SDSR again - Shock news a Minister does his job!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wurz, Sep 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Of course this could be an exceptionally well-planned and stage-managed programme which would strengthen the Government's reputation at a time when the armed forces have the almost universal support of the British Public.

Cameron has stated his commitment to the armed forces
    The country is deep in the poo and cuts are inevitable
    Every department has to take some sort of hit
    Fox points out how much of a special case the armed forces are at the moment and argues for a delay to cuts until after we withdraw from Afghanistan
    Cameron gives it a severe thinking and agrees to "modest efficiency measures"
    ConDem coalition gets a public thumbs up just as Ed Millipede is trying to win the front pages
    Hurrah!

Or ... I could be wrong!

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Don't think it's a stunt. The scale of the cuts I'm hearing (RN and RAF) are quite eye watering and will definately have a lasting impact. I suspect Dr Fox has come to a realistic conclusion.

3. Well, at least this time its positive press this is the first time i've seen anything from the Government (leaked for public reaction no doubt) acknowledging what we all ready know.

4. How come every time I send a letter, no one else sees it. When an MP does it, it goes via the press

5. A big spanner in the Navy and Air Force works is the man who spoke at 0750A today on http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00txmh5#synopsis

Regrettably it isn't yet available to listen again. He sounds more like a politician with every week that goes by. If Fox suddenly becomes not needed/needed elsewhere, I wonder if the former man in brown will be invited to stand in?

6. Could Dammitt not get a real job when he left? Gash hand pongos!

7. Which is what was predicted quite widely I believe almost as soon as the possible extent of the cuts was first mooted.
    Drown the public in gloom and doom, and then offer a slightly less painful solution.
    Bang arn't we top guys look how we listen look how open minded we are. Sounds like just another con(dem) trick to me.

8. leaked on purpose I think

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Possibly because "Dear Mr Greengrocer, please send another bag of spuds, Luv Father Famine XXX" doesn't carry the same gravitas. :wink:

10. Just heard on the radio that Fox is "appalled" about the leak and is demanding an enquiry.

Just out of interest, can you troop yourself for indiscretions?

11. You need an oppo to shout 'Off caps' ! :wink:

12. He's not the quickest out of the starting blocks is he?