SE RTO options?

Geo76

Hi everyone, my application for SE cadetship was rejected due to not having a full maths A Level. Is it possible to join as an engineer apprentice, with intention of LH SE then RTO. Is this a plausible route for SE? I think it would be of benefit going in as a rating first to get a good engineering foundation as I have no previous knowledge just an interest, but is the RTO only an option for ME officer or are there routes into the SE department? I know they are currently considering having a lower level entry requirement and looking at colleges that will accept GCSE levels but this probably won't happen anytime soon and may lack the engineering basics that I would like behind me before starting a cadetship.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Yes it is possible to go RTO as an SE, but it is rare (I have only met 2 in the last decade). The problem is that there is no such thing as a LH(SE) or PO(SE), there are only LH(E) or PO(E)s who have done an SE adqual. There is no guarantee of repeat appointment to an SE crew billet either. There is also a higher demand for ME officers than SE officers and so most engineering RTOs even if electrically inclined are only offered ME (needs of the service).

If you wish to become an SE officer and you have no prior experience at sea, I would strongly suggest the RTO route is the last resort. Better to study and pass your A level and apply for the cadetship again.

EightSixteen

Badgeman
In theory it can be done but I've heard first hand how sketchy the process actually is. It essentially involves interviewing for SE Officer and then subsequently having to resign as LH(E)... Not even remotely similar to the internal process of going RTO(E).

I'd be inclined to do the A level and reapply for the cadetship. You could also consider doing HNC Electrical as that involves Maths for Engineering 2 which is comparable with A level maths. If your heart is set on the cadetship I'd get confirmation of this being acceptable in writing before going down that route.

Random

Lantern Swinger
In theory it can be done but I've heard first hand how sketchy the process actually is. It essentially involves interviewing for SE Officer and then subsequently having to resign as LH(E)... Not even remotely similar to the internal process of going RTO(E)
That was the system before there were SE cadetships and a requirement to hold an ETO license. As a route it it is still possible to challenge for an officer's rank if you have the correct qualifications, however there is now a formal RTO route as well (but not many people are allowed on it)

EightSixteen

Badgeman
That was the system before there were SE cadetships and a requirement to hold an ETO license. As a route it it is still possible to challenge for an officer's rank if you have the correct qualifications, however there is now a formal RTO route as well (but not many people are allowed on it)
I'm happy to be corrected if I'm in the wrong but last I heard (two trips back) this was still the case. S01 & S02 actually advised that Capt SE was still looking at how an official mechanism could be shored up as there is an appetite for it but nothing official in place to facilitate it.

Random

Lantern Swinger
I'm happy to be corrected if I'm in the wrong but last I heard (two trips back) this was still the case.
Requirement for new hires (substantive) to have an ETO license is just over a year old (based on feedback I have received on here). Requirement for existing branch to obtain the license is about 3 months old. RTO route has been in existence since the ETO cadetship, the issue is budgetary. Why spend money on RTO when we are receiving enough qualified candidates without.

The budgetary stuff is getting sorted. The issue is nothing in government service is quick. And yes this penny pinching annoys most of us SEs.

Last edited: