SDSR Query

Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I am just trying to get my head round something here.

I understand the idea is that there is an SDSR every government, and that the last was in 2015.

My question is, is the current government in the process of compiling an SDSR or a new review? I'm reading online about a National Security Capability Review, does this replace the SDSR (does it perform the same function?) or is it a red herring? How does Gavin Williamson's 'Defence Modernisation Programme' fit into it? Is that going to effectively take it back to being an SDR a la 1998?

Cheers in advance for any insights, I've tried rifling around the MOD website on this but to no avail.

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I understand the idea is that there is an SDSR every government, and that the last was in 2015.
Usually yes as this is the mechanism by which an incoming Government can be assured the MoD is configured to deliver what it expects of them

Twenty-one Ten said:
My question is, is the current government in the process of compiling an SDSR or a new review? I'm reading online about a National Security Capability Review, does this replace the SDSR (does it perform the same function?) or is it a red herring? How does Gavin Williamson's 'Defence Modernisation Programme' fit into it? Is that going to effectively take it back to being an SDR a la 1998?
NSCR (NSCR report) was commissioned by the National Security Council to examine the implementation plans for the 2015 National Security Strategy and Strategic Defence and Security Review, really its a capacity review. However Defence wanted a dedicated military (capability) review and that strand has morphed into MDP which isn't a review and isn't a substitute for an SDSR.

I believe, even with all the work we are doing now on MDP, we will still undertake an SDSR next year but MDP will perhaps shorten the work needed.

Hope that helps

Usually yes as this is the mechanism by which an incoming Government can be assured the MoD is configured to deliver what it expects of them

NSCR (NSCR report) was commissioned by the National Security Council to examine the implementation plans for the 2015 National Security Strategy and Strategic Defence and Security Review, really its a capacity review. However Defence wanted a dedicated military (capability) review and that strand has morphed into MDP which isn't a review and isn't a substitute for an SDSR.

I believe, even with all the work we are doing now on MDP, we will still undertake an SDSR next year but MDP will perhaps shorten the work needed.

Hope that helps
This has helped a lot, thank you very much!

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I am just trying to get my head round something here.

Cheers in advance for any insights, I've tried rifling around the MOD website on this but to no avail.
More GDPR than SDSR perhaps?