm not trying to impress anyone. And clearly succeeding.

New to this site but not new to the Navy or the SCC and this thread intrigued me as I have experienced many of the things other have mentioned.

I spent 6 years in the SCC before joining the Andrew and it undoubtedly helped me. I used to go back to my old unit regularly in my early years to help out and always did everything I could when at sea to help out our affiliated units, getting them sea time etc. When both my children decided they wanted to join our local unit I was delighted; the eldest transitioned all the way through to PO Cadet, won various national awards and is now an instructor which he will carry on through Uni before he hopefully joins BRNC in 3 years time. My wife is the chairman of the UMC.

About 5 years ago, I was asked by the Unit CO if I would help out and used to go down to help with things like leadership and promotion board preparation and that seemed fine. CRB was never an issue as I was never alone with the cadets (even though I actually held several CRBs for other youth work I did).

However, when I left the Navy 2½ years ago I was clearly told by the Area Officer that if I wanted to carry on I would have to become a civilian instructor and work through the promotion structure, despite having 32 years of regular service as an officer! Now there were some things I was prepared to do and that was not one of them. After all even my son was able to go from Cadet PO one day to adult A/PO the next day without having to become a CI. This was even tabled by my wife to the Captain of the Corps at the Unit Chairman's conference and his response was "yes, that's one of the problems we have". If I'd been a senior rating, I could have carried my rank into the corps but apparently not an officer.

In the end we resolved it (sort of) by using the fact that I am also a Lay Reader in the Anglican Church, so they appointed me as Unit Chaplain, but 2½ years on I'm still waiting to be called forward by the Area Chaplain to be interviewed and for my P1 to be approved. So I remain "unofficial". The phrase "p*** ups and breweries" comes to mind. I wonder how many other willing volunteers they lose?

Totally understand and appreciate your post, Wookie42.

There are other more concerning aspects creeping into the SCC nowadays. One is the gradual professionalisation of the instructional cadre i.e. virtually every adult volunteer. We have dropped the tried and tested IM in favour of licensing. A bureaucratic burden being imposed which will be of no real benefit to anyone and due the protracted and complex nature of it, will be yet another deterrent to bringing in those who have a more casual approach to the volunteering yet who would not just be perfectly capable but a probable asset to the Unit and the Corps. They are losing sight of the fact that we do this primarily as a hobby. We used to joke about it being a second job - now the Head Shed is turning it into one.

Second, and this is more of a personal thing - for those of you who may follow certain Units, Districts or Areas as well as National releases on Facebook or in their official publications - have you noticed anything? None of the kids have their surnames reported anymore. It is now just AC Jack or POC Jenny, possibly with their Unit referenced. It has anonymised them to the point where you may as well not report it at all. This is a Scouts thing and supposedly is for their protection, but to me it is the same thing as the idea of gender-restricted public transport. I just shake my head at it and think why bother reading their releases now. Might as well just say "A cadet from BlahBlah Unit has recently gained an award". It is so crap they even had a report about a lad becoming Lord Lieutenant Cadet but he was only called POC Jake. Seriously.

I had to check SCRs as I found this unbelievable, that a retired RN officer could not side step into the SCC? My situation was similar except I side stepped from the CCF to SCC as a wavy navy LT, I tried to revert to CPO as I was that in the mob, but they wanted me to go as an LT. Have you tried higher up the food chain for help? I will google the ex RN officer that dealt with me to see if you can access his email from the public domain and suggest you have a word with him, standby!

I have found the Eastern Area officer for the SCC on linkedin, that means you could find him as well, ask if he can help seeing as you have already been commissioned, he is a retired 3 ringer and wears that!

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
See my previous comment. I am not a national organisation, try to recruit adult leaders, I am an off-watch hooligan and succeeding in not impressing anyone.

As you are following this thread, what are you doing to support the SCC? Or are you a full-time speeling and grammer Nazi?
Epsom Salt is our full time site special person. He contributes much here in oh so many special ways :)

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Its RR - its always relevant, it just takes a while to find the relevance beneath the mountain of distraction.

See - I can be whimsical like epsom-salts :)